English Premier League 2010-11

Chowder

Looks like it could turn out to be a very interesting season.

The talk of the town today is that, with about 20% of the season gone, the once-mighty Liverpool are currently sitting pretty in the bottom three, having lost at home today to the newly promoted Blackpool. Blackpool are basically a team of shit-kickers with a superb manager, whereas the opposite is true of Liverpool, who have had rubbish managers for about 5 years now, and are in serious danger of facing a relegation battle for the first time in living memory. Ave!

At the top end, Man Utd have played falteringly, but remain the only unbeaten team. Chelsea are top, having bagged a bucketload of goals, albeit in some turkey-shoot matches against inferior opposition. The rejuvenated Tottenham, managed by the magnificent Harry Redknapp (who, if he had been England manager instead of the buffoon Capello, would have steered us far closer to World Cup glory this year), are above their great rivals Arsenal, who appear to be a spent force these days, largely down to their bafflingly unacquisitive and debatably insane manager Arsene 'Yes, I can suck on two lemons at once' Wenger.

A surprise 2nd place are the great pretenders, Man City, but they too have had an easy run so far, and all of their owner's billions won't help them when they come up against their world-famous rivals later on.

It's likely to be a 3-way fight for the title between Chav$ki, Man Utd and Spurs, but the smart money's on Man Utd to win this year, thus finally putting them 19-18 ahead of Loserpool in Top-League trophies. And about time, too.

The talk of the town today is that, with about 20% of the season gone, the once-mighty Liverpool are currently sitting pretty in the bottom three, having lost at home today to the newly promoted Blackpool. Blackpool are basically a team of shit-kickers with a superb manager, whereas the opposite is true of Liverpool, who have had rubbish managers for about 5 years now, and are in serious danger of facing a relegation battle for the first time in living memory. Ave!

At the top end, Man Utd have played falteringly, but remain the only unbeaten team. Chelsea are top, having bagged a bucketload of goals, albeit in some turkey-shoot matches against inferior opposition. The rejuvenated Tottenham, managed by the magnificent Harry Redknapp (who, if he had been England manager instead of the buffoon Capello, would have steered us far closer to World Cup glory this year), are above their great rivals Arsenal, who appear to be a spent force these days, largely down to their bafflingly unacquisitive and debatably insane manager Arsene 'Yes, I can suck on two lemons at once' Wenger.

A surprise 2nd place are the great pretenders, Man City, but they too have had an easy run so far, and all of their owner's billions won't help them when they come up against their world-famous rivals later on.

It's likely to be a 3-way fight for the title between Chav$ki, Man Utd and Spurs, but the smart money's on Man Utd to win this year, thus finally putting them 19-18 ahead of Loserpool in Top-League trophies. And about time, too.

Im just an american with no clue of the leagues make up, and rarely get to see a game. But I love the World Cup so I do like the sport. Put me down for Chelsea!:D Like the name! ha. Seen them play. And to my knowledge, Manchester United are Englands version of the New York Yankees. Go Chelsea!!

And to my knowledge, Manchester United are Englands version of the New York Yankees. Go Chelsea!!

You'll have to explain what that means, but it sounds like an insult. Better not be, or you'll be going on my ignore list.

i'm so glad Liverpool are at the bottom, i hope they get relegated

I know they are not alone but to me with all the money the Premiership and the Champions League have to offer, it's a crying shame that a club of their stature is in the financial position it's in. When you look at the depts some of the top clubs are carrying, it's absolutely staggering !

Loserpool ? What an idiotic small minded comment. LIVERPOOL. The most successful team in the FOOTBALL Leauge, not doing to well at the moment. So what, I'm a Liverpool supporter and i don't give a shit. Big deal they will get over it....after all it's only a game.

I know they are not alone but to me with all the money the Premiership and the Champions League have to offer, it's a crying shame that a club of their stature is in the financial position it's in. When you look at the depts some of the top clubs are carrying, it's absolutely staggering !

Ally, much as it pains me to admit it, I do tend to agree. The game needs a strong Liverpool. On the other hand, it's great fun watching them struggle! I don't doubt they will rise again, but as someone once recently said, they'll probably win the Championship before they win the Prem.

But all poverty is relative, and IMO the real tragedy at the moment is the plight of Sheff Wed. Ok, they were never GIANTS, but they're a big club, and they're in danger of going under for £600k. Someone highlighted the disparity between the finances of Prem & FL clubs the other day by pointing out that this represents just one month's wages for some mediocre Carlos Kickaball in the Prem. How obscene.

I think it's way too early to talk about Liverpool getting relegated.

They have 6 points, only 5 less than than Arsenal in 4th place.

Yeah, it is early days but them being in the bottom half of the table let alone the relegation zone is something that won't sit well with their supporters. The ownership issues may be a distraction but clearly there are problems in the dressing room as well. It seems to me that Hodgson took a job that nobody really wanted and when was the last time you could say that about the Pool. Sign of the times I suppose but then again, no leadership at the ownership level usually creates these problems and without a change in that dept. it's not likely anyone proven will want the job anytime soon.

Ally, much as it pains me to admit it, I do tend to agree. The game needs a strong Liverpool. On the other hand, it's great fun watching them struggle! I don't doubt they will rise again, but as someone once recently said, they'll probably win the Championship before they win the Prem.

But all poverty is relative, and IMO the real tragedy at the moment is the plight of Sheff Wed. Ok, they were never GIANTS, but they're a big club, and they're in danger of going under for £600k. Someone highlighted the disparity between the finances of Prem & FL clubs the other day by pointing out that this represents just one month's wages for some mediocre Carlos Kickaball in the Prem. How obscene.

Yeah, I hear ya and believe me in strictly football terms, I'm the first to take the piss out of rival supporters. In this case however, I'm looking at it from a wider perspective. Liverpool are just one example of a far bigger problem that is looming over the game itself. Maybe it's going to take clubs like them and other so called big clubs falling on their face to correct the financial gaps that exist in the game today but I'm not sure relegation to the Championship in itself is the full answer.

It's been reported that the owner of an American baseball team (the Boston Red Sox, I believe) is poised to buy out the current yank owners of Liverpool.

Do any of you guys across the pond know of this chap? Is he likely to be an improvement over Hicks and Gillette, or will it be a case of 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'? Can the schadenfreude mob realistically hope for him to be a savage asset-stripper?

Yeah, I hear ya and believe me in strictly football terms, I'm the first to take the piss out of rival supporters. In this case however, I'm looking at it from a wider perspective. Liverpool are just one example of a far bigger problem that is looming over the game itself. Maybe it's going to take clubs like them and other so called big clubs falling on their face to correct the financial gaps that exist in the game today but I'm not sure relegation to the Championship in itself is the full answer.

Hi Ally,

All it needs is a wages cap on the players, theses so called football clubs are supposed to be Companies now so its about time they acted like a Company don't you think?

And maybe a Goal and/or Performance Bonus rather than excessive Salaries might also alleviate the fans anger.

Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City, all these clubs have become far to big with their foreign money and the strangle hold they have on all the other football clubs means that these 5 clubs have cornered the market in English football and the little clubs are now dominated by money not talent.

Maybe they should form a Super European League with all the big clubs in Europe and leave the other clubs to enjoy a little success of their own.

I for one detest the way football has evolved and i wont put one penny in to the pot to pay for Greedy Foreign Imports or Money Hungry English Glory Hunters.

I also have a problem with why people the world over have to support a "FOREIGN BIG CLUB" rather than a Local Club who are more needy of their support than clubs like Man United and that ilk.

Very Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Ally,

All it needs is a wages cap on the players, theses so called football clubs are supposed to be Companies now so its about time they acted like a Company don't you think?

And maybe a Goal and/or Performance Bonus rather than excessive Salaries might also alleviate the fans anger.

Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City, all these clubs have become far to big with their foreign money and the strangle hold they have on all the other football clubs means that these 5 clubs have cornered the market in English football and the little clubs are now dominated by money not talent.

