Jimmy Page greatest guitarist ever?

Danielle Andrea

143 members have voted

1. 1. Jimmy Page greatest guitarist ever?

• Yes!
    • No..
    • He's not the best. But he's up there, of course.

Well, John Mclaughlin is certainly a more formidable guitarist than Jimmy is (I don't want to use "better").

Remember, technical abilities are nothing without an artistic vision and it can't be debated that Jimmy Page has one of the best out there (so does John Mclaughlin)...

Jimmy could play just about any guitar, created more well known and influential riffs and solos than pretty much anyone else and was the leader of the biggest rock and roll band ever, what couldn't he do? Anything pretty much anyone else has ever done he has matched or surpassed.

Jimmy could play just about any guitar, created more well known and influential riffs and solos than pretty much anyone else and was the leader of the biggest rock and roll band ever, what couldn't he do? Anything pretty much anyone else has ever done he has matched or surpassed.

Agreed. This is what I'm saying! Ya know, obviously, many musicians can do it but not quite like Jimmy.

Absolutely the best, if he were dead there would be no debate see jimi hendrIx no disrespect but page to me is by far better; skill, range, writing & rock your assedness, I read the Rollin stone top 100 guitarists all time & page got fisted lube free but I say f@&k em, I got my ears satisfied so whatever the non rockers think is not my problem but I do feel bad dissin since some people are born stuPid

• 5 months later...

Too hard to pick. He'd definitely be in the top 3 with Jeff Beck and Roy Buchanan in my opinion. I can't decide who is #1.

Jeff Beck:

Can (and regularly does) carry a whole show or album with no singing need.

Much better solo than Page.

Best concert I've ever been too (and 2nd is not even close).

Roy Buchanan:

Probably the best overall in terms of ability of any guitar player.

Never lost the raw feeling in his music that younger less successful bands have before they become big time.

Taught Robby Robertson how to play guitar.

Jeff Beck bowed before his amazing ability.

Gave Charlie Daniels his first big break in music.

Jimmy Page:

Hands down the best song writer.

Widest variety of music (whereas Beck and Buchanan were almost exclusively solo artists).

Could rock harder than anyone ever.

Without Page 3 great musicians in Plant, Bonham and Jones probably never would have made it.

Highly creative (violin bow, mandolins, etc).

I don't really care who's #1. Let's be thankful we have great music like that made by Page, Buchanan, Beck, Clapton, Nugent, Hendrix, Vaughn and all the other greats.

• 1 month later...

He is my personal favorite, but on a skill and talent level, I would go with B.B. King or possibly Clapton.

I have always idolized Clapton and I love his music.

BUT on the other hand B.B. Kings is a blues legend...Also invented bending the strings.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not all that unique for a guitarist to be able to play 12 string, electric and acoustic guitars.

I play 12 strings acoustic, electric as well as 6 strings. 12 strings aren't more difficult to play than 6 strings, you just have to get used.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To Me Yes, He is, But I'm Sure somewhere there's a guitarist better than him. but again, there isn't a good and a bad guitarist, there's an influential guitarist and an Influenced Guitarist, and Jimmy Fucking Influenced Me and million others, So yeah, He Rocks.

Page is one of the greats per his studio work and production however

Jimi Hendrix will always be considered the greatest guitar player. When you

think how short Jimi's career was and the amount of hours he played each day,

meaning this guy lived for the music. Blackmore is also another fantastic player

and extremely prolific and the other who never got his was Rory Gallagher who

was FANTASTIC

Archived