Would You Buy "How The West Was Won" On Vinyl?

zephead

Would You Buy "How The West Was Won" On Vinyl?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Buy "How The West Was Won" On Vinyl If It Were An Official Release?

I personally love the passion of this album. The CD sounds nice to me but I'm sure it would sound better on vinyl. I'm hoping that if we get a lot of "Yes" votes, that might sway Jimmy to release it. :D My ultimate dream vinyl would be for Jimmy to matrix this (85% soundboard/15% Audience). Can I get some "yes" votes???

I'm not in vinyls either. They can be a lot of money when you can get exactly the same thing on CD which you can then transfer to your computer and ipod/MP3 player.

Absolutely agree with everything you say Magic! It is for these reasons that I am into buying CDs! Besides, investing in vinyls can be an extremely costly hobby, especially here in New Zealand! :blink:

I'm not in vinyls either. They can be a lot of money when you can get exactly the same thing on CD which you can then transfer to your computer and ipod/MP3 player.

I'll take uncompressed files any day over MP3s and that's just the sonic difference. Then there's the artwork, some CDs don't even include the original artwork so compact discs and vinyl aren't the "exact same thing". Vinyl has been enjoying a resurgence over the past few years and it's mainly younger folks that are driving that market. Many of them realized what they were missing out on. I buy CDs and will continue to but I prefer all that comes with vinyl records, in addition to the warmness of sound you also have liner notes and artwork to enjoy while listening to the music.

I already have doubles of a lot of albums on CD and vinyl but it wouldn't stop me from buying this one. These days I buy a lot of vinyl that comes with a mp3 download.

I love the combo of getting a digital version with my analog. I was listening to TSRTS on vinyl last night and it sounded so good that I am going to buy a second copy and keep it sealed for 25 years so I can listen to a fresh copy then.

I love the combo of getting a digital version with my analog. I was listening to TSRTS on vinyl last night and it sounded so good that I am going to buy a second copy and keep it sealed for 25 years so I can listen to a fresh copy then.

That really doesn't make a lot of sense to me but whatever makes your boat float. I just know that if I'm given the choice I'll buy vinyl over CDs as long as it comes with a download. In some cases you're even able to purchase all three in the same package. Those are artists that really know how to look out for their fans. Unfortunately they're few and far between these days.

There is nothing, I mean nothing (well, almost nothing) better than listening to a vinyl album. There is something intrinsically warm and soothing about it. I can't really describe it. I started collecting vinyl a few years ago after getting some pieces from my father that he didn't listen to anymore. While I love mp3s for their portability and the fact you can't lug a turntable around on the train, if I'm at home just sitting around listening to music, I'm listening to vinyl, not CDs. I sold most of my CDs a couple of years ago after I transferred all the ones I wanted to my computer. I see no need to have them anymore, they take up space and I don't even have a CD player anymore anyway (aside from the one that obviously comes with my laptop).

I have nothing against CDs, the first piece of music I ever bought with my own money was a CD, just that for me, they aren't all that appealing anymore.

I could never part with my CDs. I have far too much money invested in them to do that. Same for my vinyl. Both collections could probably use some weeding out but throw them away? Hell, no. That said, many people have done that exact thing, just taken them to the dump and tossed them. I'm also keeping my cassette collection. I rarely listen to them anymore (even though I have several cassette decks, including one in my vehicle) but I spent a lot of time compiling mixes so they're something I could never just throw away. The book Cassette From My Ex (which I highly recommend, by the way) has a sidebar on how to transfer all your old cassettes to iTunes (or your mp3 player of choice). That would be rather time consuming but in the end I think it would be worthwhile.

Agreed about the vinyl listening experience. I also enjoy the convenience of mp3s and CDs but neither comes close to the enjoyment I get from listening to vinyl and I don't mean that just from an audio quality standpoint. Listening to music is a highly personal experience and is therefore different for each of us but nothing beats the old days of gathering around the hi-fi with all of your friends to listen to a brand new slab of plastic for the very first time. How often does that happen with CDs and mp3s? Same reason I still prefer shopping in a record store to ordering online. It's something best experienced with fellow music fans.

Well, I would never throw any kind of music away. I kept all my CDs in damn near pristine condition so that when I sold them, I got more money for them than I would have had they been all scuffed and scratched up. It was nice to not only sell them so that other people could experience them if they wanted to, but also to get a little of the money back that I spent acquiring them in the first place. The only CDs I have left are from the artists whose material I collect and then burned CDs I made year ago. All told, I probably have less than 100 left, after having near 700 at one point.

