Virginia,

LMAO...well, tell your husband to be prepared. "Whole Lotta Love" was the first encore of the O2 gig! I'll go ya one better.....I'll give you a money back guarantee. If not fully delighted with the DVD, I will buy it from you. As much as you have delved in to the band in preparation for your painting, I'm sure you'll enjoy the show. Besides, I have no doubt I'll wear out the copy I plan to buy!

One final note. If you do get the DVD, keep an eye out for a small American flag waving along the front row just between where Robert and Jimmy are standing in between the last three songs. That would be me representing .......

Money back guarantee? Sweet!

After decades of being oblivious to the band, suddenly references seem to be everywhere. Case in point, last night I'm pecking away on the laptop, my spouse turns on the tv and I hear Mr Page, on what turned out to be a fascinating Palladia program, It Might Get Loud.

I got him to TIVO the whole thing so I can review it at my leisure, sans commercials. Now if there were only similar documentary/reminiscences with Jones and Plant.

Money back guarantee? Sweet!

After decades of being oblivious to the band, suddenly references seem to be everywhere. Case in point, last night I'm pecking away on the laptop, my spouse turns on the tv and I hear Mr Page, on what turned out to be a fascinating Palladia program, It Might Get Loud.

I got him to TIVO the whole thing so I can review it at my leisure, sans commercials. Now if there were only similar documentary/reminiscences with Jones and Plant.

IMGL was great! perhaps you haven't seen the unledded dvd? you MUST get that! i love it so much, and there is an interview with robert and jimmy on it, too.

Thanks! Unledded sounds like it's exactly my cup of tea. I've seen references to it here and there, but unlike early performances and random clips like a concert by Plant in Dubhai, I saw no glimpse of it on Youtube. I'll look for it on Amazon, unless there's a better source you recommend.

Struggling through When Giants Walked the Earth. Gah. Hate those fictionalized inner soliloquies. Makes me appreciate something like IMGL all the more.

Thanks! Unledded sounds like it's exactly my cup of tea. I've seen references to it here and there, but unlike early performances and random clips like a concert by Plant in Dubhai, I saw no glimpse of it on Youtube. I'll look for it on Amazon, unless there's a better source you recommend.

Struggling through When Giants Walked the Earth. Gah. Hate those fictionalized inner soliloquies. Makes me appreciate something like IMGL all the more.

you should be able to pick up a copy of it at any good music store.

i love the versions of the songs on unledded. the rain song will melt you, four sticks will have you on the edge of your seat, and kashmir will take you, well, there ....

A copy of No Quarter is on its way to me. Looking forward to it.

Following along reading the comments about the press conference. People are certainly very passionate here. I watched some of it and listened to all of it while I was painting yesterday.

As a former journalist, and having been thrown into the scrum of a celebrity press conference, I have sympathy for the devils.

The marching orders given an (ethical) journalist are in direct conflict with the jobs of PR flacks. It's a cat meets dog situation. The writers are dispatched to bring back copy that their bosses think is of the most interest (aka, will sell the most) to their targeted readers. Thus the focus of the questions asked depend upon the outlet - music mag, international news, local paper, etc.. Who gets called on to ask these questions is decided by the PR guys, and chosen for 1. greatest potential media exposure 2. positive slant towards the client 3. favors owed.

The flack's mandate is to provide a buffer for the client, and limit client responses to safe and preferably canned self promotion, while obtaining the widest exposure.

If there is a free press, you can't tell them what to ask, but they know if they piss off the PR folks/client they will be ignored or deflected, and next time around they'll be shut out. If they don't ask what their editors want to know, they lose their jobs.

A really good question is open-ended and fresh. One that engages the celebrity and provokes an interesting response, ideally with new information, without being offensive. I can tell you, that when you are in a packed house, given the opportunity for a single question to what amounts to a committee to answer, it's hard to come up with something that will accomplish that. You're stuck with a kind of 'Hail Mary pass' moment.

From my perspective, the PR guys did a very credible job. They maintained control and the questions, while not what people with the breadth of knowledge might prefer, were decent while being respectful, almost worshipful. Jones, Plant, and Page acquitted themselves well, with dry wit and self-deprecating humor.

