Pontiac, MI - Pontiac Silverdome April 30, 1977

DavidZoso

Great pictures of the Silverdome. Now the Silverdome isn't even used for concerts or anything cool really. I think the WNBA plays there and monster truck rallies are big deals there. Why was Jimmy so skinny in these pictures? I think it starts with the letter H.

Great pictures of the Silverdome. Now the Silverdome isn't even used for concerts or anything cool really. I think the WNBA plays there and monster truck rallies are big deals there. Why was Jimmy so skinny in these pictures? I think it starts with the letter H.

Yep... it sure does start with an H. Man Heroine is a motherf**ker!!

What's weird is Jimmy's fashion sense was at its coolest with the white dragon suit and his aviator sunglasses, but man he looked like a skeleton. I truly believe that if Zeppelin didn't break up when it did, Page most certainly would've died.

On another note, I really wish the Pontiac gig was filmed, hopefully it exists and will come out one day.

Edited by taker328

Yep... it sure does start with an H. Man Heroine is a motherf**ker!!

What's weird is Jimmy's fashion sense was at its coolest with the white dragon suit and his aviator sunglasses, but man he looked like a skeleton. I truly believe that if Zeppelin didn't break up when it did, Page most certainly would've died.

On another note, I really wish the Pontiac gig was filmed, hopefully it exists and will come out one day.

Totally agreed about the poppy suit and sunglasses, badass mofo. The concert was filmed, there's no doubting that. Whether or not the footage still exists is another thing altogether, it would be a travesty if it didn't!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It has been a while, and as I was going through some of my saved items from years ago, I came upon these snapshots, and one 8x10, that were given to me in trade for some of my Louisville '77 pix, by a Ms. Peggy Morris.

I have long since lost contact with her, but thought I'd share them here. I've put the copyright watermark on the images, so as to prevent any ill-will, should she not have wanted the images put out there, without full consent.......so, Peggy, if you're out there somewhere, drop a line and say hello :)

Not having had much time to do the detective work, as I have been very busy with my other concert photos this year, I cannot help but notice that the picture of Jimmy Page playing the mandolin, looks very much like the same angle for the acoustic shots in the first series shown?!! But, these others don't seem to be so close, angle-wise, so any info would be appreciated.

Again, I hope that Ms. Morris doesn't mind me sharing these, but they should be seen, I feel.....very little editing was done, btw:post-20314-0-10984300-1353828085_thumb.j

I was there! My goodness this brings back memories...yep memories of them being almost 3 hours late and terrible sound (but all the concerts I saw there were pretty terrible because of the echo and feedback from the roof). I would not have changed a thing though and not gone, it was truly an awesome experience for me at 17. The tickets were $8 I think for the show. I can't believe how much people pay for concerts now. I grew up just a few miles from the Silverdome (went to Avondale High school) and watched in awe as it was built...too bad It's not being used as it should be now.

I was there! My goodness this brings back memories...yep memories of them being almost 3 hours late and terrible sound (but all the concerts I saw there were pretty terrible because of the echo and feedback from the roof). I would not have changed a thing though and not gone, it was truly an awesome experience for me at 17. The tickets were $8 I think for the show. I can't believe how much people pay for concerts now. I grew up just a few miles from the Silverdome (went to Avondale High school) and watched in awe as it was built...too bad It's not being used as it should be now.

Hello thoms_here, welcome to the board. I wasn't there, but have learned they declined the option of helicopter transport from the airport and took a chartered bus instead, arriving at the venue at 9:10pm. They went onstage at 9:30pm and played until nearly 1am, to include a second three minute encore. So they went onstage about 90 minutes late, but perhaps three hours after the doors were opened to the public. Tickets were $9.00 plus an additional $1.50 service fee.

You can share your experience with the world on the official timeline too:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/node/779/9867

Do you remember seeing any cameras around the stage or the video screen in action?

Edited by Geezer

• 1 month later...

I was at that concert....we got there at noon...we knew there was going to be a large crowd...when we went to leave we were boxed in for close to four hours before we could even move our car...I missed my curfew and was grounded...I was 14....it was so worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

This was the 17th show of the 1977 US tour and the last show of the 1st leg of the tour. The audience of 77,229 at the this show was the largest audience for a single-act concert. The previous record was 56,800 set in May 1973 at a Zeppelin show in Tampa Bay. This show was also videotaped (you can see cameramen in several of the photos filiming the action)and the images were shown on a large video screen above the stage. All these years later Zeppelin fans are waiting for this Holy Grail to surface.

Setlist:

The Song Remains The Same

Sick Again

Nobody's Fault But Mine

In My Time of Dying

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

The Battle of Evermore

Going to California

Black Country Woman

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp