Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
oziumrules

TOOL Thread

Recommended Posts

A Perfect Union of Contrary Things, the authorized biography of Maynard James Keenan, arrives Nov. 8 via Backbeat Books.

A Perfect Union of Contrary Things is the authorized biography of musician and vintner Maynard James Keenan. Co-author Sarah Jensen's 30-year friendship with Keenan gives her unique insight into his history and career trajectory. The book traces Keenan's journey from his Midwest childhood to his years in the Army to his time in art school, from his stint at a Boston pet shop to his place in the international spotlight and his influence on contemporary music and regional winemaking. A comprehensive portrayal of a versatile and dedicated artist, A Perfect Union of Contrary Things pays homage to the people and places that shaped the man and his art.

Until now, Maynard's fans have had access to only an abridged version of his story. A Perfect Union of Contrary Things presents the outtakes, the scenes of disappointment and triumph, and the events that led him to take one step after the next, to change direction, to explore sometimes surprising opportunities. Included are sidebars in his own words, often humorous anecdotes that illuminate the narrative, as well as commentary by his family members, friends, instructors, and industry colleagues. The book also features a foreword by Alex Grey, an American visionary artist and longtime friend of Keenan, who has designed Tool's album and stage art. Accompanying the text are photos of Keenan from childhood to the present.

Maynard's story is a metaphor for the reader's own evolution and an encouragement to follow one's dreams, hold fast to individual integrity, and work ceaselessly to fulfill our creative potential.

http://www.halleonardbooks.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=146489&lid=0&keywords=146489&menuid=10283&subsiteid=168&

5uiuohI.jpg

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TypeO and Sath, you'll like this...a friend of mine just sent me photos recently unearthed of Tool at Raji's in 1991, which happened to be the first Tool gig I saw. My girlfriend at the time and her acid-dealer friend said I had to see this band! Unfortunately I took acid that night and don't remember specifics about the show other than a general sense of a strange, intense vibe and being mesmerized by Maynard's movements and vocal delivery. I certainly don't remember Tom Morello being there...but there he is (in the red cap) standing in front of the stage! Gawd, I miss Raji's. It's now a parking lot...wait, check that...they are in the process of digging up that parking lot and preparing to build some new monstrosity there. Anyway, here are some photos of the Raji's gig...

ZFJe1H3.jpg

12729302_10153798198316648_3449404008394837934_n.jpg

CapMlonUAAAaeZJ.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Strider said:

TypeO and Sath, you'll like this...a friend of mine just sent me photos recently unearthed of Tool at Raji's in 1991, which happened to be the first Tool gig I saw. My girlfriend at the time and her acid-dealer friend said I had to see this band! Unfortunately I took acid that night and don't remember specifics about the show other than a general sense of a strange, intense vibe and being mesmerized by Maynard's movements and vocal delivery. I certainly don't remember Tom Morello being there...but there he is (in the red cap) standing in front of the stage! Gawd, I miss Raji's. It's now a parking lot...wait, check that...they are in the process of digging up that parking lot and preparing to build some new monstrosity there. Anyway, here are some photos of the Raji's gig...

ZFJe1H3.jpg

12729302_10153798198316648_3449404008394837934_n.jpg

CapMlonUAAAaeZJ.jpg

Dude, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing man!

Is there audio of this show out there? Love their early stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Dude, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing man!

Is there audio of this show out there? Love their early stuff. 

 Man, I would have to think so. I mean, if I was taping them somebody else must have been taping their shows, too. I didn't tape the Raji's gig but I did tape the next few Tool shows I saw...one of the Jello Loft shows, the Tool/White Zombie show at the Whisky in February 1992, Tool opening for the Henry Rollins Band at Fairfax High School July 1992, and Lollapalooza 1993.

Sadly, all my Tool tapes were among the rest of my tape collection stolen or lost over the years. I still have some of the shows I recorded but most are from 1998 thru 2006 when I pretty much gave up taping. 99% of all the concerts I taped from 1982 to 1997 are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^One of the Jello Loft shows is out there to be gotten, the one from 9/5/91.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Strider said:

 Man, I would have to think so. I mean, if I was taping them somebody else must have been taping their shows, too. I didn't tape the Raji's gig but I did tape the next few Tool shows I saw...one of the Jello Loft shows, the Tool/White Zombie show at the Whisky in February 1992, Tool opening for the Henry Rollins Band at Fairfax High School July 1992, and Lollapalooza 1993.

Sadly, all my Tool tapes were among the rest of my tape collection stolen or lost over the years. I still have some of the shows I recorded but most are from 1998 thru 2006 when I pretty much gave up taping. 99% of all the concerts I taped from 1982 to 1997 are gone.

Damn! :(

14 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

^^One of the Jello Loft shows is out there to be gotten, the one from 9/5/91.

A great one! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2016 at 1:11 PM, Sathington Willoughby said:

Dude, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing man!

Is there audio of this show out there? Love their early stuff. 

^^^ THIS, so much. ^^^

Thanks, Sean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was listening to Cygnus X-1 Book 1: The Voyage, the other day on YT and I came across this comment by a fellow YT user, talking about how much this song, reminded him of the band Tool

Curious, I searched for Tool and lo and behold, I came across Undertow and Aenima! WOW! What brilliantly dark albums! Just the thing that I was looking for! :D 

To me, these guys seem like a heavy metal version of Pink Floyd B) 

I know that Aenima is a classic among Tool fans, but Undertow  is right up there too, IMHO! :D 

Can't wait to sink my teeth into their entire discography and hopefully, the band will come up with a brand new album, soon, what with all those obstacles out of the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Was listening to Cygnus X-1 Book 1: The Voyage, the other day on YT and I came across this comment by a fellow YT user, talking about how much this song, reminded him of the band Tool

Curious, I searched for Tool and lo and behold, I came across Undertow and Aenima! WOW! What brilliantly dark albums! Just the thing that I was looking for! :D 

To me, these guys seem like a heavy metal version of Pink Floyd B) 

I know that Aenima is a classic among Tool fans, but Undertow  is right up there too, IMHO! :D 

Can't wait to sink my teeth into their entire discography and hopefully, the band will come up with a brand new album, soon, what with all those obstacles out of the way. 