Edited by VirginiaParker

Someone emailed me this question "How did you manage to get the job as maiden in the film 'The Song Remains the Same'? and I thought the answer might fit in here.

I was called in to the offices of Models One, my modeling agency in London for a go-see 3pm on July 15. I'd been working abroad for three years by then, doing editorials for Vogue and lots of ads for makeup and hair products, so I wasn't an unknown in that respect. It wasn't a cattle call, where hallways and rooms were packed with hopefuls. I showed up at the appointed time, handed over my portfolio to be looked over, left after a brief meet and greet with April and Josie (the two agency owners) and the director. My brief note in my journal is this:

"The director's (looking for) a surrealistic, archetype woman. Love. Princess to be won."

I expect all the photos in my portfolio of me with golden ringlets looking dreamy and virginal were the main selling point.

I gave it no more thought, since I did go-sees every day and couldn't predict which jobs I'd get. My attitude was generally very que sera sera. Also I was on an extended journey the month of August, driving from St Tropez to Marbella to Tangiers, then looping around Morocco.

A couple of weeks after I returned to London, on September 16, I got the word I'd been cast. I was driven to Mr Clifton's offices to meet Mr Plant. Looking back, Plant might have taken a liking to me because I was an American hippie. I'll never know.

I wrote in my journal that he was not what I expected at all. A tall, well-built man, neither slight nor consumptive, which was the fashion with English musicians then. He looked prosperous, as though he lived well, and was much younger than I expected.

What I remember of that first meeting is really a single, sharp moment. Plant was standing on the stairs as I was leaving. He had that larger-than-life, charismatic glow. He didn't blend into the environment at all. He kept tossing his hair back from his face in what seemed an unconscious, habitual gesture, and that fascinated me. It was so unlike other men I knew, both the rougher sort and the wealthy, powerful conservatives. He was singular.

September 17 I was packing for a stay in a country house - a Downton Abbey sort of place, so I was excited about that - when suddenly I was picked up and driven to Wales instead. September 18 was spent on wardrobe fittings, hair and makeup. September 19, they shot the fight, Plant coming up the staircase, and the princess scene.

Et voila.

What I remember of that first meeting is really a single, sharp moment. Plant was standing on the stairs as I was leaving. He had that larger-than-life, charismatic glow. He didn't blend into the environment at all. He kept tossing his hair back from his face in what seemed an unconscious, habitual gesture, and that fascinated me. It was so unlike other men I knew, both the rougher sort and the wealthy, powerful conservatives. He was singular.

Loved this little snippet from the memory banks (and if there was any reason for folks to keep journals, your stories would be a definite inspiration).

Thanks for sharing!

Well, my stars. I did not know until this day that I was supposed to be Guinevere.

"Guinevere's adbuction by men is a recurring theme throughout Arthurian legend, and when kidnapped, she must be saved - the epitome of the damsel in distress." I suppose that makes Plant's character Lancelot. The question would be is he rescuing her from imprisonment by Sir Meliagrance, seduction by nephew Modred, or from being burned at the stake by Arthur.

It's good to be the damsel. In distress, not so much.

definitely got the Arthurian connotations VirginiaParker and your character was the topic of more than one conversation on the drive home from the midnight showing of TSRTS during the early '80s.

topics ranged from King's Daughter, to Plant's sister to things a bit more seedy

A damsel in a dress is another option!

Okay, now that's funny.

This just tickles me. I've gotten the impression that he's somewhat embarrassed about the film in general and the fantasy sequences in particular.

Sounds like he was throwing out a humorous non-sequitur remark, a good way to deflect the topic.

It worked, too.

This just tickles me. I've gotten the impression that he's somewhat embarrassed about the film in general and the fantasy sequences in particular.

"...and Plant denouncing it [TSRTS] as 'a load of bollocks.' "

Edited by Taro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I remember seeing The Song Remains The Same for the first time when I was fourteen in 1983. As soon as the Princess appeared, I said to my friend, she is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. Through the years and numerous viewings, I also wondered who she was and what ever became of her. I just want to say thanks to Virginia for posting here and being such a beautiful soul. I am glad that you have a great career and wonderful family. God Bless!