Neil Young

freshmint

Got my tickets all lined up for November, very excited! I once drove with some friends up to the Broken Arrow Ranch up near Red Wood City from Sacramento on a complete whim. Don't know what we expected to find, turns out we didn't find anything but a locked gate. Still, the adventure of it was a blast! I'll never forget that night.

Even more than Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young has always rewarded my life-long fanship by being consistently challenging AND good. Whereas Bob and the Boss have slipped a few notches in the last decade with subpar recent albums and live performances, Neil remains compelling and his voice and playing haven't suffered the ravages of time that have marred Dylan and Springsteen.

I never have to think twice about forking over money to see Neil in concert. It's always worth it.

Edited by Strider

Never have been a Springsteen fan (though I have come to appreciate him more over the years) but I have seen Neil (2x) and Dylan (3x) in concert a few times. However, it hasn't been recently. Neil was through here a year or so ago in support of his Le Noise record with Bert Jansch in the support slot but the price of tickets were far too rich for my blood. I know he's Neil and that Neil does what Neil wants but if prices remain that high I'm going to have to continue to miss his shows and just be glad I've seen him in concert before. As for Bob, he's out on the road with Mark Knopfler as of the 14th. I wouldn't mind seeing that tour but so far there haven't been any dates announced in NC. I know he can be hit or miss performance-wise but I'm still looking forward to his new record that's coming out next month. It's getting rave reviews already and it hasn't even been released yet. It'll be interesting to see if it actually lives up to the hype.

^^^

Yes, Bob Dylan's new album has been getting good advance buzz, and being Bob Dylan, I will always give his albums a chance.

But the last three times I saw Bob Dylan in concert have been underwhelming at best, with his voice getting progressively worse. The last tour was so bad I almost felt sorry for him.

The last concerts I saw where Bob still "had it" were on the Love and Theft tour. By the Modern Life tour, he had moved to keyboards exclusively and his shows suffered from a lack of stage presence...his opening act Merle Haggard stole the show all three times I saw him that year.

But it got worse on the Together Through Life tour...his voice is painful to listen to now and there are no surprises in the setlist anymore.

Edited by Strider

As mentioned I've seen Dylan in concert three times. The first time was with Santana back in the early 90's. They were apparently flipping a coin to see who would go on first each night. On the night I saw them Dylan did the opening honors. His guitar playing and backing band were sublime, his singing was not. At least not to me. He was halfway through "Lay Lady Lay" before I even realized what song he was singing. However, a friend of mine that had seen him a number of times with the Dead around that same time period said, "that's the most coherent I've ever seen Dylan". The next time was when Dylan was touring with Paul Simon shortly after his heart scare. Dylan closed and was the most the most animated and jovial that I'd ever seen him. He even placed a phone call to Elvis Costello from the stage that night which was hilarious. The third and last time I saw him was on the Love and Theft tour. He and his band were both in fine form that evening with Dylan even dancing around the stage occasionally. With all due respect to the man, if I never see him in concert again I can die happy knowing I saw him while he still retained a good portion of his charisma and stage presence. I've heard some really horrific stories about some of his more recent performances and I'd rather not experience that firsthand if I don't have to. Still, seeing him with Knopfler would probably be a once in a lifetime experience and a real treat, especially since I've never seen Knopfler in concert at all.

^^^

Aye, there's the rub however...will you really be seeing Mark Knopfler WITH Bob Dylan, or will he just open for him? If there was to be a jam between the two, that would be worth checking out. But it's been my recent experience that Bob has let any collaborative chances fall by the wayside.

When he toured with Van Morrison and Joni Mitchell in 1999(alternating headline slots with Van just like your experience with Santana), there was no interaction between any of the acts. Same thing in 2005 when he had Merle Haggard open his Pantages shows. You would have thought Merle and Bob doing a song together would have been a no-brainer.

All that aside, by this point it hardly matters. I've got nearly 40 years of both Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen concerts under my belt. Bob I first saw in 1974 with The Band, so I could have never seen another Dylan show in my life and I could die happy. My first time seeing Bruce was when he opened for Blood, Sweat & Tears...or was it Dr. John? Nothing special but I eventually would see plenty of prime Bruce shows in the 70s and 80s and 90s.

And that is the difference between my feelings about going to see Bob and Bruce today and Neil Young. Whenever I've seen Dylan and Springsteen in the last 5-7 years, I feel as if their best years are behind them and I always feel kind of ho-hum or disappointed after their recent concerts.

Neil Young, however, still rocks my world in concert. I'm never left comparing old Neil to young Neil because Neil always has my attention focused in the here-and-now and the past is never an issue. His voice is still close to what it was back then and he is still capable of melting iron with his guitar.

And on every tour, it seems, the setlist is revamped and filled with surprises. If you saw the tour a few years ago when he broke out "Ambulance Blues" for the first time in eons, that was worth the price of admission alone.

Edited by Strider

^^^

Aye, there's the rub however...will you really be seeing Mark Knopfler WITH Bob Dylan, or will he just open for him? If there was to be a jam between the two, that would be worth checking out. But it's been my recent experience that Bob has let any collaborative chances fall by the wayside.

According to this report from Rolling Stone, when they toured together in Europe last year Knopfler also sat in with Dylan as a band member just as he's done in the past. Knopfler has a new album (Privateering) coming out just before Dylan's Tempest so it would make sense that he's also opening the shows. I guess we won't know for sure if Knopfler is going to actually be performing in Dylan's band until the tour (with Knopfler) kicks off in October in Canada.

