Neil Young

freshmint

Often derided among the Zep faithful, but I love this clip.

Neil is out of control, but not really takng the spotlight. Jason is just bashing the drums! Robert shows what a professional he is as he straps on his guitar, starts singing, and realizes his tech is touching him, trying to set the guitar. Robert misses not a note! And the excellent piece of "For What It's Worth" that Robert adds in....

Really an excellent piece. Nice and grungy too!

Neil Young and Crazy Horse

'Psychedelic Pill' to hit shelves on October 30

By Rolling Stone

September 11, 2012 11:25 AM ET

20120911-nych-pp-306x306-1347376767.jpgClick to Enlarge

Neil Young performs with Crazy Horse.

Warner Bros. Records

Neil Young and Crazy Horse have given Psychedelic Pill, their second album of 2012, an official release date of October 30th.

With a handful of tracks passing the 15-minute barrier, and opener "Driftin' Back" clocking in at a whopping 27 minutes and 36 seconds, the followup to their folk covers record Americana will be available in double-CD and triple-LP formats. Check out the full tracklist below.

"It's us jamming and having lots of fun," Crazy Horse guitarist Frank "Poncho" Sampedro told Rolling Stone earlier this summer. "I think that [former Crazy Horse producer] David Briggs would be proud of it . . . Once he was gone, I felt like we lost our compass a bit. We had the sound and we had the big machine, and we could play anything and play pretty good, but we weren't putting any great records together. I mean, Broken Arrow was OK. It wasn't like Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere or Rust Never Sleeps or Ragged Glory."

Produced by Neil Young with John Hanlon and Mark Humphreys, Psychedelic Pill is the first album of original material by the full line-up of Neil Young and Crazy Horse since Broken Arrow in 1996 – though the band (minus Poncho) did back Young on his 2003 rock opera Greendale.

The band resumes their 2012 tour on October 3rd in Windsor, Ontario. It wraps up December 4th in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Track list:

Disc One:

1) Driftin' Back (27:36)

2) Psychedelic Pill (3:26)

3) Ramada Inn (16:49)

4) Born in Ontario (3:49)

Disc Two:

1) Twisted Road (3:28)

2) She's Always Dancing (8:33)

3) For the Love of Man (4:13)

4) Walk Like a Giant (16:27)

Bonus Track:

5) Psychedelic Pill (Alternate Mix)

Edited by The Pagemeister

Neil Young and Crazy Horse

'Psychedelic Pill' to hit shelves on October 30

By Rolling Stone

September 11, 2012 11:25 AM ET

20120911-nych-pp-306x306-1347376767.jpgClick to Enlarge

Neil Young performs with Crazy Horse.

Warner Bros. Records

Neil Young and Crazy Horse have given Psychedelic Pill, their second album of 2012, an official release date of October 30th.

With a handful of tracks passing the 15-minute barrier, and opener "Driftin' Back" clocking in at a whopping 27 minutes and 36 seconds, the followup to their folk covers record Americana will be available in double-CD and triple-LP formats. Check out the full tracklist below.

"It's us jamming and having lots of fun," Crazy Horse guitarist Frank "Poncho" Sampedro told Rolling Stone earlier this summer. "I think that [former Crazy Horse producer] David Briggs would be proud of it . . . Once he was gone, I felt like we lost our compass a bit. We had the sound and we had the big machine, and we could play anything and play pretty good, but we weren't putting any great records together. I mean, Broken Arrow was OK. It wasn't like Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere or Rust Never Sleeps or Ragged Glory."

Produced by Neil Young with John Hanlon and Mark Humphreys, Psychedelic Pill is the first album of original material by the full line-up of Neil Young and Crazy Horse since Broken Arrow in 1996 – though the band (minus Poncho) did back Young on his 2003 rock opera Greendale.

The band resumes their 2012 tour on October 3rd in Windsor, Ontario. It wraps up December 4th in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Track list:

Disc One:

1) Driftin' Back (27:36)

2) Psychedelic Pill (3:26)

3) Ramada Inn (16:49)

4) Born in Ontario (3:49)

Disc Two:

1) Twisted Road (3:28)

2) She's Always Dancing (8:33)

3) For the Love of Man (4:13)

4) Walk Like a Giant (16:27)

Bonus Track:

5) Psychedelic Pill (Alternate Mix)

Edited by The Pagemeister

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Neil & Crazy Horse is about to hit the stage at the Global Citizen fest.........

