Robert Plant Band of Joy Tour 2011

SteveAJones

glad i wasn't alone!

this has been kept fairly quiet hasn't it? usually this kind of news has it's own thread.

not that i think that it should, but just that it usually does. :unsure:

Certainly not alone! I'm quite slow on the uptake... :)

Robert made a guest appearance with Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin last night at the Cannery Ballroom in Nashville, backed by Buddy's band which included Cody Dickinson from the North Mississippi All-Stars. They performed "Sea of Heartbreak" and a song from the Crown Vic set in Marfa (the tiitle escaped me, must have been the bourbon). Robert did talk about Crown Vic and referred to them as "Mine and Patty's new band". He said he named the band after his favorite car. The crowd loved that one.

With Robert hanging his hat in Texas for the time being, I wonder if a collaboration with Billy Gibbons might be in the offing. (a haw haw haw)

Might be kinda cool. Of course Plant would have to let his goatee grow out another two feet.

Here's a video of some of Robert's performance last night at the Cannery Ballroom with Patty and Buddy, including some talk about finding his feminine side and cleaning work surfaces :lol:

Also gives a shout out to Crown Vic at the end :rollin:

• 3 weeks later...

Posted by Mike Hall, senior editor of Texas Monthly

http://twitter.com/m...938978782527490

I do feel (and in some respect fear) for Robert and Patty as people seem to be tweeting Robert's every move. I was out of state this weekend but one of my friends filled me in on the Bill Carter and the Blame show (the one where Johnny Depp and Billy Gibbons played) at the Continental in Austin. According to my friend, it was the "worst kept secret" in town that "Robert Plant will be there" and she said this led to a near "Day of the Locust" type scene with fans showing up to see Robert, rather than the band. In the end, though, Robert did not show up and we don't know if that's because a false rumor spun out of control or because Robert felt that he couldn't enjoy the show in privacy (or if his presence would draw attention away from the band).

I do feel (and in some respect fear) for Robert and Patty as people seem to be tweeting Robert's every move. I was out of state this weekend but one of my friends filled me in on the Bill Carter and the Blame show (the one where Johnny Depp and Billy Gibbons played) at the Continental in Austin. According to my friend, it was the "worst kept secret" in town that "Robert Plant will be there" and she said this led to a near "Day of the Locust" type scene with fans showing up to see Robert, rather than the band. In the end, though, Robert did not show up and we don't know if that's because a false rumor spun out of control or because Robert felt that he couldn't enjoy the show in privacy (or if his presence would draw attention away from the band).

I also heard about this issue and probably shouldn't have posted that link on here about what was overheard. There are still people claiming that Robert was at the Continental although people who would actually know, including Dony Wynn, have said that he wasn't there. From what I've heard from people who were at the club (or tried to get in) it was an absolute craze. Of course, I'm sure Johnny Depp had something to do with it, but I know that there was A LOT of talk about Robert being there for the midnight show the day before and the day of. Also, more on the line of Robert and Patty, some of the information that has been tweeted about both of them has been uncomfortably specific as to locations, activities, etc. and I'm just hoping that things will calm down when he becomes less of an oddity in the Austin area or that they're at least aware of the situation and taking precautions.

I also heard about this issue and probably shouldn't have posted that link on here about what was overheard. There are still people claiming that Robert was at the Continental although people who would actually know, including Dony Wynn, have said that he wasn't there. From what I've heard from people who were at the club (or tried to get in) it was an absolute craze. Of course, I'm sure Johnny Depp had something to do with it, but I know that there was A LOT of talk about Robert being there for the midnight show the day before and the day of. Also, more on the line of Robert and Patty, some of the information that has been tweeted about both of them has been uncomfortably specific as to locations, activities, etc. and I'm just hoping that things will calm down when he becomes less of an oddity in the Austin area or that they're at least aware of the situation and taking precautions.

Hi Jaleigh, I think the links you and Nech posted are fine as they were "after the fact", not in real time where people would have time to race over to a venue or a store to "catch" Robert.

I spoke to people who were at the Continental on Saturday night and who are reliable and they also say that Robert was not there. All the mayhem at the door and the talk about him being there made me wonder if he really had planned to go and then changed his mind. I agree with you as far as the tweeting about Robert's and Patty's specific locations - hopefully it will calm down. As someone wrote a few months ago on an Austin site: "Robert lives in Austin now. Be cool people."

Hi Jaleigh, I think the links you and Nech posted are fine as they were "after the fact", not in real time where people would have time to race over to a venue or a store to "catch" Robert.

I spoke to people who were at the Continental on Saturday night and who are reliable and they also say that Robert was not there. All the mayhem at the door and the talk about him being there made me wonder if he really had planned to go and then changed his mind. I agree with you as far as the tweeting about Robert's and Patty's specific locations - hopefully it will calm down. As someone wrote a few months ago on an Austin site: "Robert lives in Austin now. Be cool people."

Yeah, every reliable source I heard from said he wasn't there and I do think it had something to do with ALL THE FUSS that was going around in Austin because I think it would have been an event he would have really enjoyed...I mean, Billy Gibbons made a special trip to drive there after a concert so it was kinda the place to be. I have to say though, for all the people who have all but posted their address, there are also a lot of people who are posting that they saw Robert and Patty at such and such a place a day or so ago and thought it was really cool that no one was trying to take pictures or mess with them, so I think it evens out. Austin is a very cool city and I know a vast majority think it's great he's there but are also used to celebrities. If the small few who still freak out and go WAY OVERBOARD with information will just chill, it should be fine.

• 2 months later...

I hope you forgive the lateness, but I've only just recently gotten around to uploading some concert clips I shot to YouTube. Something about the format or size prevented me from uploading it directly from my phone or computer.

Anyway, here now is a clip of Robert and the Band of Joy doing "Monkey" at the Greek Theatre in Hollywood on Sat. April 23, 2011. I had filmed another song, "Ramble On" but it came out terrible...the sound was awful. Even this clip isn't the best sound quality but it's listenable.

As I posted in my review of the Santa Barbara show the following Monday, my phone battery died on the train trip up, so I had no juice to film anything from the Santa Barbara Bowl concert. Which is a shame, for it was at this show that Robert broke out the rarely, if ever, played "All My Love", with haunting steel guitar accompaniment.

Apparently no one else thought to video this song, which is mystifying to me...I mean, who needs another YouTube clip of "Black Dog"?

Here you go...

Thanks ProPlant! :thumbsup:

After the Santa Barbara Bowl show, I searched for months and months for an All My Love clip, to no avail. I finally gave up around Halloween.

Is this YOUR clip, ProPlant? You had much better seats than me. Since my decision to even go to the SB show was last-minute spontaneous, I was in the back section.

After the Santa Barbara Bowl show, I searched for months and months for an All My Love clip, to no avail. I finally gave up around Halloween.

I wish it was my clip because that would mean I was there. This is just the only one I could find after my own months of searching. Enjoy

Add me to the list of YouTube searchers for this song after I heard he had played it. Thanks so much for posting this ProPlant! :notworthy: Still can't believe he played this. SB was a lucky crowd! :)

Add me to the list of YouTube searchers for this song after I heard he had played it. Thanks so much for posting this ProPlant! :notworthy: Still can't believe he played this. SB was a lucky crowd! :)

Yes, we were. I put the Santa Barbara show above the LA show even though I had way better seats at the LA show.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.cbc.ca/ra...s/20110621plant

This is a RP/Band of Joy show from last year, recorded by the CBC radio in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The venue is the same place that Zeppelin played at in 1970 I believe....If someone has already posted this I apologise for the duplication. This just came my way yesterday....cheers Richard

Archived