Strider Takes His GF To Led Zeppelin And Loses Her To Robert.

Strider, I have a Reddit account, and any time someone on the Zeppelin subreddit asks what being at a Led Zeppelin concert was like, I link to this post. I consider this required reading for all Zeppelin fans, especially those who were too young or not even born yet to see Zeppelin. I can vividly picture each and every detail you recount, and I think it's allowed me to at least get a taste for what made a Zeppelin concert so special. Man you are one hell of a lucky guy to have seen them so many times! From the bottom of my heart, thank you for sharing your memories with us. They truly are a treasure. :notworthy:

9 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Strider, I have a Reddit account, and any time someone on the Zeppelin subreddit asks what being at a Led Zeppelin concert was like, I link to this post. I consider this required reading for all Zeppelin fans, especially those who were too young or not even born yet to see Zeppelin. I can vividly picture each and every detail you recount, and I think it's allowed me to at least get a taste for what made a Zeppelin concert so special. Man you are one hell of a lucky guy to have seen them so many times! From the bottom of my heart, thank you for sharing your memories with us. They truly are a treasure. :notworthy:

Reddit is a world I don't visit so I guess I have to thank you for expanding the reach of my Zeppelin scribblings.

My mom and dad divorced when I was young and I spent the 1970s with a series of stepmoms. My mom always feels guilty about this and whenever she starts to apologize I stop her in her tracks and thank her for getting the hell out of her hometown and giving me the good fortune to be born in Southern California in the 1960s in time to fully experience the 1970s.

That was pure luck. Whatever ills my childhood had, seeing Led Zeppelin more than made up for them.

You could crucify me like Jesus Christ. If there is a Led Zeppelin concert at the end, I'll endure whatever it takes.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:28 PM, Strider said:

Is this Montreal 1972 you are talking about or Montreal 1975? Either way, kudos to you for the balls and brains to sneak a tape recorder in back then!

Stryder, used to take tape recorders in alll the time.  My teenage objective was simply to be able to listen to the show a few times later on.  Posterity was not on my mind as I would have taken better care recording, used best tapes available and stored properly. Many of the shows I recorded over.  I know, wow.  Not Zep but many, many other late 60s thru mid 80's from Yes to Trower to Crimson to Ten Years after and in between.  The recording mentioned above is 72 altho I did also tape Mtl. 75 and a couple of shows NYC 77.

An early show on the debut RP US tour in 83 (Detroit), had two recorders. One tucked in the back of my pants covered by tshirt and one in my boot just in case.  

• 10 months later...

Thank you so much! What a great read... now I have to figure out how to hunt down your other recollections :)
I am so grateful you share your memories - being to young to have had the chance to see them live (safe for the O2 gig - forget about winning money at a lottery - this was FAR better!!!) - I can only imagine what kind of impact a concert like that in times of no mobiles, no internet, no instant gratifications must have had on young, starved and impressionable minds :)

On 6/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, KathW75 said:

Thank you so much! What a great read... now I have to figure out how to hunt down your other recollections :)
I am so grateful you share your memories - being to young to have had the chance to see them live (safe for the O2 gig - forget about winning money at a lottery - this was FAR better!!!) - I can only imagine what kind of impact a concert like that in times of no mobiles, no internet, no instant gratifications must have had on young, starved and impressionable minds :)

Is this what you are looking for?

Or this?

Edited by Strider

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, blueser said:

Great stories Strider.

You are a great writer.

Do you read Hunter S. Thompson?

1. Thank you.

2. I don't know about that...a great writer could have said in 100 words what it took me a thousand to say. When I look back on those posts now, I cringe. I wish I could go back and edit them. TMI. But thank you for the compliment.

3. Absolutely. I read "Hells Angels", "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas", and "Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72", and "Fear & Loathing at the Super Bowl" voraciously throughout the 1970s and still revisit them and his other writings from time to time.

1 hour ago, BoogieWoogit said:

Native Californian but write and spell quite specifically Brit English?  I enjoyed the story and appreciate the effort, even if I believe it quite fictional. 

Strider, not that I need to defend you. Because I certainly do not. And your credibility on this forum is as credible as can be. 

As for Mr BoogieWoogit, being skeptical, or cynical can be useful. Having said that, my parents went to several of the shows at the Fillmore in 69 as well as Winterland. And they were stoned out of their minds. They did not keep a journal as did our amazing Mr Strider. Their recollection of their 6 separate concerts was amazing to me when I heard and compared against Dave Lewis’s concert files. Down to very minute details. And this was from 1 Greaser, hard ass Marine good looking crazy wanting to start a fight wherever he went man, and a want to be hippy Mother who was trying to keep her bad ass Marine out of all the destruction he was trying to create. I bring this up because, I was a child of those parents, and encouraged to keep a journal as a young age, I pride myself on my memory and although some things may change with time, having kept a journal as I know Mr Strider did I find it slightly disrespectful to call it fictitious, or fictional. Even if you say you like it. That’s questioning someone’s credibility. 

I apologize if it seems as if I’m giving a lesson or calling you out. That’s not what I want to do. But when you read someone’s story, and then question their intentions, and their honesty, and say that you enjoyed it. I personally find that to be hurtful and dismissive. 

Strider, thank you again for the recollection, it’s insanely cool. I wish I could have been there with you man. Sorry to ramble on.

I first Read this Post two years ago and I absolutely love re-reading it whenever I get the chance, I even have it Booked marked on my Search Bar. Its Quite possibly my favourite post on this entire forum, more enjoyable than any Zeppelin bio like Hammer of the Gods or When Giants Walked the Earth because its comes from an authentic diehard fans account. As someone who was born decades after Zeppelin broke up and will never get to see them live in all their glory, this post is the closest I'll ever get to experiencing what it was truly like for a concert-goer in 1973 seeing the biggest band of the decade. When I come across people who saw Zeppelin in Melbourne 1972, their recollections usually consist of "Gee is was a while ago...My memory is a bit hazy...they were good...I think it rained?", so this incredibly in depth account is a nice change of pace. Thank You Strider, You're a legend!

Edited by Dazed Page

17 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Strider, not that I need to defend you. Because I certainly do not. And your credibility on this forum is as credible as can be. 

As for Mr BoogieWoogit, being skeptical, or cynical can be useful. Having said that, my parents went to several of the shows at the Fillmore in 69 as well as Winterland. And they were stoned out of their minds. They did not keep a journal as did our amazing Mr Strider. Their recollection of their 6 separate concerts was amazing to me when I heard and compared against Dave Lewis’s concert files. Down to very minute details. And this was from 1 Greaser, hard ass Marine good looking crazy wanting to start a fight wherever he went man, and a want to be hippy Mother who was trying to keep her bad ass Marine out of all the destruction he was trying to create. I bring this up because, I was a child of those parents, and encouraged to keep a journal as a young age, I pride myself on my memory and although some things may change with time, having kept a journal as I know Mr Strider did I find it slightly disrespectful to call it fictitious, or fictional. Even if you say you like it. That’s questioning someone’s credibility. 

I apologize if it seems as if I’m giving a lesson or calling you out. That’s not what I want to do. But when you read someone’s story, and then question their intentions, and their honesty, and say that you enjoyed it. I personally find that to be hurtful and dismissive. 

Strider, thank you again for the recollection, it’s insanely cool. I wish I could have been there with you man. Sorry to ramble on.

Where there are forums, there are trolls. He will fuck off soon enough.

image.jpeg.22738d6af8490cca38ba27f4ace4d903.jpeg

19 hours ago, Plant77 said:

1 hour ago, 1975NQ said:

Where there are forums, there are trolls. He will fuck off soon enough.

Hold on. Just because someone questions my post does not mean they are a troll. I get it...a kid under 15 going to see Led Zeppelin is always going to strike certain people as odd and fantastical. Especially in these times of over-protective helicopter parenting. I have learned to let the doubters not bother me and give 'em some slack. Hell, I used to see hippie-parents bring near-babies to concerts in the 1970s.

2 minutes ago, Strider said:

Hold on. Just because someone questions my post does not mean they are a troll. I get it...a kid under 15 going to see Led Zeppelin is always going to strike certain people as odd and fantastical. Especially in these times of over-protective helicopter parenting. I have learned to let the doubters not bother me and give 'em some slack. Hell, I used to see hippie-parents bring near-babies to concerts in the 1970s.

You know what ... that's a good point, Strider.

My apologies, Boogie Woogit. Doubting Strider doesn't make you a troll. 

He actually made a good point about your Brit English, I've spotted that myself in a couple of your posts. 😂 I figured it was just some bizarre thing you did for whatever reason and didn't give it much thought beyond that.

And yeah parenting was different in the 70s, I can attest to that personally as someone born in 1970. My mom would take me and my brother to social functions after church on Sundays and the grown-ups did NOT hold back. She also took us to R-rated movies and foreign films every week which created my love for that medium. Things were looser back then. Which personally, I'm grateful for. If my mom was a helicopter parent, I would have turned out way less happier and self-sufficient.

21 hours ago, BoogieWoogit said:

Native Californian but write and spell quite specifically Brit English?  I enjoyed the story and appreciate the effort, even if I believe it quite fictional. 

I have explained this before but since you are new, I will do so again. I spent several years in Europe and England after high school. Many of the books I read at this time were from English publishers and bookshops. Gradually, the British spellings just seeped into my writing until it became second-nature to me. I was not really cognizant of it until I came back to the U.S. and people commented upon my British spelling of colour and so forth. There is no real purpose or ulterior motive...I am definitely not doing it to sound posh. It is just the way I write and always have since the early 1980s.

Since Led Zeppelin is an English band, I figured no one would mind if I wrote in the Queen's English as a sort of tribute to Led Zeppelin's British roots.

The 'ou' has stayed with me, but I have reverted back to the American 'z' over the British 's' for words such as realize and recognize. Z is for Zeppelin, after all.

11 minutes ago, Strider said:

I have explained this before but since you are new, I will do so again. I spent several years in Europe and England after high school. Many of the books I read at this time were from English publishers and bookshops. Gradually, the British spellings just seeped into my writing until it became second-nature to me. I was not really cognizant of it until I came back to the U.S. and people commented upon my British spelling of colour and so forth. There is no real purpose or ulterior motive...I am definitely not doing it to sound posh. It is just the way I write and always have since the early 1980s.

Since Led Zeppelin is an English band, I figured no one would mind if I wrote in the Queen's English as a sort of tribute to Led Zeppelin's British roots.

The 'ou' has stayed with me, but I have reverted back to the American 'z' over the British 's' for words such as realize and recognize. Z is for Zeppelin, after all.

Hella cringy!!! 🤣

But we are all Zep fans here, and that's what counts. Just being on this site on a regular basis (yep, including myself 100%) is cringy. But hey, I own it. I get teased about it now and again from people who know I'm on this thing lol.

9 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

Hella cringy!!! 🤣

But we are all Zep fans here, and that's what counts. Just being on this site on a regular basis (yep, including myself 100%) is cringy. But hey, I own it. I get teased about it now and again from people who know I'm on this thing lol.

It could be worse. You could be on a BTS forum...or even worse, Creed.

6 minutes ago, Strider said:

It could be worse. You could be on a BTS forum...or even worse, Creed.

I had to google BTS, that's how out of the loop I am 😂

I was trying to come up with something clever to add, but the only modern band I'm aware of that might by cringy is 21Pilots (my ex loved them lol).

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Problem is most people no longer understand proper English. Spelling color as colour is proper English just like doughnut instead of donut. Its not posh, its correct and good for you as proper language is a dying art.

23 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Problem is most people no longer understand proper English. Spelling color as colour is proper English just like doughnut instead of donut. Its not posh, its correct and good for you as proper language is a dying art.

I remember buying Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and seeing the song "Any Colour You Like" and going "Hmmm". Plus, most of my record collection at that time was made up of British bands...Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Kinks, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Elton John, Cream, Yardbirds, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Yes, ELP. So you could say it probably started even before I went overseas. Reading the NME and Melody Maker also certainly played a part.

26 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Agreed that most people don't understand grammar (average IQ for a human being is 99 points, just being real here), but I'm not sure "colour" vs "color" is considered correct grammar here in the states. It's a moving target here in the states with tweaks here and there over the decades, but I wouldn't say the good folks over at Merriam-Webster are dullards or philistines. The language changes, we change, it's part of life. You could even say it's very American. It's why no writes a thread title on here that goes: "Dost Thou Enjoy the longer No Quarters of '77?"