Set list :

1. Love And Only Love

2. Powderfinger

3. Walk Like a Giant

4. The Needle and the Damage Done

5. Twisted Road

6. Fuckin' Up

7. Rockin in the Free World w/ The Foo Fighters, & The Black Keys

Edited by zepscoda

I just finished reading Neil's autobiography, "Waging Heavy Peace." Thought I'd give a review for any Neil fans that might be sitting on the fence.

It's a super easy read due to the layout. There are 497 pages split into 68 short chapters. Some are as short as a couple of pages and rarely do they exceed 7 or 8 pages. Neil does not write this in the typical fashion with a chronological journey of his life. He skips around all over the place. Somehow it works though. I believe that is due to the brevity of the chapters and his conversational writing style. It's casual. Often he will say something that came to his mind unrelated to the topic at hand, but he will throw it in the book anyway. You will definitely know this is his work, no ghost writer here.

Some of the material will be familiar if you have read about Neil Young in other books. However, you will get some great personal insights from him that I'm not aware have been published before. He writes of things near and dear to him. His family, his close friends (many of whom have passed on), his love of trains and cars, PONO, his past relationships with his former wives, CSN, and of course the music! You'll read about his first time playing to his current run with Crazy Horse. Neil also discloses what music is coming to Archives 2 and upcoming film and CD releases from the past (Human Highway and Homegrown).

There are quite a few pictures that usually face the opening of those 68 chapters. They are normal photograph size and black and white. Many I had never seen before. There are also some interesting scanned documents, such as his Dad's famous spaghetti recipe, all the notes for the Rust Never Sleeps concert, and the original handwritten notes creating the song Cinnamon Girl.

My only disappointment was he skimmed a lot of his albums, bypassing discussion on some completely. I found myself wishing he would have covered Hawks and Doves or Zuma in some depth. But then again, he does have an output of over 40 albums last I checked!

4.5 out of 5 stars and Highly Recommended!* :)

*One of many neat things Neil wrote was how he had found a video on You/Tube recently of his bandmates playing before they were the Rockets, or Crazy Horse. They were known as Danny and the Memories. He wrote this video "is truly the shit." In particular, he thought Danny Whitten's "presence on that performance is elevating!". He stated he had "looked at it maybe twenty times in a row" and could watch it "over and over." The song is Land of a Thousand Dances and I hope this is the right one as it is the only one I could find based on Neil's information. Check it out to see Danny Whitten, Ralph Molina, Billy Talbot (and a 4th singer) from a different time.

A Rust Trilogy

October 3, 2012

The third episode of A Rust Trilogy, which began with Rust Never Sleeps in 1978, and continued with Weld in 1990, now concludes with Alchemy in 2012.

Things have changed, yet they stay the same. Alchemy, like Rust and Weld, finds the boys at another stage of life's journey. Time has taken its toll, yet the spirit seems unstoppable.

We've long regarded the Rust Never Sleeps tour as the pinnacle -- not withstanding it was the only time we ever heard Neil play "Thrasher" live on acoustic. So RNS will always have its special place.

And when the Weld tour happened in 1990/1, we were thrilled to see those old stage props like big roadcases, that we thought we'd never see again.

And deja vu all over again.

alchemystagesetup2012.jpg

The 2012 Neil Young & Crazy Horse now is The Alchemy Tour and revisits familiar themes and new songs. Our take on "alchemy" is that it's a turn on the phrase "rust". Turning either from or to rust -- literally or artistically.

Thrashers Wheat.

http://www.neilyoung.com/news/

alchemyk.jpg

Edited by Reggie29

Thanks Missy for your thoughts on "Waging Heavy Peace". Autobiographies are always a mixed bag...you never know how honest the author will be. Neil's is more in the line of Dylan's "Chronicles Vol. 1", with the hopscotching in time and even in the hopes that another volume will be forthcoming.

My friend tried to book Neil for his bookshop but no luck. I suggest any Neil fans to also read Jimmy McDonough's "Shakey", if you haven't already.

