What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

16 hours ago, Slowfoot said:

Different folks and different strokes. To me because Jimmy sounds a bit meh it was a major disappointment when I first got hold of 27 April tapes in the 80’s. I’ve tried several times but can’t get into the concert as a whole.

I like the sound quality of the Houston show but Jimmy isn’t great. Jonesy rarely had a bad song let alone a bad gig, Bonzo rarely mucked up. Robert had struggles over the years but if Jimmy was off I have problems.

77 to me Jimmy was inconsistent within a gig let alone from gig to gig. Perhaps I need to change my way of listening to these concerts and create a highlights playlist of the songs I can listen to and enjoy. 

I agree with you on this. As Zeppelin was a four piece, the instrumental section had to be tight, if ANY member of the instrumental section was off the whole show sounded like shit to me. This is why the only boots I find acceptable is when Jimmy, JPJ, & JB are all on point. There are plenty of 77' & 80' shows where this is the case (though in 80' Bonzo was reserved, he was not bad) so I don't complain. 

The shows in 77' I gravitate toward are the MSG & the first three LA shows, plus the final Landover show as well. In 80' the first four shows are great as well as Frankfurt.

May 18, 1975 - London -- I don't think I've listened to it since May 18 last year, which has been a huge mistake!  Easily a top-five '75 show, probably top-three!  Jimmy is on fire--can't wait for gibsonfan159's nitpicks of the Earls Court shows...

May 22, 1977 - Ft. Worth -- One of the better '77 shows, and one of the best recordings from the tour sound quality-wise.  Sounds better than most, if not all, of the other '77 soundboards, and I find too many of the '77 audience tapes have a very harsh, metallic sound to them--maybe Jones' Alembic + Bonham's stainless steel kit + something else I haven't considered?

It's an orgy of Earls Court '75 at work today. May 17, 18, and 23 - nine-plus hours worth. I have long felt that the May 24 and 25 gigs get all the hype and glory at the expense of the earlier shows...mainly due to the fact that only video from May 24 and 25 has been released. But the May 17,  18, and 23 have a wealth of delights to tickle the listener and have a consistency and sleek momentum somewhat lacking in the final two shows. Particularly the 18th and 23rd.

20180523_094319.thumb.jpg.25441896f88586d23cd5f6cb57956ec0.jpg

May 25, 1975 - London -- Decided this year that I would listen to it first, so that I could compare it to the other '75 shows "apples to apples," and then watch the DVD a few days from now.  I think it's certainly a Top-10 '75 show, especially when you factor in the setlist.  If only it had the "Dazed And Confused" from the previous night...

I'm on "The Song Remains The Same" right now; it's gotta be the most coked-up version of TSRTS ever--its running time is about 5:03, which has to be the shortest version ever without a cut in the tape...

May 31, 1973 - Los Angeles -- Bonzo "banging his balls out" on his 25th birthday; would've been 70 today 😪❤️  Perhaps Strider would care to share his recollections of the show? 🤞

Makes me wish we had a recording for 5/31/77 Greensboro -- Bonzo's Birthday Party, Vol. II

Edited by Bonzo_fan

7 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

May 31, 1973 - Los Angeles -- Bonzo "banging his balls out" on his 25th birthday; would've been 70 today 😪❤️  Perhaps Strider would care to share his recollections of the show? 🤞

Makes me wish we had a recording for 5/31/77 Greensboro -- Bonzo's Birthday Party, Vol. II

Doing the same. . It's hard to believe that this show is 45 years old. The Wendy version is the best I've heard and it sounds damn good today. RIP BONZO

On 5/31/2018 at 1:19 AM, paul carruthers said:

This and TU from the next night, are my go to's for a bit of late Led Zeppelin magic. It is incredible just how explosive and brilliant this rendition is. Absolute perfection from all 4. Completely in sync and complementing each other. It's like they are in their prime. It must have melted many a face in the first few rows. If your ears are not ringing after listening to this, or if you don't start involuntarily stomping, swaying, air drumming and generally "head banging" through this, you're doing it wrong!

^^ Yeah man, for me that one from the 29th tops all live ones--even the ones they always nailed in '75. The more 80 shows I sift through, I still have yet to find one where the "heroin" is supposedly taking over.

Jimmy didn't do everything 100% right or technically proficient, but I have not heard anything completely horrible or would make you flinch like some of the stuff from 8/11/79....

On 6/1/2018 at 2:44 AM, rm2551 said:

This and TU from the next night, are my go to's for a bit of late Led Zeppelin magic. It is incredible just how explosive and brilliant this rendition is. Absolute perfection from all 4. Completely in sync and complementing each other. It's like they are in their prime. It must have melted many a face in the first few rows. If your ears are not ringing after listening to this, or if you don't start involuntarily stomping, swaying, air drumming and generally "head banging" through this, you're doing it wrong!

Great points.  The Zurich Trampled is just fantastic as you described.  When I hear tracks like this I realize I don't listen to 1980 shows enough. 

Thanks to Paul for reminding us often about 1980. 

I just had another listen. Maaaaaaaaaaan, that is as good as anything live I think. The guitar and those keys in the middle, and most of the outro. And Bonzo and Percy. The swing and groove... Everyone going along. Improv's from everywhere but tight as fuck.

Just ridiculous. They must have been thinking how good it all still was after deliveries like that.