Robert Plant's nickname-- Percy?

When and why did Robert Plant's nickname, "Percy," come about? I've always been curious...

Back in the '70's there was a British movie starring Hywell Bennett called Percy which was about a bloke who had a chandelier fall on him and after the injuries he sustained needed a penis transplant.

When a photo of Robert appeared in a magazine which focused on his tight jeans particularly the nether region, the caption read, "Robert "Percy" Plant."

The nickname stuck.

When and why did Robert Plant's nickname, "Percy," come about? I've always been curious...

Over here in England there used to be a famous TV gardener called Percy Thrower and I recall reading somewhere the nick name derived from an in joke amoung the band about watching our own Plant grow and develop.I would think because of this the name came about earlier on in Zeppelins career as grow and develop he did and as we all know he "blossomed" in to a golden God.Hope this answer is helpful to you.

Regards

I love threads like this (I can't believe it's being discussed - you must have known). Thank you so much; I'm grinning from ear to ear. :D

Ps. I'm not taking the mick, my friend. I'm genuinely grinning.

I love threads like this (I can't believe it's being discussed - you must have known). Thank you so much; I'm grinning from ear to ear. :D

Ps. I'm not taking the mick, my friend. I'm genuinely grinning.

Same here! Maybe there should be a thread "All the things you wanted to know about Led Zeppelin, byt were afraid to ask..." :D

Same here! Maybe there should be a thread "All the things you wanted to know about Led Zeppelin, byt were afraid to ask..." :D

I somewhat agree about that, however, (as the saying goes), "be careful what you wish for". I have posted topics and replies along the same lines and have been mocked, ridiculed, disparaged, denigrated, demeaned, etc... And you know what? None of those who did or say or call me bad names affected me in the least. I say "Fuck 'Em All". If you say such thing about me or to me, then I have every right to defend myself and my opinions. To me, they are empty and shallow words from empty and shallow and anonymous people. Too many to publicly call out. They should all know who they are.

Back on topic, I have to agree with the Percy Thrower explanation. I have read the same. Supposedly, all of Led Zeppelin were watching the telly after a gig and the only thing on was this Percy Thrower gardening show. I believe it was Jonesy who said (paraphrasing) "that we all watch Plant grow too". Since then the nickname stuck.

Of course, I do not claim to be an "expert" on all things Led Zeppelin, like some here do, so I may be wrong. However, I have read this from a couple of different sources (books).

Okay, so he's nicknamed that because of what was always apparent when he wore those tight pants?

Ahhh... okay wink.gif

I think that was the photo with the caption and it was in an American magazine, either Circus or Creem in 1975.

It seems the photographers always concentated on that particular area or maybe and coincidentally it was just the angle of the shot!?

The other example is also credible it's just that is where I saw or heard about it first as at that point in time no-one had written any books about the band.

They were lucky to get anything outside of magazine exposure thanks to the mainstream media and some sectiosn of the music press who were less than favourable toward them.

I find it annoying when a poster (who has an axe to grind), asks a question or doesn't like the response then has a whinge about people disagreeing with him on other threads and resorts to insulting people themself, just get yourself a cup of harden the fuck up.

Or better still lighten up.

Anyone know when the nickname came about?

I always thought that that this name was a reference to his member. Pretty funny. Wonder who gave him the name?

I don't know where or when the nickname came about. I don't know anyone who actually used the nickname Percy when referring to Robert. It seems that we heard it somewhere, sometime, and just knew it referred to Robert. I have friends who still refer to him as Planty (although they'd never call him that to his face)...it's a just-between-friends reference (like Pagey). I have a close friend who knew Robert a long, long time ago and, when I talk to her, she refers to him as Robert Anthony - hearing her say Robert Anthony the way she says it always makes my heart flutter.

Probably the first I remember hearing Robert referred to as "Percy" was in a Circus or Creem magazine article bach in the early 80's, when I first started getting into Zep. That was the sole reason I was getting those mags.

I don't know where or when the nickname came about. I don't know anyone who actually used the nickname Percy when referring to Robert. It seems that we heard it somewhere, sometime, and just knew it referred to Robert. I have friends who still refer to him as Planty (although they'd never call him that to his face)...it's a just-between-friends reference (like Pagey). I have a close friend who knew Robert a long, long time ago and, when I talk to her, she refers to him as Robert Anthony - hearing her say Robert Anthony the way she says it always makes my heart flutter.

I completely agree with you-- it makes sense.

Ah! I can imagine why it would make your heart flutter! Just reading that made mine! I bet she has some stories... anything you want to share? ; )

Hell! All these years I thought Richard Cole got credit for nicknaming Plant, "Percy".

The more I think I know about Led Zeppelin, is actually far less than it really is.

That's a very good idea, DM! :D

Honestly there are some things I am rather curious about as far as Zep is concerned. For instance, in the song "Thank You", who sang the lines "Little drops of rain whisper of the pain, tears of loves lost in the days gone by. My love is strong, with you there is no wrong, together we shall go until we die"? Why I ask is because, I'm 100% sure that it is not Robert who sang those lines! But as far as possible, I don't post my questions here on this forum because I am a bit nervous that it might be deemed as "incredibly silly"! :blush:

That's a very good idea, DM! :D

Honestly there are some things I am rather curious about as far as Zep is concerned. For instance, in the song "Thank You", who sang the lines "Little drops of rain whisper of the pain, tears of loves lost in the days gone by. My love is strong, with you there is no wrong, together we shall go until we die"? Why I ask is because, I'm 100% sure that it is not Robert who sang those lines! But as far as possible, I don't post my questions here on this forum because I am a bit nervous that it might be deemed as "incredibly silly"! :blush:

I'm guessing it was mostly John Paul Jones backing him up there. It sounds a lot like his voice

Probably the first I remember hearing Robert referred to as "Percy" was in a Circus or Creem magazine article bach in the early 80's, when I first started getting into Zep. That was the sole reason I was getting those mags.

I remember those magazines too, but from the late 60s-70s...and the old Hit Parader with Lisa Robinson...I might have first read it there, or I might have first heard it via word of mouth.

I completely agree with you-- it makes sense.

Ah! I can imagine why it would make your heart flutter! Just reading that made mine! I bet she has some stories... anything you want to share? ; )

No, no stories...she has a wonderful life now, no need for her to sell anyone out. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I somewhat agree about that, however, (as the saying goes), "be careful what you wish for". I have posted topics and replies along the same lines and have been mocked, ridiculed, disparaged, denigrated, demeaned, etc... And you know what? None of those who did or say or call me bad names affected me in the least. I say "Fuck 'Em All". If you say such thing about me or to me, then I have every right to defend myself and my opinions. To me, they are empty and shallow words from empty and shallow and anonymous people. Too many to publicly call out. They should all know who they are.

drama.jpg

Archived