Having said that, I agree that proper language is indeed a dying art. Nabokov's "Lolita" gets shit on for the unsavory plot, but the writing itself is what makes it a masterpiece. Dude was in love with the English language and basically wrote a love letter to it, all the while dragging us through the twisted mind of Humbert Humbert .. tricking us into relating to a guy who is essentially pure evil (or do we trick ourselves?). But I digress. I almost tried to be clever and tie Lolita to Zep/Page/Maddox but nah.

3 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Agreed that most people don't understand grammar (average IQ for a human being is 99 points, just being real here), but I'm not sure "colour" vs "color" is considered correct grammar here in the states. It's a moving target here in the states with tweaks here and there over the decades, but I wouldn't say the good folks over at Merriam-Webster are dullards or philistines. The language changes, we change, it's part of life. You could even say it's very American. It's why no writes a thread title on here that goes: "Dost Thou Enjoy the longer No Quarters of '77?"

Having said that, I agree that proper language is indeed a dying art. Nabokov's "Lolita" gets shit on for the unsavory plot, but the writing itself is what makes it a masterpiece. Dude was in love with the English language and basically wrote a love letter to it, all the while dragging us through the twisted mind of Humbert Humbert .. tricking us into relating to a guy who is essentially pure evil (or do we trick ourselves?). But I digress. I almost tried to be clever and tie Lolita to Zep/Page/Maddox but nah.

Thou doest, thou doest kind Sir!

Nah, I hear ya, it's just sad when people assume strange happenings whenever someone uses a more formal English over the colloquial. 

Dig the Nabakov shout out. Love that book as it really is a depraved artwork of sorts. Funny though regarding Humbert, I always thought he was stuck at 14 (the age his true love left him) emotionally and could only relate to a child of 12-15. Dude was a seriously psychologically damaged, manipulative, abusive rat bastard but it was still one hell of a yarn told very well.

12 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Thou doest, thou doest kind Sir!

Nah, I hear ya, it's just sad when people assume strange happenings whenever someone uses a more formal English over the colloquial. 

Dig the Nabakov shout out. Love that book as it really is a depraved artwork of sorts. Funny though regarding Humbert, I always thought he was stuck at 14 (the age his true love left him) emotionally and could only relate to a child of 12-15. Dude was a seriously psychologically damaged, manipulative, abusive rat bastard but it was still one hell of a yarn told very well.

Ohh that's a good catch regarding Humbert! Nabokov writing about borderline personality disorder before it had a name (technically, they're stuck at age 3 but close enough).

4 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

Ohh that's a good catch regarding Humbert! Nabokov writing about borderline personality disorder before it had a name (technically, they're stuck at age 3 but close enough).

Yes, the beginning of the book up to Humbert meeting Lolita's mother was the best part IMO as it was the set-up of the whole book. It really gets into Humbert's twisted thought process and possibly how it all began for him. 

Amazing book. I had to do a detailed analysis of Lolita while at university as part of an abnormal psych class. The professor wanted us to describe Humbert's possible psychological problems, the psychological themes of the book, and who Delores (Lolita) really was. Only two ladies in the class nailed all three requirements perfectly as the last requirement was open to individual interpretation. Found it telling only the ladies understood Delores was not in fact a "real person" in the sense of the term as the entire story is simply Humbert's unreliable recollection of events and Delores has no true voice of her own.

6 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Yes, the beginning of the book up to Humbert meeting Lolita's mother was the best part IMO as it was the set-up of the whole book. It really gets into Humbert's twisted thought process and possibly how it all began for him. 

Amazing book. I had to do a detailed analysis of Lolita while at university as part of an abnormal psych class. The professor wanted us to describe Humbert's possible psychological problems, the psychological themes of the book, and who Delores (Lolita) really was. Only two ladies in the class nailed all three requirements perfectly as the last requirement was open to individual interpretation. Found it telling only the ladies understood Delores was not in fact a "real person" in the sense of the term as the entire story is simply Humbert's unreliable recollection of events and Delores has no true voice of her own.

That's really interesting and very cool that your professor brought Lolita into the mix - what a great way to be introduced to that book. And yeah, very telling that only the ladies got it. Now I wanna re-read it yet again lol.