What are they all laughing at?

Chowder

In most of the versions from 1970, just after 'See a little girl walking down the street.....good enough to EAT', the crowds go apeshit, laughing and cheering.

Anyone know what's going on here? Did RP make a lewd and/or lascivious gesture, possibly involving his tongue and two of his fingers? Or have I just got a dirty mind?

I've thought about this as well.

Even though the crowd makes it seem obvious, I'd never considered Plant to be so blatant.

At 2:04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxfbk-OinV4

I have heard some variation of that expression before and i don't know whether its from this song (which I highly doubt) or not. But it does, in one way or another, exist.

Could be similar to "Gobbling up babies that are really cute", or something to that effect.

Who knows? :P

Edit: I think some crowds have dirty minds :D :D

Our culture has always been less mature about sex than Europe's

Don't you believe it, Bill!

I find it hard to believe that the mere singing of an ostensibly innocent couplet like that would provoke mass hysteria, even amongst the most sexually immature of audiences. It must have been accompanied by something outrageous, surely? Besides, had cunnilingus even been invented by 1970? I doubt it.

Surprised there's no-one here who was at any of those US shows. Unless RP himself cares to comment, I think that's the only way we'll ever solve this one. He sang those lines at the RAH, but there was no accompanying provocative gesture or crowd reaction on the DVD. Maybe he was camera-shy?

Besides, had cunnilingus even been invented by 1970? I doubt it.

Haha that's awesome. I was under the impression that still even during the 70's people didn't talk about that too openly. Basically I mean I man would not brag or even mention doing it.

It was part of the HMMT medley for all shows at the time. Are you saying Robbie only made a gesture at American shows? And what kind of gesture? Spreading his ring and middle finger and licking between them? And why not gestures at other lines like "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love" while grinding away at Page's butt? They were a rock band not a rap band. Robert did a lot of posing but doing something overtly sexual in 69-70? When police were ready to beat down audience members who merely stood up? As far as your comment about cunnilingus I'm assuming you are being a little sarcastic since there are artistic depictions of oral sex several thousand years old.

It was part of the HMMT medley for all shows at the time. Are you saying Robbie only made a gesture at American shows? And what kind of gesture? Spreading his ring and middle finger and licking between them? And why not gestures at other lines like "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love" while grinding away at Page's butt? They were a rock band not a rap band. Robert did a lot of posing but doing something overtly sexual in 69-70? When police were ready to beat down audience members who merely stood up? As far as your comment about cunnilingus I'm assuming you are being a little sarcastic since there are artistic depictions of oral sex several thousand years old.

Me, sarcastic? Nah, you got the wrong guy there, Bill.

Yes, that was the precise gesture I had in mind. But I take your point about the security goons. Even so, I still find it hard to believe that this couplet alone could provoke such mirth and merriment.

Can nobody shed any light on this? Not even the mighty Steve A Jones?

Archived