How big of a Neil fan am I...and how much am I looking forward to this "Alchemy" tour? While most of you will be at the theatres Oct. 17 watching the "Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day" movie, I will be at the Hollywood Bowl watching Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

With no regrets.

Thanks Missy for your thoughts on "Waging Heavy Peace". Autobiographies are always a mixed bag...you never know how honest the author will be. Neil's is more in the line of Dylan's "Chronicles Vol. 1", with the hopscotching in time and even in the hopes that another volume will be forthcoming.

My friend tried to book Neil for his bookshop but no luck. I suggest any Neil fans to also read Jimmy McDonough's "Shakey", if you haven't already.

How big of a Neil fan am I...and how much am I looking forward to this "Alchemy" tour? While most of you will be at the theatres Oct. 17 watching the "Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day" movie, I will be at the Hollywood Bowl watching Neil Young and Crazy Horse.

With no regrets.

Thanks for the tip on the book Shakey, Strider. I haven't read that one yet, but have another excellent one, "Neil Young" (by Johnny Rogan) I'm currently working through. It was published in the UK and out of print and it may be the definitive biography (imo) for a thoroughly researched history of Neil Young and his music (including in depth information on every album up through 2000). Highly Recommended!

How fantastic you will be seeing Neil and Crazy Horse on the 17th. I know you are expecting a great show, but now that Neil has modified the show into the "Alchemy" Tour, were you expecting this? I couldn't believe he is including my favorite song. Check it out from last week October 3rd, 2012 Windsor Ontario (audience recording, but a good one).

D*mn, Neil Young will never be an Old Man (pun intended!). :) Missy.

Edited by missytootsweet

^^^

That would be KILLER if he played that at the Bowl, Missy! Anytime you get "Cortez the Killer" in the setlist is a win! It's long been one of the highlights of any Neil Young & Crazy Horse concert since I first saw them in 1976.

The Who have faded. The Rolling Stones have faded. Joni Mitchell has retired. Others have died or become laughing-stocks on the nostalgia circuit. Even Bob Dylan has faded(I find the last few albums of his annoyingly self-consciously retro...plus his voice is shot).

Neil Young, though, is still going strong. Still making vital music. Still following his muse. Only Robert Plant is in Neil Young's class when you're talking about the rockers from the 60s who are still creatively relevant today.

I'll have to think hard to come up with another...possibly Lou Reed?

Strider, I agree with you completely on your comments above. I'm not very objective with respect to Neil's voice, but honestly if I turn away and listen to the audio only on the 2012 Cortez live...it's very close to 1979 on the Live Rust Tour! Or is it me? There is a thread somewhere here talking about Robert Plant's lower vocals at the O2. Robert Plant may not be able to get all the high notes these days, but he sounds freakin' great to these old retro ears.

I know very little about Lou Reed :o. I'll have to give him a You/Tube spin.

One more I'll mention for retaining their vocals...get ready, The Eagles. Both Glenn Frey and Don Henley surprised me with how similar they sound live in 2012 as they did in their prime. I know not your favorite band, but wonder if you agree? Of course I'm only comparing vocals here, The Eagles have nothing on Robert or Neil when it comes to a never ending journey of creativity and relevancy with their music! :)

Edited by missytootsweet

With no regrets.

We need your review of the show!!! I have seen one or two reviews online, but waiting to hear your thoughts!

^^^Wait no more.

Here's the setlist for the October 17 concert at the Hollywood Bowl.

1. Love and Only Love

2. Powderfinger

3. Born In Ontario

4. Walk Like a Giant

5. The Needle and the Damage Done

6. Twisted Road

7. Singer Without a Song

8. Ramada Inn

9. Cinnamon Girl

10. Fuckin' Up

11. Psychedelic Pill

12. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

Encore:

13. Mr. Soul

I got to the Neil concert during "Walk Like Giant". There were two opening bands that I missed, Los Lobos and I forget who the first band was.

After getting messages and calls all day from people who were going to see "Celebration Day" that Wednesday, I finally couldn't take the feeling that I was missing out. So figuring that with two opening bands that Neil probably wouldn't go on until after 9 or so, I took a calculated risk that I could see the first screening of "Celebration Day" at Universal Citywalk and still make it to the Hollywood Bowl in time to catch the majority of Neil's set. One factor in my favour was that the Universal subway stop is only a few minutes from the Hollywood/Highland stop.

