What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

On 6/19/2018 at 11:52 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

June 19, 1972 - Seattle -- One of their very best shows ever--I'd say it's in the top 5, along with 9/19/70 (Evening), 9/29/71, and some other two.  Features the debuts of "The Ocean" (only time it wasn't an encore song), "Black Country Woman" (the only full-length live performance of it, and the only non-'77 performance), "Dancing Days" (twice) and "Over The Hills And Far Away" (only time as an encore).  Jones' organ solo includes "Amazing Grace" and "Everyday People," before the rest of the band join in for "Louie Louie" and "Let's Dance," then finally into "Thank You".  

The three epics are all long and great, even with the cuts in the tape during each; "Dazed And Confused" (28 min, maybe 1-2 min cut) features some really unique bits that I haven't heard in other versions, "Moby Dick" (20 min, could be as much as 5+ min cut, who knows) is excellent, and "Whole Lotta Love" (26.5 min, probably 2.5 min cut) features what I'm pretty sure is the only time they covered "Only The Lonely," as well as the occasionally played "Heartbreak Hotel," in addition to the usual suspects for the U.S. '72 medleys.  The short songs are all performed fantastically as well.  One of the best acoustic sets of all time as well, right up there with 9/29/71 & 6/27/77.

For those who don't have it, setlist:

1.     Immigrant Song

2.     Heartbreaker

3.     Black Dog

4.     The Ocean*

5.     Since I've Been Loving You

6.     Stairway To Heaven

7.     Going To California

8.     Black Country Woman*

9.     That's The Way

10.   Tangerine

11.   Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

12.   Dazed And Confused

13.   What Is And What Should Never Be

14.   Dancing Days*

15.   Moby Dick

16.   Whole Lotta Love (incl. Boogie Chillen, Let's Have A Party, Hello Mary Lou, Only The Lonely, Heartbreak Hotel & Goin' Down Slow)

17.   Rock And Roll

18.   Organ Solo (incl. Amazing Grace, Everyday People, Louie Louie & Let's Dance)

19.   Thank You

20.   Money (That's What I Want)

21.   Over The Hills And Far Away*

22.   Dancing Days

* = live debut

Setlist: 10/10

Performance: 10/10

Sound Quality: 5/10 (am I being too generous?)

It's a terrible shame that this is the only recording we have of such an unbelievable, all-time great show.  I wouldn't usually bother with sound quality like this, but this performance is way too good to let sound quality stand in the way.  

If I were to pick any concert throughout history to attend, this may be the one.

22 minutes ago, blooze said:

If I were to pick any concert throughout history to attend, this may be the one.

Same. If I could attend a concert with multiple artists, I'd probably choose Woodstock. But if it had to be a single act, Led Zeppelin in Seattle on June 19th, 1972 would be my pick!

How Many More Times, Montreux 1970 soundboard.  I am beginning to think that this version is a close second to my all time favorite version, Danmarks Radio 1969.  Montreux 70 has a unique intro and a more relaxed feel than Danmarks Radio.   But Danmarks has my favorite live Page solo ever and the bow segment, which as very different from Dazed bow segments.     

Ahh, finally the listening eases up!  Got through 6/27/72 Long Beach & 6/27/77 Los Angeles today.  Observations:

6/27/72:

- 'Dazed' from this show is really good!  Must've been a tough call for Jimmy as far as which version to go with for HTWWW between this and 6/25

6/27/77:

- One of the best NQ's ever, and one of the best climaxes of the jam section

- Never noticed how good Jimmy's first solo in 'Achilles' is

- Overall an unfairly maligned show amongst the LA '77 run; sure, it may not be as tight in spots, but, similar to the other epic tour-closer-type show in LA (3/27/75), it has a really unique vibe that IMO keeps it from dragging, despite its length

Edited by Bonzo_fan

This should be cleaned up and officially released in any 79-80 representation that is put out there for the 50th. Jeebus it rocks....

And if you amalgamated it with the following night where Jonesy slays it even more so....

Edited by rm2551

12 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Which actual show and boot version is this?

It is July 6, 1969 Newport Jazz Festival but I don't know which boot version.  I just found it on YouTube.  If you click to watch it directly on YouTube you can see some description, but it does not say much about which source(s).  I had this show on a cassette from way back in the old tape trading days.  This morning I saw on JimmyPage.com his notes about the show, today being July 6.  He said that they followed Buddy Rich and his Big Band (!!), and that the crowds were getting so big that they announced on the radio that Zeppelin were NOT going to play, just to keep the crowds down.

Plant is buried in this mix but the band sounds great and they are killing it !

Never a big fan of 1977 but I must say June 26 show at LA Forum has hit my attention. Killer simply killer version of SIBLY. 

I didn't realize Jimmy's fingers could be so nimble at that point in the band.

First post on this forum! :)

Right now I am listening to the new How The West Was Won reissue, I am listening to it on the audio DVD that came with the super deluxe box set. And now the song Dazed And Confused is playing!

On 7/9/2018 at 3:55 PM, Zumbi said:

First post on this forum! :)

Right now I am listening to the new How The West Was Won reissue, I am listening to it on the audio DVD that came with the super deluxe box set. And now the song Dazed And Confused is playing!

Welcome!  And as Ocean73 said, good choice!