Stupid people

bouillon

13 hours ago, kipper said:

Why are kids in oakland not as smart as kids in Palo alto?   

When people ask me "What's wrong with public education?" I say "The public."

All parenting, and by extension all teaching, is modeling.  What do your children see you doing?  When you come home from work do you read a book or work in a garden or built some shelving?  Or do you grab another beer and switch on the TV?  What did you see your parents do?  

When I realized that my daughters both LOVE books and The Beatles, I knew they were going to be OK!

8 minutes ago, chef free said:

When people ask me "What's wrong with public education?" I say "The public."

All parenting, and by extension all teaching, is modeling.  What do your children see you doing?  When you come home from work do you read a book or work in a garden or built some shelving?  Or do you grab another beer and switch on the TV?  What did you see your parents do?  

When I realized that my daughters both LOVE books and The Beatles, I knew they were going to be OK!

I agree, teachers cant do more for making kids smart than their parents. Whihc is probably why Asian kids do so much better in school because they want them to prosper.

Is Oakland another one of those areas where education is on everything other than math and science?

2 hours ago, kipper said:

I agree, teachers cant do more for making kids smart than their parents. Whihc is probably why Asian kids do so much better in school because they want them to prosper.

Is Oakland another one of those areas where education is on everything other than math and science?

Asian kids do "well" in school because of the history of China, Confucianism and the Civil Service tests during that time.  A civil service job in ancient China would take you out of poverty and into the government.  Peasants would spend years studying to take the test.  A student could only take the test once and a score of 100% was necessary to pass.

Asian parents will show me a report card with 6 A+'s on it and ask me (seriously) "How can they do better?"  I tell them the truth they don't want to hear, "Employers are looking for well rounded employees who can get along with others in a wide variety of social and business situations. I suggest a non-academic after school activity like music, art or sports."

A friend of mine is a project manager for Lockheed Martin, he can't stand these "straight A's" types because they have no self direction, they have to be told what to do all the time.  "They come into my office twelve times a day to make sure they are doing the right thing!  I have my own job to do!"  This is why they hit the so-called bamboo ceiling, they can't schmooze or party.  So great grades aren't the end-all and be-all of education.

Oakland experienced  "white flight" during the 60's, 70's, and 80's leaving a large, poor, African American population.  Manufacturing jobs disappeared (my old '59 Impala was built at the GM plant in Oakland!) and unemployment and crime skyrocketed.  Wealthier residents pulled their kids from Oakland schools and things got pretty desperate.  I've known teachers who worked in Oaktown and it's a tough job...

Actually, the Earth is not a perfect sphere, it bows out at the equator and is kinda smooshed at the poles due to gravitational forces from the sun.

As for the Millennial's, they are neither dumber or smarter than any other generation. The fact is, when people get older they tend to turn into the "get off my lawn...the good old days...you kids have no idea what work is" assholes. As cultural norms change and technology advances the aging generations always believe the succeeding generations to be shitheel dopes when in fact they are exactly the same, just in a different time. 

I find it ironic that the teens of the 50's Blackboard Jungle, Rebel Without a Cause were being shit on by the Greatest Generation are now shitting on the Millennial's for the same reason.

Pretty goddamned hilarious if you ask me. Everyone turns into their grandparents in the end if they are not careful.

15 hours ago, IpMan said:

I find it ironic that the teens of the 50's Blackboard Jungle, Rebel Without a Cause were being shit on by the Greatest Generation are now shitting on the Millennial's for the same reason.

peabe.jpg

15 hours ago, IpMan said:

Actually, the Earth is not a perfect sphere, it bows out at the equator and is kinda smooshed at the poles due to gravitational forces from the sun.

As for the Millennial's, they are neither dumber or smarter than any other generation. The fact is, when people get older they tend to turn into the "get off my lawn...the good old days...you kids have no idea what work is" assholes. As cultural norms change and technology advances the aging generations always believe the succeeding generations to be shitheel dopes when in fact they are exactly the same, just in a different time. 

Pretty goddamned hilarious if you ask me. Everyone turns into their grandparents in the end if they are not careful.

Yep!  It's a great tradition for old people to dump on the "younger generation".

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."  -Socrates (469–399 B.C.) by Plato, according to William L. Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277 (1953).

• 1 year later...

Florida men busted with narcotics labeled ‘Bag Full of Drugs’

February 4, 2020 | 3:14pm | Updated

Enlarge Image
The narcotics found by Santa Rosa authorities.
The narcotics found by Santa Rosa authorities. Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office

Some criminals try to outsmart the cops — but this pair didn’t leave them guessing for a second.

Two Florida men were busted over the weekend for speeding around with meth, cocaine and more packed in sacks with the words “Bag Full of Drugs” printed on them, authorities said.

