Black Dragon Suit-History in Photos

DavidZoso

We all know Jimmy Page had some of the most cool stage wear of any rock star out there. One of his masterpieces was the Black Dragon suit. Most people think he only wore it at the 5 earls Court shows in 1975- but he also wore it at some shows in 1977 as well. The very first appearance was not the full outfit but just the pants with a different jacket. The other jacket worn with the pants was the one worn on most of the concert dates in 1972-1973 and in the movie-'The Song Remains the Same.' Maybe someone else knows why he didn't wear the jacket the first time- maybe the person who made it for him hadn't finished it yet. That first appearance of the pants was at the last US show in 1975. The 3rd and last night at the Los Angeles Forum March 27, 1975.

Then of course he wore the full jacket and pants at the 5 Earls Court shows in May 1975. I would have more pics from these shows but most are misdated etc and I only like to post what I know to be 100% correct date and venue. Most of you have seen the footage on the official DVD -2003 and that footage was taken from the 4th and 5th nights- 5-24 & 25-1975.

One lil bit of trivia-they all wore the same oufits for all 5 shows except on the 3rd night- Robert Plant wore a different blouse. The one he wore alot on the US tour '75- the blouse I like to call the Red Cherry blouse. The other 4 nights was the dark blue blouse.

Then the Black Dragon suit didn't make another appearance until the 1977 tour and the first time was at the Largo 5-28-77 show(3rd night out of 3). he wore the full outfit along with a white scarf.

The next appearance was at the Los Angeles Forum -secong night out of six. June 22, 1977. The interesting thing about this show is he wore the full outfit again with white scarf(scarf taken off after first couple of numbers) but after he came back fro the ending of the Over the Top/Moby Dick segment he was wearing the full White Dragon suit. I know this because I know the guy who took some of these pics I am posting and that is what his roll of film shows and what he remembers he did- I will have a full photo thread of this show soon.

Also I have had the silent video footage of this show for years but because it was silent- just thought it was another LA show out of the six nights but now with these guys who again I say hats off to- have synched up the sound to all the silent footage- I now know it is all from one night. The proof being the late playing of Over the Hills and Far Away on that footage while all the other shows when they played it was 4th song in the set.

Next appearance was at Tempe , Arizona 7-20-77 and no photos have surfaced yet but one review says Jimmy wore the Black Dragon suit pants with a plain black t-shirt and a white scarf. Hopefully someday pics will appear.

The last appearance of the Black Dragon suit was the first of two outdoor shows played in Oakland on 7-23-77. This was the next to last US show Zeppelin ever played. He wore the full Black Dragon suit with a plain black t-shirt-no white scarf this time.

3-27-75/ Los Angeles Forum- Black Dragon pants only-different jacket.

5-17-75 Earls Court -Full Black Dragon suit

5-18-75 Earls Court -Full Black Dragon suit

5-23-75 Earls Court -Full Black Dragon suit

5-24-75 Earls Court -Full Black Dragon suit

5-25-75 Earls Court -Full Black Dragon suit

5-28-77 Largo, Maryland- Full Black Dragon suit with white scarf

6-22-77 Los Angeles Forum -Full Black Dragon suit with white scarf

7-20-77 Tempe, Arizona - Black Dragon pants- plain black t-shirt with white scarf

7-23-77 Oakland, CA - Full Black Dragon suit with plain black t-shirt

Los Angeles Forum 3-27-75

327753-1.jpg

LA Forum 3-27-75

32775.jpg

Kashmir- LA Forum 3-27-75

327752.jpg

Whole Lotta Love- LA Forum 3-27-75

327754.jpg

Earls Court 5-17-75

51775EC.jpg

In My Time of Dying-Earls Court-5-18-75

518755-1.jpg

Dazed and Confused-Earls Court 5-18-75

518753.jpg

Stairway to Heaven-Earls Court 5-18-75

51875earslcourt.jpg

Whole Lotta Love- Earls Court 5-18-75

518752.jpg

Kashmir- Earls Court 5-23-75

52375.jpg

Kashmir-Earls Court 5-23-75

523755.jpg

No Quarter-Earls Court 5-23-75 (rare use of his lake placid blue stratocaster)

