What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

13 hours ago, IpMan said:

What really sucks is that the night before has a great audience source, very clear and defined. They were playing pretty damn good that night as well despite Page's issues. Too bad that dude did not attend the 10th show, or, left his equipment at home.

Oh really?  I've never bothered listening to 4/9 because of Page's issues.  Maybe I ought to check it out...

I'm not a piano expert, but the sound of that Yahama keyboard that Jonesy uses at the Knebworth gigs always struck me--the way it sounds compared to the old fenders from 73 and 75. I don't know if it makes the 79 Quarters any better, the sound just really stands out....

👌

May 3, 1971 - Copenhagen -- One of Plant's best shows ever, and one of the rarest setlists...

Off-topic: also listened to the Grateful Dead's May 3, 1972 Paris show today--one of the best shows of their Europe '72 tour.

May 5, 1973 - Tampa -- First time listening to this actually--figured the 45th anniversary of them breaking the Beatles' attendance record was a good day to check it out.  Quite impressed so far!  Sound quality is pretty good too.

Salt Lake City 26 May 1973  An excellent recording - great mix - and a most enjoyable show.  A few notes

Celebration Day has some country-fied licks in the outro guitar solo.  Very cool.

TSRTS has a gong during the intro.  

No Quarter has some subtle keyboard and guitar variations to the standard 73 phrasing that I don't think I have heard in other shows.  maybe they just stand out because the sound and mix on this are so excellent.

WLL has a great funky section.

Looking back it must have been something of a clash of cultures for the 1973 Zeppelin to be in Salt Lake City in 1973.  A very conservative Mormon area, especially back 45 years ago.

Earlier today I listened to 27 April 1977 Destroyer Remastered on the Bad Girl Songs label from the Black Beauty site.   It goes only through Battle of Evermore but this is a revelation!  I don't think I have enjoyed any other 1977 soundboard this much.  And the show is better than most people seem to think it is, at least to my ears.  The sound is amazing - it has so much  crunch and PUNCH!  The band is TIGHT.  The recording seems to capture perfectly the hazy intensity and mania of that tour and of the whole year 1977.  It has tinges of the decadence and yet the overwhelming power that was Zeppelin in 1977.  They were the biggest rock band at the time and this captures that in all its glory.  As Page has said on his site - the 1977 tour featured "a full-on energy approach".  Indeed Jimmy, indeed!  Or to quote one Mr. R. Plant "welcome to three hours of lunacy".

Edited by John M

A few days ago I mentioned 27 April 1977 Destroyer Remastered on the Bad Girl Songs label from the Black Beauty site.  I was listening to it again yesterday because the sound and performance are so great. What really struck me was how powerful Plant was, particularly on Sick Again, Nobody's Fault but Mine, and Dying Time.  In Sick Again his voice breaks for one instant early in the song but then he gathers steam and really takes off.  The ending to Nobody's Fault is a herculean effort and result by Robert.  I have always marveled at how strong he came back in 1977 after 1975.   Sure it is not the 1971 or 72 Plant, but he is amazing in 1977 and I really noticed in this show.   

1 hour ago, John M said:

A few days ago I mentioned 27 April 1977 Destroyer Remastered on the Bad Girl Songs label from the Black Beauty site.  I was listening to it again yesterday because the sound and performance are so great. What really struck me was how powerful Plant was, particularly on Sick Again, Nobody's Fault but Mine, and Dying Time.  In Sick Again his voice breaks for one instant early in the song but then he gathers steam and really takes off.  The ending to Nobody's Fault is a herculean effort and result by Robert.  I have always marveled at how strong he came back in 1977 after 1975.   Sure it is not the 1971 or 72 Plant, but he is amazing in 1977 and I really noticed in this show.   

This show has been dogged for years.  Just don't get all the hate it has gotten.  Sure, it's not 1973 Jimmy, but whatever fluency he lacked that night (year) Bonzo more than made up for with his playing.  His (Bonzo's) performance alone puts this in my top 10 all time Zep Boots.

On 5/16/2018 at 2:14 PM, LedElvis75 said:

This show has been dogged for years.  Just don't get all the hate it has gotten.  Sure, it's not 1973 Jimmy, but whatever fluency he lacked that night (year) Bonzo more than made up for with his playing.  His (Bonzo's) performance alone puts this in my top 10 all time Zep Boots.

Different folks and different strokes. To me because Jimmy sounds a bit meh it was a major disappointment when I first got hold of 27 April tapes in the 80’s. I’ve tried several times but can’t get into the concert as a whole.

I like the sound quality of the Houston show but Jimmy isn’t great. Jonesy rarely had a bad song let alone a bad gig, Bonzo rarely mucked up. Robert had struggles over the years but if Jimmy was off I have problems.

77 to me Jimmy was inconsistent within a gig let alone from gig to gig. Perhaps I need to change my way of listening to these concerts and create a highlights playlist of the songs I can listen to and enjoy.