As soon as the end credits began rolling on "Celebration Day, I bolted from the theatre and ran to the shuttle that takes you down the hill. A few minutes later I was down the hill and on the subway. A few minutes after that I was at Hollywood & Highland. A 10 minute walk up Highland and I was at the Bowl.

Neil and the Horse were playing so loud I could hear them before I got to the Bowl itself. Definitely no loudness issues here, haha!

My seats were kind of crappy, as I didn't have $300 to spend on the good seats up front. I was way back in Section T, so Neil and Frank and Ralph and Billy looked pretty tiny. Fortunately they brought the giant amp and mic props they started using in the 70s. Which only made Neil and the boys more mice-like on stage. Didn't notice any Jawa roadies...instead they looked like Caltrans workers.

It was interesting that I noticed a similar band formation to the one I had just witnessed on screen watching "Celebration Day"...i.e. all of them facing each other in a tight circle around the drumkit, jamming.

And jamming and jamming and jamming. Many of the songs were stretched out with long guitar solos or codas of squelching feedback. It was fantastic.

Though they didn't do the new song that's 27 minutes on the "Psychedelic Pill" album, there were several that went on for 20 minutes or so. I was hoping they might do a song or two from the "Americana" album, but there was nary a mention of that record. It was like it didn't exist. I was also bummed when I found out I had missed "Powderfinger". But the two big disappointments for me regarding the setlist was the lack of "Cortez the Killer" and "Thrasher"...especially after seeing that he had played "Thrasher" at earlier shows on the tour.

Amid all the guitar hurricane frenzy it was special to get a nice acoustic classic like "Needle" and one I didn't recognize, "Singer Without a Song".

Of course, you either love Neil's voice or you don't...there doesn't seem to be any middle ground with people. Count me as one who loves his singing and even at his age, he still retains that youthful quavery quality.

The thing most people come to a Neil Young & Crazy Horse show for, however, is the guitar buzz from Neil and Frank. In that regard, this show did not disappoint. There was plenty of loud guitar to shatter your skull, with Mr. Young grinding away on his trusty "Old Black", and Frank aiding and abetting and egging him on.

It would have been even better had I been up close to feel the gale force coming from his amps.

Just as the movie rushed by in the blink of an eye, so too did the two hours plus that Neil played disappear in a flash. Only one encore...the Buffalo Springfield classic "Mr. Soul", which I think he played at the Bowl in the 60s.

All in all, a damn good Neil Young concert...not perfect, and not as good as the Rust Never Sleeps or Ragged Glory shows, but still one of the best bands around. Neil Young is great in just about any format; but he's just a different beast when he hooks up with Crazy Horse. He enters a different dimension.

There's already some decent clips from the show on YouTube. So if you're trying to decide whether to see him when he comes to your town, have a listen. This first clip is the song he was playing when I finally got to the Bowl, "Walk Like a Giant".

Needle and the Damage Done:

An unreleased song..."Singer Without a Song":

There's already some decent clips from the show on YouTube. So if you're trying to decide whether to see him when he comes to your town, have a listen.

I am, and I thank you for this. Food for thought. With only so much time and money, I need to choose between this and another.

Edited by jb126

I saw the show in the Pittsburgh last week. Same set I think except encore was Like a Hurricane (12 minutes). It was loud. My ears were ringing for two days. Highlights for me were Powderfinger, Walks like a Giant, Needle and the Damage Done. I am looking forward to the album. 12 songs in two hours, my only complaint was the feedback guitar stomps after Walks like a Giant went on too long. Saw Celebration Day this week and I had the same thought. How tight and intune with each other they seemed to be. What a good time they were having. And boy these old dudes can rock!

I love Neils voice and he sounded great. Very funny man too, some of his comments were hilarious.

I think it was in the encore that a keyboard "dressed" like a psychedelic angel came down from the ceiling. It was like the stonehenge scene from Spinal Tap. Frank was having a hard time playing it because it was swaying around suspended from cables.

I thought it was a great show.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/music-reviews/concert-review-neil-young-and-crazy-horse-rock-like-a-hurricane-656941/