RP_JP_Earls_Court_London_by_Pennie_.jpg

Tangerine-Earls Court 5-23-75

523754-1.jpg

In my Time of Dying- Earls Court 5-24-75

52475.jpg

Heartbreaker- Earls Court- 5-25-75

525756.jpg

The Song Remains the Same-Largo, Maryland 5-28-77

528772.jpg

The Song Remains the Same-Largo, Maryland 5-28-77

528773.jpg

The Battle of Evermore-Largo, Maryland 5-28-77

52877.jpg

The Song Remains the Same- Los Angeles Forum 6-22-77

song2.jpg

The Battle of Evermore-LA Forum 6-22-77

6254.jpg

White Summer/Black Mountainside- LA Forum 6-22-77

6252.jpg

Kashmir-LA Forum 6-22-77

Kashmir8.jpg

Kashmir- LA F orum 6-22-77

kashmir9.jpg

Walking to the stage-Oakland, CA 7-23-77

1977-07-23_JP_JB_Oakland_Coliseum-01.jpg

The Song Remains the Same- Oakland, CA 7-23-77

72377-1.jpg

No Quarter-Oakland, CA 7-23-77

723772.jpg

Ten Years Gone- Oakland, CA 7-23-77

723775.jpg

Kashmir-Oakland, CA 7-23-77

723773.jpg

Theremin solo- Oakland, CA 7-23-77

1977-07-23_JP_Oakland_Coliseum-17.jpg

Violin Bow solo- Oakland, CA 7-23-77

723774.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a brilliant, well researched, post - just what I came here looking for in fact so thank you very much!

My husband has asked me to make a black dragon suit for the Jimmy Page in his tribute band.

The only thing I don't know now is what the back looks like - I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a colour picture of Jimmy's back in the black suit? The Theramin solo one you have posted is the best I have found so far, but I'd really like to make it as accurate as possible rather than guess the bits I can't see - as I just know that everyone in the audience will be ready to spot the bits that aren't right!

Can anyone help me? I don't mind if you don't know the source gig of the pictures, I just need to know what the trousers (pants??) and jacket look like!

Wow, what a brilliant, well researched, post - just what I came here looking for in fact so thank you very much!

My husband has asked me to make a black dragon suit for the Jimmy Page in his tribute band.

The only thing I don't know now is what the back looks like - I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a colour picture of Jimmy's back in the black suit? The Theramin solo one you have posted is the best I have found so far, but I'd really like to make it as accurate as possible rather than guess the bits I can't see - as I just know that everyone in the audience will be ready to spot the bits that aren't right!

Can anyone help me? I don't mind if you don't know the source gig of the pictures, I just need to know what the trousers (pants??) and jacket look like!

I have a picture of it somewhere in my Zep archive. I will look for it and post it if I can find it. lol good luck on the suit, really. the only dude other than Jimmy Page that has a black dragon suit is this guy; http://www.mrjimmy.jp/equipments.htm

Look at stage costumes. I've actually wanted one for a while to wear at my band gigs (we do a lotta Zeppelin) but no one can make it as far as I know.

I have a picture of it somewhere in my Zep archive. I will look for it and post it if I can find it. lol good luck on the suit, really. the only dude other than Jimmy Page that has a black dragon suit is this guy; http://www.mrjimmy.jp/equipments.htm

Look at stage costumes. I've actually wanted one for a while to wear at my band gigs (we do a lotta Zeppelin) but no one can make it as far as I know.

That Mr Jimmy has a brilliant costume - thanks for the link. At least I know it can be done... but I think I will need all the luck I can get to make it look that good!

Edited by supergirl2000

Here ya go!

Oh wow that is absolutely brilliant and really clear - thank you SO much!

I was replying to your last post just as you were posting the pic.

I'll come back and show you what I managed to come up with when its finished, although looking at all that embroidery it might be a while... LOL!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

ive recently returned from holiday and met the maker of the JP dragon suits. She was amazed that anyone was interested in them but really pleased. He nickname is Coco and she currently lives in the UK. I read the posts to her and she wanted me to post on her behalf. She said the JP wanted the suits to reflect the Chinese year of the dragon which was 76 - 77. The original suits have her name embroidered in the hem of the trousers. Originally she made the trousers and then the jacket as JP had a white bolero jacket at the time. The dragon is snapping at the crotch area (a joke) the signs of the zodiac are embrodered into the fly. She also says that she made a matching guitar strap whcih nobody mentioned. The final appearance of the suit was Madison Square Garden and it was later displayed in America and stolen from the museam. (Ican't recall where). She is happy to answer any questions as i am in contact with her. Her nickname has nothing to do with Coco Chanel!.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...