“Santa Rosa K-9 Deputies recently assisted [Florida Highway Patrol] on a traffic stop on I-10 where a large amount of narcotics were discovered,” the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office posted to Facebook Monday. “Note to self — do not traffic your illegal narcotics in bags labeled ‘Bag Full Of Drugs.’ Our K-9’s can read.”

Authorities pulled over driver Ian Christian Simmons and passenger Joshua Michael Reinhardt, both 34 and from Orlando, around 5:30 p.m. Saturday for cruising up to 95 miles per hour in their Kia, according to a Highway Patrol news release obtained by the Pensacola News-Journal.

Authorities found 75 grams of methamphetamine, 1.36 kilograms of the sedative GHB, 1 gram of cocaine, 3.6 grams of fentanyl, 15 MDMA tablets and drug paraphernalia inside the vehicle, they said.

Both men were charged with possession of drug equipment, two counts of drug trafficking and two counts of drug possession, authorities said.

Both were booked into the Santa Rosa County Jail without a chance for bond, and remained in custody Tuesday afternoon, jail records show.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:41 PM, Ross62 said:

Florida men busted with narcotics labeled ‘Bag Full of Drugs’

February 4, 2020 | 3:14pm | Updated

Enlarge Image
The narcotics found by Santa Rosa authorities.
The narcotics found by Santa Rosa authorities. Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office

Some criminals try to outsmart the cops — but this pair didn’t leave them guessing for a second.

Two Florida men were busted over the weekend for speeding around with meth, cocaine and more packed in sacks with the words “Bag Full of Drugs” printed on them, authorities said.

“Santa Rosa K-9 Deputies recently assisted [Florida Highway Patrol] on a traffic stop on I-10 where a large amount of narcotics were discovered,” the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office posted to Facebook Monday. “Note to self — do not traffic your illegal narcotics in bags labeled ‘Bag Full Of Drugs.’ Our K-9’s can read.”

Authorities pulled over driver Ian Christian Simmons and passenger Joshua Michael Reinhardt, both 34 and from Orlando, around 5:30 p.m. Saturday for cruising up to 95 miles per hour in their Kia, according to a Highway Patrol news release obtained by the Pensacola News-Journal.

Authorities found 75 grams of methamphetamine, 1.36 kilograms of the sedative GHB, 1 gram of cocaine, 3.6 grams of fentanyl, 15 MDMA tablets and drug paraphernalia inside the vehicle, they said.

Both men were charged with possession of drug equipment, two counts of drug trafficking and two counts of drug possession, authorities said.

Both were booked into the Santa Rosa County Jail without a chance for bond, and remained in custody Tuesday afternoon, jail records show.

The cops likely puled them over just to find out how the hell a Kia could be doing 95.

Long before Clint did The Mule, I knew this old guy (old to me, I was 15 he was 67) in the neighborhood who was constantly going out of town on "business" but with an erratic schedule and always very casually dressed. This was the early 80's and shit like that just did not happen. Businessmen wore suits back then...always and did not leave and return at odd hours. The guy was very nice & kind, very friendly to everyone. As he lived two doors down from me we wound up friends. Turned out this guy was a drug courier running weed out of BC to the States. He was doing this because he had a very disabled son who had been in specialized institutions since he was in his early 20's due to a serious car accident. Guy did this until around 73 years old at which point he got out of the business as his son had passed away. This guy never got so much as a ticket, never stopped, searched, nothing because he was not some moron, he did his research, drove different routes each time and never used the same border crossing twice in a row. As he was an older, very genteel looking man driving a 1972 International Scout he was never bothered.

Now THAT'S how you run dope.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:07 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

The cops likely puled them over just to find out how the hell a Kia could be doing 95.

Long before Clint did The Mule, I knew this old guy (old to me, I was 15 he was 67) in the neighborhood who was constantly going out of town on "business" but with an erratic schedule and always very casually dressed. This was the early 80's and shit like that just did not happen. Businessmen wore suits back then...always and did not leave and return at odd hours. The guy was very nice & kind, very friendly to everyone. As he lived two doors down from me we wound up friends. Turned out this guy was a drug courier running weed out of BC to the States. He was doing this because he had a very disabled son who had been in specialized institutions since he was in his early 20's due to a serious car accident. Guy did this until around 73 years old at which point he got out of the business as his son had passed away. This guy never got so much as a ticket, never stopped, searched, nothing because he was not some moron, he did his research, drove different routes each time and never used the same border crossing twice in a row. As he was an older, very genteel looking man driving a 1972 International Scout he was never bothered.

Now THAT'S how you run dope.

I sold lids for $7 for my friend's Dad who lived in the ghetto housing projects in SF (The Pink Palace). Can't believe I never got robbed or beat up going to the 10th floor to his apt. Kilos were $80 back then. 😄