BEST LED ZEPPELIN BOOK

JiMiHeNdRiX1967

What is your favorite zeppelin book  

78 members have voted

1. 1. what is your favorite zeppelin Book

• When Giants Walked the Earth
    • Hammer Of the Gods
    • Stairway To Heaven ( Richard Cole's book)
    • Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin
    • When Jimmy Page's book comes out and everyones read it, i'll put it up, because i guess it counts)
    • Other (sorry if i missed your favorite)

This one, no bullshit to be found on any of the pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Heaven-Charles-Cross/dp/0517583089

First Published in 1991, Heaven and Hell is a Beautiful book with lots of great pictures in Full Color that had not been seen by the masses. The book chronicles their tours with excellent commentary, set lists, and bootleg references. The book tells of the rise of the Zeppelin bootleg industry which is excellent. Lots of information on collectibles and such is included in print and picture. Also, each track from each album is laid out with various stories on each.

• 1 month later...

I just got "LZ-'75" it's really good, from the author of Hammer of The Gods.

Yes. I just finished it a couple of weeks ago. I loved it. I love WGWTE too. Actaully I am reading Nick Kent's book, which will have a lot of Zeppelin. I have been reading Jimmy's book in bits and pieces. He does put in some adorable little things. It has his humor too, which is very dry and these other biographies don't have.

• 3 weeks later...

All of them have some errors, which is very hard to avoid in fact - you're stating something, and as you go, an error about something else creeps in somehow - it could be you went from memory, or you happened to not rely on the best source for that particular little bit, or just that your wording was a little flawed. So it happens all the time. That doesn't mean there aren't good books out there, however - there are, but if what you want is information and a real understanding of the band and its music, I'd recommend different books for different aspects of it all. For bootlegs you need a book Dave Lewis and Simon Pallett, Led Zeppelin: The Concert File, and perhaps Luis Rey's old Led Zeppelin Live. For a musical assessment of the whole trajectory of the band the late Keith Shadwick's volume is essential. For a simple overview of the history of the band the best one is still Ritchie Yorke's old book. For the stories behind the songs there are a couple of useful books, by Dave Lewis and Chris Welch respectively. And finally, interviews with band-members are not to be missed. In particular, many of the interviews Jimmy Page has given in the past have been packed with useful information, for instance several from Guitar World.

This one, no bullshit to be found on any of the pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Heaven-Charles-Cross/dp/0517583089

First Published in 1991, Heaven and Hell is a Beautiful book with lots of great pictures in Full Color that had not been seen by the masses. The book chronicles their tours with excellent commentary, set lists, and bootleg references. The book tells of the rise of the Zeppelin bootleg industry which is excellent. Lots of information on collectibles and such is included in print and picture. Also, each track from each album is laid out with various stories on each.

Yeah I really like this one, too. It is a beautiful book.

I've been told that Barney Hoskyns, who has written several books about various musicians (Tom Waits, The Band, LA area musicians, etc.) and the small book about LZ IV is working on a LZ book that will be what he has called the "definitive" LZ story. He has been interviewing people who were connected to the band, although I don't know if he has plans to interview any of the Zep guys (or their family members). It sounded to me like it will be a large project so I have no idea as to the expected publication date.

• 1 month later...

I've never read any of the books. I stick to interviews and articles in Guitar World, etc. I've read so much of the band 'dissing' the books that I feel like I would be a 'traitor' if I read one. I know. I know. That's ridiculous. But I just don't want to line the pockets of groupies (Not that I'm NOT a groupie of sorts-more of a devotee). When the 'authorized' bio comes out...I'll be first in line.

I would LOVE to own a copy of Page on Page - But can't even touch them on Ebay. What I wouldn't give to have an hour with that book!

post-16971-0-94056700-1301693576_thumb.j

I know alot of people on this Great Led Zeppelin Forum disparage the book "Hammer of the Gods", however, I would actually credit this book for setting me on my path that has led to my love for the "Mighty Led Zeppelin". Being a 15 year old kid back in 1985 and reading this book definately got me hooked on Led Zeppelin. From that day I bought and read this hardcover book to this very day, I know "Hammer of the Gods" word to word, page to page and cover to cover.

I realize alot you out there dislike this book because of the supposed "Satanic" and/or the "Occult" and "Drug(s)" aspect of this book. I, personally, do not have any problems if people trash talk this book because of this. Think what you want and believe what you want. I tend to believe and think that alot of what was written is true (in some form or another). (Was Jimmy Page interested or fascinated with the Occult? I believe Yes. Did all the members of Led Zeppelin drink, smoke weed, pop pills, snort or smoke Cocaine, etc... Dare I say Heroin?) For those of You out there who are straight or naive, please be realistic. I really do hate to say this, but Led Zeppelin and Drugs are almost as synonymous as Led Zeppelin and Music.

I have read (and bought) almost every book written about Led Zeppelin. All the books I own and have read are all great in their own ways. I Love them all. I have learned "tons" from each and every one. However, I know that I still have "tons" more to learn. It does seem like a life long search (and Passion).

I say that this with unequivocal determination. There are dozens and dozens of great books written about Led Zeppelin. If anyone is starting out and wants to read and know about Led Zeppelin, I say start with "Hammer of the Gods" and make up your own mind and then go from there. I do not think You will be disappointed.

P.S. It also helps when you are reading "Hammer of the Gods" to listen to Led Zeppelin (either during or later) in a somewhat chronological order. Having plenty of Led Zeppelin bootlegs definately "enhances" the reading experience.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I enjoyed reading "When giants walked the Earth", It"s my favourite LZ biography up to now. Last summer I read "Light and Shade" conversations with Jimmy Page by Brad Tolinski

I can recommend that one as well. At the moment I started LZ-75 by Stephen Davis, I am not far enough in this book to give my opinion. I will give a comment when I have finished this book

• 4 months later...

When Giants Walked the Earth for a complete history of the band and The Final Acclaim by Dave Lewis a build up to the Knebworth shows!

PS…. I have Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page, it's a collection of photographs with some anecdotes, not much of a read, great book to have, my pride and joy actually, second item signed by him I own….Woooohoooo!

When Giants Walked the Earth for a complete history of the band and The Final Acclaim by Dave Lewis a build up to the Knebworth shows!

PS…. I have Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page, it's a collection of photographs with some anecdotes, not much of a read, great book to have, my pride and joy actually, second item signed by him I own….Woooohoooo!

Any Dave Lewis book is good read.Davis and Wall are idiots.

No comment on Hammer Of The Gods book?

All three surviving members of the band have cast doubts on its accuracy,with one article summarising their collective view of the book as a "catalogue of error and distortion."

Guitarist Jimmy Page has stated:

I think I opened [the book] up in the middle somewhere and started to read it, and I just threw it out the window. I was living by a river then, so it actually found its way to the bottom of the sea.

According to the band's vocalist Robert Plant:

The guy who wrote that book knew nothing about the band. I think he'd hung around us once. He got all his information from a guy who had a heroin problem who happened to be associated with us. The only thing I read was the "After Zeppelin" part, because I was eager to get on with the music and stop living in a dream state.

The band's bassist, John Paul Jones stated:

It's a very sad little book. It made us out to be sad little people. He ruined a lot of good, funny stories.

John Paul Jones once refused to sign a copy of the book.

Archived