Glad to have you on board, P!

It took me a long time to fully embrace these guys, because as you alluded to, they can be quite dark and bleak. I remember 'Schism' getting some airplay on MTV back in the early 2000's (believe it or not, lol) and I had friends that were way into them for years. Then one night I heard 'Stinkfist' on the radio and something just clicked. :stereo:

...and of course, I'm sure you've seen this posted on this forum many times over the years. (and rightly so!) 

 

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Glad to have you on board, P!

It took me a long time to fully embrace these guys, because as you alluded to, they can be quite dark and bleak. I remember 'Schism' getting some airplay on MTV back in the early 2000's (believe it or not, lol) and I had friends that were way into them for years. Then one night I heard 'Stinkfist' on the radio and something just clicked. :stereo:

...and of course, I'm sure you've seen this posted on this forum many times over the years. (and rightly so!) 

 

That No Quarter cover is the stuff that legends are made of, Sath! I've seen it around here so many times and I don't blame fellow Zep Heads for loving it so much! :D 

I'm with you, regarding the whole aspect of taking time to get into the music of bands like this. For instance, In high school, while I was busy getting into Led Zeppelin, CSNY, The Baker Gurvitz Army, Cream, The Who, etc., the majority of my peers, were into bands who were the quintessential dark, heavy metal driven outfits like Metallica, Linkin' Park and HIM.  Needless to say, I couldn't stomach any these bands, but as I got older, I (like you) really began appreciating various incarnations of rock. :) 

When I listened to the songs Prison Sex and H, for the first time, I was hooked and that's when I knew that there was something wild, foreboding and cool about Tool! B) 

Stinkfist is such a cool song! :thumbsup: 

I have to ask, Sath. What's your favourite album? After careful consideration (after listening to Aenima, Undertow, Lateralus and 10,000 days), my favourite album (so far), is Undertow followed extremely closely by Aenima!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

That No Quarter cover is the stuff that legends are made of, Sath! I've seen it around here so many times and I don't blame fellow Zep Heads for loving it so much! :D 

I'm with you, regarding the whole aspect of taking time to get into the music of bands like this. For instance, In high school, while I was busy getting into Led Zeppelin, CSNY, The Baker Gurvitz Army, Cream, The Who, etc., the majority of my peers, were into bands who were the quintessential dark, heavy metal driven outfits like Metallica, Linkin' Park and HIM.  Needless to say, I couldn't stomach any these bands, but as I got older, I (like you) really began appreciating various incarnations of rock. :) 

When I listened to the songs Prison Sex and H, for the first time, I was hooked and that's when I knew that there was something wild, foreboding and cool about Tool! B) 

Stinkfist is such a cool song! :thumbsup: 

I have to ask, Sath. What's your favourite album? After careful consideration (after listening to Aenima, Undertow, Lateralus and 10,000 days), my favourite album (so far), is Undertow followed extremely closely by Aenima!

Believe it or not, it's their first release, the Opiate EP! I often tend to gravitate to a bands first album for whatever reason, be it Tool, Zep, Primus... there's just a certain raw energy there. Aenima is of course, way up there, (Forty Six & 2 is a beast!) as is Undertow. Around Lateralus, they start to become more hit or miss imo, sometimes getting to complex for their own good. Still loads of gems though, Parabola may be their best song of all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Believe it or not, it's their first release, the Opiate EP! I often tend to gravitate to a bands first album for whatever reason, be it Tool, Zep, Primus... there's just a certain raw energy there. Aenima is of course, way up there, (Forty Six & 2 is a beast!) as is Undertow. Around Lateralus, they start to become more hit or miss imo, sometimes getting to complex for their own good. Still loads of gems though, Parabola may be their best song of all. 

Oh, I forgot about Opiate! I think I'll give it another listen.

I agree with you about Lateralus, Sath! When I heard about it being the most progressive album that Tool has ever done, I couldn't help but get excited, being the progressive rock fan, that I am. I gave that album not one, but two listens and it just didn't click with me!

I have ordered for the CD versions Undertow and Aenima and I hope to get my hands on those albums soon! :stereo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Oh, I forgot about Opiate! I think I'll give it another listen.

I agree with you about Lateralus, Sath! When I heard about it being the most progressive album that Tool has ever done, I couldn't help but get excited, being the progressive rock fan, that I am. I gave that album not one, but two listens and it just didn't click with me!

I have ordered for the CD versions Undertow and Aenima and I hope to get my hands on those albums soon! :stereo:

Great additions to any collection! Enjoy them, P! :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Great additions to any collection! Enjoy them, P! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Morgan! :D I had a gift card saved up from my birthday, last year and didn't want to let it go to waste! B) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:P

Edited to add: This is not my meme. Had it been my meme, I would have been way more careful with details such as quotation mark placement! ;) 

16640898_595966050603496_8935094594282934268_n.jpg

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Tool has taken a lesson from Maynard's wine interest...we shall release no record before its time. It has to properly age before you can listen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Strider said:

Sounds like Tool has taken a lesson from Maynard's wine interest...we shall release no record before its time. It has to properly age before you can listen.

I am going to be optimistic about this. You never know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×