I do however, have all my old cassettes for some reason.

Everything I bought until ~ 1987/88 is on vinyl; some cassettes too, and at one point I had a few 8 tracks too, but those are all gone now. I started buying some cds then and kept buying cassettes for a couple more years, but everything I've bought since ~ '90 is cd. Although we still have an early 80s turntable, I haven't used it in forever. We still have our cassettes (in the garage) and our vinyl, but they were accidentally stored in the attic a couple of addresses ago, so I'm assuming they are a lost cause (but haven't tossed them because if nothing else I still like the covers, especially LZ III). The albums look a little wavy, although not horrible. I can still remember that new vinyl smell.... :)

I will download individual songs from iTunes, but if I want a whole album I buy the cd. I guess I'm just old fashioned in that I want something in my hand, with liner notes and such. I have also noticed the resurgence of vinyl lately. Maybe one day soon I'll pull mine out again and see if anything still plays.

Still have it all, albums and cd's. As much as I love the warmth of vinyl, the best quality was definitely from the early days of my collection. There were plenty of latter day 70's and early 80's releases in North America where the vinyl quality was absolute crap. You could put them on your turntable and watch your stylus attempt to teach chickens how to walk !

Still have it all, albums and cd's. As much as I love the warmth of vinyl, the best quality was definitely from the early days of my collection. There were plenty of latter day 70's and early 80's releases in North America where the vinyl quality was absolute crap. You could put them on your turntable and watch your stylus attempt to teach chickens how to walk !

Most of the new vinyl I've seen these days is of high grade quality but I definitely have my share of poorly manufactured vinyl in my collection as well.

Most of the new vinyl I've seen these days is of high grade quality but I definitely have my share of poorly manufactured vinyl in my collection as well.

I agree, from what I've seen recently, the vinyl quality is much better. Even the vinyl in the bargain bins is much better :D

I agree, from what I've seen recently, the vinyl quality is much better. Even the vinyl in the bargain bins is much better :D

I never really paid much attention to 180 gram vinyl and such back in the day (that was for audiophiles), but it seems the vast majority of new vinyl records I've seen these days is of at least that quality. Another thing I've noticed in recent years is that most new records are played at 45 rpm, apparently another concession to higher audio quality. What would have normally fit on one slab of plastic is now spread out over two.

Ok, I finally got with the 21st Century and downloaded my first full album from iTunes today (AND it came with a .pdf liner/jacket...woo hoo!!) :D (White Stripes, Under Great Northern Lights. Could not resist; it's great!)

~ V

I personally love the passion of this album. The CD sounds nice to me but I'm sure it would sound better on vinyl. I'm hoping that if we get a lot of "Yes" votes, that might sway Jimmy to release it. :D My ultimate dream vinyl would be for Jimmy to matrix this (85% soundboard/15% Audience). Can I get some "yes" votes???

I am seriously thinking of getting a record deck again and go old school, the vinyl sound was alays a much nicer sound...so hell yeh i might start collecting albums again, lots are putting them back out these days. have loads and loads sitting in record cases just doing nothing, although my daughter iked the cover to LZ III, so framed it and she has it on her wall in her flat now.

Might well start framing some of mine and put them up in my place.

• 1 month later...

The main reason I said no was because I have no turntable now. I think I gave it up circa 1992 to make room in my house. I really can't tell you how much I regret that decision. It wasn't all that expensive, (Sony direct drive) I believe, but boy it sounded great.

Thankfully I did keep all my albums from when I started about 1970 until 1989 or so.

So, if anyone knows where to get a good turntable, then please let me know. :)

Then I might have to change my answer if the audio improvement were that vastly improved for vinyl HTWWW.

......................:) missy

The main reason I said no was because I have no turntable now. I think I gave it up circa 1992 to make room in my house. I really can't tell you how much I regret that decision. It wasn't all that expensive, (Sony direct drive) I believe, but boy it sounded great.

Thankfully I did keep all my albums from when I started about 1970 until 1989 or so.

So, if anyone knows where to get a good turntable, then please let me know. :)

Then I might have to change my answer if the audio improvement were that vastly improved for vinyl HTWWW.

......................:) missy

It depends on how much you're willing to spend, although that's not saying you have to spend a lot of money for a good system. Technics has always been a great brand, as has Sony. I have a Crosley record player myself, and it suits my needs just fine. I think you can get them at Best Buy, but don't quote me on that.

Archived