Is Psychedelic Pill the name of NY & CH next album?

http://4.bp.blogspot...edelic-pill.jpg

Although it hasn't been officially confirmed yet (at least to my knowledge), that's what Crazy Horse member Poncho Sampedro said in in the interview Rolling Stone recently did with him that I posted above.

Even though Neil Young and Crazy Horse released Americana in June, a new album of original songs might appear in stores around the time the tour resumes in October. According to Poncho, the title will be called Psychedelic Pill, which is the name of one of the many new songs featured on this tour. "That song began in the studio when Neil sat down at the piano and began playing chords," says Poncho. "Ralph [Molina] was on drums and he started this beat on the snare and wouldn't stop for nearly an hour. We stood up and played it and realized it was a great song. We just haven't performed it that great yet, but we're getting more comfortable every night."

Although it hasn't been officially confirmed yet (at least to my knowledge), that's what Crazy Horse member Poncho Sampedro said in in the interview Rolling Stone recently did with him that I posted above.

I read the article in Rolling Stone before it was ever posted here and for all intents and purposes it still remains unconfirmed.

Why not comment on the information in the article posted instead of reposting the Rolling Stone thing?

Did you read the link?

I posed the question, is it the name of the new album?

I read the article in Rolling Stone before it was ever posted here and for all intents and purposes it still remains unconfirmed.

Why not comment on the information in the article posted instead of reposting the Rolling Stone thing?

Did you read the link?

I posed the question, is it the name of the new album?

There's no reason to go flying off the rails. If you're referring to the link you posted, yes I did click on it. It took me to a photo of someone holding a brightly colored capsule in the palm of their hand. Until I hear otherwise, "According to Poncho, the title will be called Psychedelic Pill, which is the name of one of the many new songs featured on this tour" is good enough for me. You never know with Neil. He could decide not to release the album, change the name or any number of different things between now and when the record is scheduled to be released. It's nothing to get all up in arms about, at least not from my perspective.

Edited by Jahfin

Up in arms, me?

Hardly, if I were you would know.

So you're saying there wasn't anything except a photo on that link?

Go to Thrashers Wheat,com for the full article.

I've tried to be polite to you in this exchange as I possibly can Reggie. You seem to want to know if the name of the new Neil Young and Crazy Horse is Psychedelic Pill. I don't have the answer but I've tried to provide you with the information I do have in the most polite manner possible. In my attempts to try to help you I get a bunch of hot tongue and grumble soup instead. If I was at all rude to you during this exchange, I completely missed it. And yes, if you click on the link you posted, it takes you to this photo:

psychedelic-pill.jpg

Perhaps this is the link you meant to post instead. If it is, it really doesn't offer any more information than what has been posted here as far as the title of the new Neil Young and Crazy Horse album is concerned. In fact, it references the same Rolling Stone article that I linked to several posts ago. This is a direct quote from the Thrasher's Wheat blog: "So now that we know the title of the new Neil Young & Crazy Horse album is "Psychedelic Pill" based on interview comments by Poncho in Rolling Stone, there's been much speculation on what the album will contain." Beyond that, I don't have any more answers than you do. What I do know is that anything Neil Young says is subject to change. By the way, that's not a slight on the man, it's just an observation I've made based on many years of being a fan. If he decides to change the name of the record to something else completely or to not release it at all I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Edited by Jahfin

I don't know how this got blown so out of proportion?

Obviously communication nowadays or at least written Internet communication is moot without emoticons as in almost all cases someone takes something personal or to heart as an attack on them.

It was a rhetorical question, given that no-one really knows the answer one way or another.

A discussion without anyone feeling the least bit

slighted or getting upset or descending into an argument would've made for a nice change. I still live in hope. Thank goodness there is someone in the music business who doesn't pander to anyone regarding their works and does it his way, right or wrong.

Back to topic.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of whatever it's called over the next few months.

Edited by Reggie29

Reggie, I'm not upset with you but I certainly was under the impression that you were upset with me by your first response to me trying to help you which seemed to indicate an angry and demanding tone. I also wasn't under the impression that you were asking a rhetorical question because after I'd tried to help answer it you said, "I posed the question, is it the name of the new album?" That, to me, is not a rhetorical question as it appears you are actually looking for an answer. Again, I am not in the least bit upset with you, I'm just trying to explain how I thought you were upset with me. I was certainly under the impression that I hadn't answered the question to your satisfaction when all I was trying to do was help.

On this day August 31st 1970, Neil Young released his album, After the Gold Rush. A great day for the music world and one of my favorites! :) Missy

The studio cut of "Southern Man."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08gzC3DuBAo

The beautiful "After the Goldrush," from the Rust Never Sleeps tour in 1978.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N88YgEKGMzI

And the inspiring "Don't Let it Bring You Down, from Chicago live, 1992.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2JGJ7i5kg

Awesome news about the double album from Neil and CH.

The man is SO prolific, I mean it's been less than a year since the last record.

I agree with you! Here we are 42 years since the release of AFTGR and look at Neil's vast musical library. He's never predictable, yet is always relevant and keeps on making great music for his fans. Here is one more from AFTGR I always thought deserved more airplay. Missy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVarkBgbbhw