Phil Collins officially quits music business

danelectro59

http://newsfeed.time...ss-world-huffpo

guess we won't have to worry about him filling in for Bonzo anymore

The man had major back surgery and can't hold the sticks anymore. He had to have them taped to his hands in order to play the drums on his recent cd. And no he won't be playing drums for the remaining Zeppelin members nor for any Plant solo work either.

In any case, I wouldn't wish his condition on anyone.

Not sure why certain publications are just now picking up on this, he announced it months ago and then it was also included in an interview Rolling Stone conducted with him at the time. To read that interview it seems like he's got a lot more going on than just some problems with his neck. Apparently all the criticism that was leveled at him in the 80s has taken it's toll.

The man had major back surgery and can't hold the sticks anymore. He had to have them taped to his hands in order to play the drums on his recent cd. And no he won't be playing drums for the remaining Zeppelin members nor for any Plant solo work either.

ahh. I lose my bit about Phul Colons and his album Ass Value I guess. Not funi any more. Get as well as you can Phil.

edited: so as not to forget "In the derriere tonight"

That's a shame. I hope he gets better. I didn't like those pop songs he did in the 1980's either, but he really is a fantastic drummer. Like everybody else it has to be the right framework, but his work with Genesis and Brand X was great. And even as a singer, actually, it's not all bad. He had to replace Peter Gabriel in 1975, and did quite well on the first album they did after Gabriel left, A Trick of the Tail. The problem was that the band then slowly morphed into a somewhat cheesy pop outfit, and that wasn't just Phil's approach.

Amazing drummer. I saw him playing Drums with Robert Plant on The Principle of Moments Tour and with Genesis in 1984.

Live Aid ws a drag but his heart was in the right place.

The Genesis "When in Rome" concert was in front of 1/2 a million people and simply the most incredible light and stage show ever.

Some of the earlier Genesis and Brand X work is some of the best progressive / fusion drumming ever played.

Also peter gabriel --- melting face robert fripps exposure -

his combining of live drums and drum machines like in MAMA was breakthrough stuff too.

I miss the guy's music and wish him well.

http://newsfeed.time...ss-world-huffpo

guess we won't have to worry about him filling in for Bonzo anymore

Locarno, Switzerland has a center where Phil Collins could inquire about cold laser therapy if he has not done so already. He should ask his doctor about it.

What conditions can cold laser treat? drbaumler.com/lasertxs

How does laser light heal? drbaumler.com/laserheal

I now seem to be the only person on the planet who enjoyed his pop stuff in the 80s. Yes, I bought Sussudio. Or whatever it was called. But anyway, I enjoyed it, though I was never a Genesis fan. I realize this makes me appear mentally unstable, but I don't care. Poor old Phil.

I see it didn't take long before somebody admonished me about this. Cannot we use sarcasm around here anymore? For the record, I have nothing against Phil Collins and in fact, respect the man for all of his musical accomplishments. Because I choose to use humor to post this, the serious folks have to chime in. Jesus, Don Rickles would starve today. Anyway, tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that as the older Phil gets, he looks more like the little guy Benny Hill used to pat on the head. :)

Hey, count me in the group that likes Phil Collins too. Some of the stuff he did in the 80s was uber-schmaltzy, but some of it was really good. Easy Lover, Long Long Way To Go, Another Day In Paradise, In The Air Tonight.....it wasn't all dross. Not to mention, some of my favorite Genesis songs were done after Peter Gabriel left; Many Too Many, Follow Me, Follow You, That's All.

It's a shame about his medical problems, because while he's not the absolute greatest drummer that ever lived, he's damn good regardless.

I have been a fan of Genesis and Phil Collins music. I saw him and Philip Bailey do a drum solo together back in the early nineties and it probably in my top 5 of all performances of a drum solo. I wish him the best and maybe as time goes by he will step back into the music world. He IMHO is extremely talented.

I can always enjoy the music that he has in his career. I will always be a fan of the man. These are just two of my favorites.

If leaving me is easy - Phil Collins

Phil Collins - I Don't Care Anymore

Hey, count me in the group that likes Phil Collins too. Some of the stuff he did in the 80s was uber-schmaltzy, but some of it was really good. Easy Lover, Long Long Way To Go, Another Day In Paradise, In The Air Tonight.....it wasn't all dross.

That's two or three of us on this planet, then! I really liked all those.

^ ^ ^

It seems Eternal Light has returned to the forum.

This exact thought crossed my mind earlier this week. I do hope she has some longevity here as I find her entertaining and informative in a unique way.

Phil, I hope your pain subsides and you don't have to lose your fortune to your ex wives. All the best to you.

Years ago I was going through some of my sisters' old records and found this one with Phil on it. I have no idea how much it may be worth or if it's worth anything at all. Still, a pretty cool find even though I've never been a Collins fan.

FlamingYouthUSAFrontweb.jpg

From E!Online:

False Alarm! Phil Collins Still in Business

Mon., Mar. 7, 2011 9:20 PM PST by NATALIE FINN

425.Collins.Phil.070807.jpg

Jon Furniss/WireImage.com

Phil Collins' fans have another day in paradise to look forward to.

The British pop star "is not, has no intention of, retiring," says Collins' rep in the U.K., a few days after an interview the artist gave to FHM went public in which he revealed plans to take "some real serious time off."

Technically he never said the word retire, but what is "I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely" supposed to mean, then?

Asked if he was ready to be known as an ex-rocker, Collins replied, "It feels like a good time to stop for a while. David Letterman wanted me to go on his show on a Monday night recently but I said, 'No. Can't do it. I have the kids on a Monday.' And my label said, 'But this is Letterman!' And I was like, 'Guess what? I. Don't. Give. A. F--k!'"

With aggression like that, too bad he can't bang on his drums anymore, an unfortunate development he appears to be taking in stride.

"I'm not worried about not being able to play the drums again," he said, noting the nerve damage diagnosed in his hands and the dislocated vertebra in his neck. "I'm more worried about being able to cut a loaf of bread safely or building things for my kids. My doctors tell me it's a work in progress, that it'll take about a year for me to recover. [My hands are] not strong enough to play the drums. I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again."

Addressing his seeming ubiquity over the years, starting with his time in Genesis (they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year) and moving on to his solo career and various collaborations, Collins only semi-joked that he had become the "pop star nobody likes."

"Around the time that the music was being played so incessantly people wanted to strangle me," he said. "It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me. I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that!"

Well, sorry haters. There's plenty more where that came from!

Archived