Why didn´t they play "Achilles" during the O2 gig?

They couldn't play them all.

For me the glaring omission was The Rain Song arguably their best arranged song before Kashmir and TYG.

Most of the versions I've heard and videos seen of ALS, was probably not their best effort live.

Still love the song though.

Think Robert said that they were too old for the running numbers. Is this true? Any other idears why they did not play ALS (their best song for me and alot of others)?

While I agree it's their greatest song it's arguably the best example of - as Jimmy put it - John Bonham making what they wrote work.

While I agree it's their greatest song it's arguably the best example of - as Jimmy put it - John Bonham making what they wrote work.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

The only glaring omission, IMO, is something off In Through The Outdoor - like "In The Evening".

I guess by the great vid thats posted, when you only have one guitar onstage playing only the main part, its never going to sound as good live unless they got another guitarist in to play those harmony lines etc like they did with Page/Plant.Those shows were good as the two guitarists beefed the sound out as it is on record. They were some good shows.

If they had of toured after the o2 I would of hoped they would of at least had some other geezer at the back of the stage be able to play all those bits Page couldn't with one geeeetarrr..bit like Queen did that on tour with i think Spike Edney ??, thats why at times zeps stuff live wasn't as good as the record (only some before you linch me), the fact is ALS is one of em also its a tough one for Plant to sing now ( I would imagine ), so I think its to do with that now, if your not going to sing and give it justice, then drop it however dissapointing it was for all of us who Think ALS is the one. Plant cannot sing likehe did in 1975.

I guess by the great vid thats posted, when you only have one guitar onstage playing only the main part, its never going to sound as good live unless they got another guitarist in to play those harmony lines etc like they did with Page/Plant.Those shows were good as the two guitarists beefed the sound out as it is on record. They were some good shows.

That particular video was posted to illustrate precisely what you've surmised concerning the limitations of performing the piece as a single guitarist. It was attempted twice during the Page/Plant era with a second guitarist (Porl Thompson) (below) but it seems to me the absence of Bonham was still too glaring and the song was dropped for good.

The O2 was the best show I have ever seen of them.But I don´t think you need a second guitarplayer for ALS .Listen to the badgeholder version!Even the versions of the tour1980

were better than most of the other stuff they played at these concerts.So this is not a real explaination for not playing it.OK they could not play everything but I guess everybody would agree that ALS is much better than "For your life".

The O2 was the best show I have ever seen of them. But I don´t think you need a second guitar player for ALS. Listen to the badgeholder version! Even the versions of the tour 1980 were better than most of the other stuff they played at these concerts. So this is not a real explaination for not playing it. OK they could not play everything but I guess everybody would agree that ALS is much better than "For your life".

Single or dual guitarist In either case the absence of Bonham would be glaring. ALS is their best song, IMHO, but I wouldn't have wanted them to drop For Your Life to play it because For Your Life had never been performed in concert before.

^^^^^^^^^ I like both versions you posted, but yes Bonzo on it is spot on and so tight, you couldn't get a rizzla paper between those fills of his.

As I have aways said ALS is them at their best in every dept, everyone of them puts in a performance. When you think punk was on the scene then in 1976 this song is/was as vibrant,essential and spontaneous as anything punk had to offer in the next 18 months or so, plus it was progressive and adventurous to boot.

This was the summit for Zeppelin ( my opinion you understand)

I thought this was common wisdom....Percy vetoed ALS from the O2 setlist because he consideres Achilles too much 'heavy metal' (sorry that's Percy's opninion)

:slapface:

Personally I think the single guitar '77 live arrangement works very good....on LTTE the song is simply incredible.

I thought this was common wisdom....Percy vetoed ALS from the O2 setlist because he consideres Achilles too much 'heavy metal' (sorry that's Percy's opninion)

:slapface:

Really ?? I am sure SAJ will confirm if Robert was quoted as saying that ??

Exactly my thoughts as well.

The only glaring omission, IMO, is something off In Through The Outdoor - like "In The Evening".

I love In The Evening and wished they had played it. I know they couldn't play everything that the fans would have wanted to hear, but I still think they should have had at least one song from every studio album, then built up from there. It may not be the most beloved work, or even their most critically/commercially-acclaimed, but it's still a great album nonetheless.

Single or dual guitarist In either case the absence of Bonham would be glaring. ALS is their best song, IMHO, but I wouldn't have wanted them to drop For Your Life to play it because For Your Life had never been performed in concert before.

Right ! But they should have played ALS,too.I think Jason was ok playing the other songs.Why not this one?

Don't get me wrong I love the whole Zep catalog but the one song I think they could have done without and played something instead is Ramble On- they played it alot on the Page/Plant tours. I would have much rather heard Houses of the Holy as I read where Jimmy said they rehearsed it.

And yes Achilles Last Stand is one of my favs but I have both of the versions they played in '95 with Page/Plant and it was lacking one ingredient- BONZO haha

Think Robert said that they were too old for the running numbers.Is this true? Any other idears why they did not play ALS (their best song for me and alot of others)?

Which song do you recommend that they did play to have not been played to make room for ALS? STH ?? :)

Like everyone has said I too understand they couldn't play them all. But I sure would have loved the inclusion of The Rain Song, Ten Years Gone,

and What Is and What Should Never Be. Not that I'm not thrilled (and grateful too) with what they did do! :)

Regarding ALS I'm probably the only one on this forum,-- but I'm not terribly fond of the song. :o I know it has a hugh fan base but I

can't figure out the attraction. The song (to me) crosses from hard rock into heavy metal big time. Maybe that's it. Or, maybe it's the fact that the

music is driving and relentless. Like the beat of a train running full speed constantly and me running along side unable to catch a breath.

So, I'm personally glad they didn't drop one of the other songs for this. But, like I said I do get this is a big favorite among many (I just don't get why). .............:) missy

Like everyone has said I too understand they couldn't play them all. But I sure would have loved the inclusion of The Rain Song, Ten Years Gone,

and What Is and What Should Never Be. Not that I'm not thrilled (and grateful too) with what they did do! :)

Regarding ALS I'm probably the only one on this forum,-- but I'm not terribly fond of the song. :o I know it has a hugh fan base but I

can't figure out the attraction. The song (to me) crosses from hard rock into heavy metal big time. Maybe that's it. Or, maybe it's the fact that the

music is driving and relentless. Like the beat of a train running full speed constantly and me running along side unable to catch a breath.

So, I'm personally glad they didn't drop one of the other songs for this. But, like I said I do get this is a big favorite among many (I just don't get why). .............:) missy

I like honesty and I think it is fun to hear what one person prefers to the next-God made us all different and unique. If we all agreed or liked exactly the same things- the world would be rather boring. I also would have liked them to have performed Ten Years Gone or the Rain Song but I think that Page/Plant played What is and What should Never be a tad too much. * Missy put down the broom down* :P

Achilles has been my favorite since i could walk for sure.

I dont think they could have pulled this off on the 02 night..imo.

I saw Page/Plant may 25th 1995, when i was 9 years old, they had played achilles twice a few months before like steve has posted, and it just doesnt sound right, doesnt flow right without bonham.

Archived