Maybe they should form a Super European League with all the big clubs in Europe and leave the other clubs to enjoy a little success of their own.

I for one detest the way football has evolved and i wont put one penny in to the pot to pay for Greedy Foreign Imports or Money Hungry English Glory Hunters.

I also have a problem with why people the world over have to support a "FOREIGN BIG CLUB" rather than a Local Club who are more needy of their support than clubs like Man United and that ilk.

Regards, Danny

Not sure there is a solution to this problem other than administration for clubs that exceed a certain level of dept. As long as these so called big clubs are allowed to spend outrageous money on SQUAD players then it will continue to be a case of the rich getting richer and the rest of the clubs being nothing more than feeder clubs.

Not sure there is a solution to this problem other than administration for clubs that exceed a certain level of dept. As long as these so called big clubs are allowed to spend outrageous money on SQUAD players then it will continue to be a case of the rich getting richer and the rest of the clubs being nothing more than feeder clubs.

That just about sums it up mate. :(

Very Kind Regards, Danny

It's been reported that the owner of an American baseball team (the Boston Red Sox, I believe) is poised to buy out the current yank owners of Liverpool.

Do any of you guys across the pond know of this chap? Is he likely to be an improvement over Hicks and Gillette, or will it be a case of 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'? Can the schadenfreude mob realistically hope for him to be a savage asset-stripper?

Pending league approval it looks as though the deal is done. The Red Sox are a solid organization so on the face of it, this should be better than Hicks/Gillette .However, I'm a little concerned that this could be another Glaziers type of deal and not the best thing for Liverpool FC or the league in the long term.

Pending league approval it looks as though the deal is done. The Red Sox are a solid organization so on the face of it, this should be better than Hicks/Gillette .However, I'm a little concerned that this could be another Glaziers type of deal and not the best thing for Liverpool FC or the league in the long term.

Arsenal haven't spent much compared to some of the other clubs. This table shows how much clubs have spent from 1992 to the end of last season before the sales of Adebayor and Toure.

Ttable.jpg

Arsenal haven't spent much compared to some of the other clubs.

And it's beginning to show.

Their first team's a bit of a joke right now. What's Monsieur le Citron trying to prove? He's got the money, hasn't he?

Much more of his penny-pinching tutting on the sidelines and they'll be consgined to mid-table mediocrity. Not that I give a toss, but I hear the natives are growing increasingly restless.

What a great time it must be to be a Spurs fan.

• 2 months later...

Well its nice to know that the most sucessful club in the last 20 years is number six on the spend list and not the top. Every team above them except the team at number one haven't won the premier league. I for one feel Manchester United have not played well at all this season apart from the Blackburn game and Charity Sheild, yet its difficult as they have raised the bar in the last 20 years and to their standards they are not there at the moment, but because others are not really hitting top notch either then we are tp of the league.

I though for this year couldn't care less if we win only one nil, boring football, limp over the line by goal difference as I want them to have the league title record outright of 19 titles just to shut the arrogant L.Pool supporters up, over twenty years ago they had a banner up saying you will never beat this (18 titles)to every other team...the arrogance as since that banner they haven't won any titles and Manchester United have won 11 and now have 18 too. But hey I must stop it on here as we are here for Zeppelin.

Wow, I'd rather see entertaining football than title winners any day. What's the point otherwise?

Arrogance or pride? I'd be bloody proud of that too.

As I say its only for this season, and whats with the Middle finger up to everone , then having "Have a nice day" an oxymoran pmsl, and its been since the 20's since Newcastle united have won the league, are you telling me some supporters wouldn't swap for one year good footbsll for a titllw win ?? or is tha pride getting in the way ??

I wouldn't dream of trying to speak for other NUFC supporters (and don't think I ever did), but personally I had more fun during the period when we were known as "The Entertainers" than any other time I've been to the footie.

My sig changes regularly, my avatar is a regular, and she knows who it is for.

Happy New Year Leddy ;)

Archived