ZEPPELIN ALBUMS 5.1 ?

many conversions of there albums have been done from various people, into Quad or 5.1 .

i was simply wondering if jimmy page would ever consider releasing there albums in surround.

like Pink Floyd is doing with there TDSOTM , WYWH, & possibly The Wall.

anyway ive been trying to find out , but ive just hit a wall , and figured i go straight to the source

and ask if its ever going to happen

I've got How The West Was Won on DVD Audio with 5.1. The Advanced Resolution track is good but the the left and right channels of the Dolby Digital tracks on one of the discs are reversed.

i have that dvd as well , im mainly trying to see if anything in terms of albums are ever going to be released in surround

I seem to recall an interview with Jimmy around 2003 (when the DVD came out) where he said that remixing the studio albums in 5.1 was something he was interested in and the next logical thing to do. I looked around, but could not find a copy online. In any event, obviously in the 8 years since then, it hasn't happened.

Here is the quote I was thinking of:

LED ZEPPELIN: A Live Discovery

Led Zeppelin fans who trade tapes are singing a happy tune. An audience tape of the band's last concert of 1970 -- September 19th at New York's Madison Square Garden -- is now making the rounds on the Internet. Often called the best show the band did that year, it's two-and-a-half hours long and includes covers of Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl," Little Richard's "The Girl Can't Help It" and Eddie Cochran's "20 Flight Rock," as well as a tribute to Jimi Hendrix, who died the day before.

Last year, when Zeppelin went into their vaults and came out with the Led Zeppelin D-V-D and How the West Was Won C-D, we asked Jimmy Page what else was left. He told us, "What there is, is some very, very interesting early mixes of songs... and alternative version of songs, too." Page says he'd like to release that material and to remix the Zeppelin catalog in surround sound.

Jimmy Page on what's left in Led Zeppelin's archives.

"What there is, is some very, very interesting sort of early mixes of songs. Alternative mixes and alternative version of songs too. Maybe it will take another 20 years for those things to come out but it's something I'd really like to listen to them all again and just see. But of course you know there's quite a movement, and I'm helping to promote it, towards five-one. So that's another area with the studio albums. It's all in time. We'll see what unfolds."

thanks for all that valued info , i didn't know that jimmy had even mentioned remixing the albums in 5.1

i have all the Live Dvd's they put out including the bootleg 2 Disc O2 Arena in Surround

every Zeppelin & 5.1 album collector would love to hear them in multichannel.

and im one of the many who will be waiting for that day that they are offically cataloged.

or maybe put out a petition to get the ball rolling like they did for PF WYWH

For those fans of RUSH, the band recently release a 30th ann. of Moving Pictures on CD/DVD. The surround sound of Limelight with blow your mind! Definitely something Plant, Page and Jones should think about.

• 7 months later...

I think this is a nice idea, but the chances of it ever happening are vanishingly small.

Creating a 5.1 mix is far removed from simple re-mastering. It would mean going back to the original multitrack master tapes, and if you've ever read about the state that the tapes were in when the DVD/HTWWW projects were in progress then you'll appreciate the possible/probable difficulties involved there. Jimmy threw a bit of a fit when Kevin Shirley told him those tapes were in such bad condition that they had to be baked, and that even then they'd only get one or two shots at the digital transfer before things started to get damaged beyond all further use - and some of those album multitracks are coming up to 45 years old now....

And..... providing they managed to make the transfers without destroying the tapes, how critical would we all be of the brand new mixes? Don't forget all the issues surrounding the TSRTS re-release. With all the new digital editing technology available now, how tempted would Jimmy be to take out the bass-drum pedal squeaks, and the telephones ringing in the background etc. etc. (although if he fixed the tuning on that pedal steel on 'Your Time is Gonna Come' I for one wouldn't be too upset!).

What I'm saying, in essence, is - the Original albums are, in my opinion, absolutely fabulous statements of their time. Don't let us go down the road that George Lucas did with Star Wars.

Leave them be and enjoy them for what they are.

King Crimson recently issued a 30th anniversary edition of "Discipline" featuring 2011 remixes, 2011 remasters, rough mixes and several alternate versions of songs found on the album....all of which are in a DVD-audio format as well as on conventional 16 bit CD format.

Zeppelin, if not doing their entire catalogue over should really consider doing such a thing for at least a classic album or two of theirs. I don't see the harm in doing something like this.

• 6 years later...

woz70, fascinating info on the mater tapes. I wonder why they are in such bad shape?

So what would the recommendation be for someone looking to hear a mix that's as close to the original 70's quad. mix as possible without tracking down a truckload of vintage equipment and dropping hundreds on tapes or vinyl that will inevitably not do any justice to the recording... I have listening to Floyd and Zep in TRUE quad as they were intended on my bucket list. I feel like with the current technology and affordable options for surround sound systems, it is all finally within reach for the common person like me. The Floyd is no sweat. The O.G. Alan Parson Mix is out there in the ether in digital format. Haven't gotten my grubby hands on it yet, but I will be looking. Apparently no such luck for the classic Zep tunes... :( 

16 hours ago, rustybutterknife said:

woz70, fascinating info on the mater tapes. I wonder why they are in such bad shape?

So what would the recommendation be for someone looking to hear a mix that's as close to the original 70's quad. mix as possible without tracking down a truckload of vintage equipment and dropping hundreds on tapes or vinyl that will inevitably not do any justice to the recording... I have listening to Floyd and Zep in TRUE quad as they were intended on my bucket list. I feel like with the current technology and affordable options for surround sound systems, it is all finally within reach for the common person like me. The Floyd is no sweat. The O.G. Alan Parson Mix is out there in the ether in digital format. Haven't gotten my grubby hands on it yet, but I will be looking. Apparently no such luck for the classic Zep tunes... :( 

Sticky shed syndrome is the answer to your first question. This happens when the adhesive connecting the oxide to the tape breaks down and becomes a gluey mess, coming off the tape and sticking to and clogging up the tape machine. 

Regarding 5.1 mixes I think the possibility of them appearing gets smaller everyday. As has been pointed out it would be a big job for a start and with an ever decreasing niche market to sell to. 5.1 like Quad before just hasn’t taken off as a viable commercial format. Even in home cinema it’s being challenged by the simpler and much less clutter inducing soundbar. 

Since Jimmy originally made the statements regarding 5.1 we’ve had the advent of the iPod, the rise of the mp3, Spotify,  a new headphone generation, single Bluetooth speaker systems, decline in most physical format sales, streaming audio and video and a rise in the sales of vinyl.

I’m not saying he won’t do it ( I’m not Jimmy Page) but I’d imagine it’s not been too high on his to do list lately. He’s probably got it penciled in for after he’s finished his solo album!

It would be interesting to have all the studio output in 5:1. However , Floyd, Crimson and bands like that, particularly Floyd,

they were messing with unique and innovative sound scapes technically even live. I think with Zep, 1), as mentioned

many of the masters etc. are in bad shape anyway, and 2), this project would be very arduous for Jimmy, and in fact

the albums could not artistically be compared to the originals, as now there would be overdubs and who knows

what bouncing all over the place. Maybe I am going overboard, but we aren't talking AC/DC here, where everything would

sound the same but simply much more dimensional.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, babysquid said:

Sticky shed syndrome is the answer to your first question. This happens when the adhesive connecting the oxide to the tape breaks down and becomes a gluey mess, coming off the tape and sticking to and clogging up the tape machine. 

Thanks for the response, that sounds like a real mess.

Has anyone who has heard the Ludwig version of LZ2 on vinyl, or a high quality tape of a similar mix, ever commented on the subsequent remasters for the CD releases? How do they compare? Guess that would be as good as it gets unless something new comes along in terms of fidelity...

Archived