"LA"? Drone

Yupter

What does the "LA" in "LA Drone" stand for on the "How The West Was Won" album?

......not to add to your confusion, I use to hear this Drone, similar I suppose, early 70's, as an opening Drone leading to Broadcasting of All India Radio - "The Signature Tune", to my ears it sounds familiar, and this question was posed sometime ago in this Forum also.....

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=97bpv2qdvu0&playnext=1&list=PL32A3ED3258B1DBC2&index=30

and the Australian Version/Immigrant Song among others as I am sure you may know...

Los Angeles, where the show was recorded.

Even though it says Long Beach is it in fact Los Angeles?

......not to add to your confusion, I use to hear this Drone, similar I suppose, early 70's, as an opening Drone leading to Broadcasting of All India Radio - "The Signature Tune", to my ears it sounds familiar...

I had seen this when I searched the forums, very interesting stuff. :thumbsup:

Liner notes in HTWWW says that LA Drone was recorded on June 27, 1972 at Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, California, a mere 22 miles from the LA Forum, Inglewood, California, where other portions of HTWWW was recorded 2 days previously.

...if I had heard the latter, I would have woken up on the dot and gone to school as usual......I hope you will continue to seek the truth and beauty of all music within yourself...

Good Post

I'm not convinced it had a proper title at the time (1972). It may have been given "LA Drone" solely for the HTWWW release.

I'm still confused at what the "LA" is suppose to represent though. It couldn't possibly mean Los Angeles as both the wiki and album's liner notes say Long Beach.

I think it's a mislabel, but I still would like a second opinion on the matter.

:unsure:

As a former long time resident of Orange County, I can tell you the entire Los Angeles county area (which includes both Inglewood and Long Beach) is often generalized as "Los Angeles." SImilar to The Forum in Inglewood, CA being generalized or referred to as the LA Forum, when in fact the name is "The Forum" (except during the time Great Western had the naming right from 1988-2003) and it isn't located in Los Angeles.

So, is it a mislabel? Long Beach Drone really doesn't sound right, or did the band just generalize the name? Bottom line is, it doesn't really have to mean anything specific, it's what they chose to call it.

Liner notes in HTWWW says that LA Drone was recorded on June 27, 1972 at Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, California, a mere 22 miles from the LA Forum, Inglewood, California, where other portions of HTWWW was recorded 2 days previously.

........Recorded - No; "experimented" - yes - ; knowledge of Indian Music is lacking here, so it was simply stated as per location because it appeared there...(only Jimmy and Robert ofcourse know where this really came from)

The location has been identified as questioned but it is "not" what you claim to be as it was actually recorded in L.A.

...and I post, as always, with very sincere respect to Jimmy and Robert

...edited for typing!!! (my weakness)

As a former long time resident of Orange County, I can tell you the entire Los Angeles county area (which includes both Inglewood and Long Beach) is often generalized as "Los Angeles." SImilar to The Forum in Inglewood, CA being generalized or referred to as the LA Forum, when in fact the name is "The Forum" (except during the time Great Western had the naming right from 1988-2003) and it isn't located in Los Angeles. So, is it a mislabel? Long Beach Drone really doesn't sound right, or did the band just generalize the name? Bottom line is, it doesn't really have to mean anything specific, it's what they chose to call it.

It's rather strange to identify Long Beach as LA even though it is part of LA County. I guess if they played in Escondido (San Diego County) the drone might have been called "SD Drone" or "San Diego Drone". :P ... Which, in that alternate universe, I'd still be making a thread about my confusion :D

...No. that's it for my part in this..

LA Drone was recorded in Los Angeles and then played over the PA at multiple dates. The clip on HTWWW is from the Long Beach concert, as the liner notes report, but that doesn't change the fact it was pre-recorded in Los Angeles.

LA Drone was recorded in Los Angeles and then played over the PA at multiple dates. The clip on HTWWW is from the Long Beach concert, as the liner notes report, but that doesn't change the fact it was pre-recorded in Los Angeles.

What studio in Los Angeles was it recorded at?

Tut tut. With heavy patronisation and wry condescention, LA Drone has most definitely one, if not two, meanings, if only any of you actually took the time to research things properly.

1. It derives from the pre-15th century French la droné, which roughly translates as "the dull monotonous whine of a broken accordion as played by the King's musicians after a 36-hour bender fuelled by calvados, laudanum and snuff". As in: Les musiciens est fou et ils faison la droné aprés le grande fete - merde!"

2. It refers to the mindnumbing conversation topics and deadened modes of communication by many inhabitants of the L.A. basin. Anyone who's visited, lived or indeed left L.A. will undoubtedly verify my irrefutable findings. Or just watch some ghastly L.A.-based "reality" TV show and you'll get the gist.

In a sentence, one can therefore say: "I was sitting in a restaurant off Sunset and these bimbos at a nearby table were prattling away with their incessant LA drone." You could then go over to that table and declare with the highest level of human dignity: "Your LA drone has completely ruined my enjoyment of my otherwise excellent meal. Shame on you, tut tut etc."

You asked. I answered. I hope this puts an end to this discussion and we can move onto more important questions, such as what the hell is a Carouselambra? Answers on a postcard to...

x mwah x

Jeff, it may have been done at Electric Ladyland in New York in June 1972 and may not have had any title at the time (1972). I'm seeking confirmation.

In the past I've written here (or on the old board) and elsewhere that my friends and I have said for some time that we think the "LA Drone" was recorded at the Electric Lady Studios in NYC in June 1972. We remember those days very clearly but not the details of what LZ was actually doing inside the studio. The two people I know who were in the studio can't recall the "Houses" sessions clearly enough to say one way or another whether the "Drone" was recorded there. I recently had an in-person chance to ask someone else who would probably remember in detail but I couldn't think of a way to bring it up in casual conversation without sounding too "strange" so I lost my nerve...

In the past I've written here (or on the old board) and elsewhere that my friends and I have said for some time that we think the "LA Drone" was recorded at the Electric Lady Studios in NYC in June 1972. We remember those days very clearly but not the details of what LZ was actually doing inside the studio. The two people I know who were in the studio can't recall the "Houses" sessions clearly enough to say one way or another whether the "Drone" was recorded there. I recently had an in-person chance to ask someone else who would probably remember in detail but I couldn't think of a way to bring it up in casual conversation without sounding too "strange" so I lost my nerve...

I'm inclined to agree with you. I can tell you the primary purpose of those sessions was to mix the Houses of the Holy album, and during those sessions the track 'Houses of the Holy' was recorded.'

Perhaps Jimmy & Robert's trip to Bombay just four months prior was a catalyst for the idea to do a drone recording for the upcoming summer tour.

......not to add to your confusion, I use to hear this Drone, similar I suppose, early 70's, as an opening Drone leading to Broadcasting of All India Radio - "The Signature Tune", to my ears it sounds familiar, and this question was posed sometime ago in this Forum also.....

http://il.youtube.co...B1DBC2&index=30

Thank you, PlanetPage. Love this. Makes me "homesick" for India.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I can tell you the primary purpose of those sessions was to mix the Houses of the Holy album, and during those sessions the track 'Houses of the Holy' was recorded.'

Perhaps Jimmy & Robert's trip to Bombay just four months prior was a catalyst for the idea to do a drone recording for the upcoming summer tour.

I would love to read something about whether and how that trip to India influenced Jimmy and Robert, musically or otherwise. I've read that Jimmy played with some Indian musicians there but I don't know if any of it was recorded.

Archived