JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

2zoxaa8.jpg

As one of my friends who was with me at these shows said today: "nice to see the master give a nod to three of the best shows we've ever seen." We always describe this run of shows as epic so we love that Jimmy chose to use this word in his description above. MSG was our favorite venue so it was nice to read that Jimmy described it as a "wonderful concert arena." Although we knew that filming was going on at the concerts and surrounding venues, we didn't realize then that what would emerge would be "The Song Remains the Same" - and those concerts would be called by some, not the "Houses concerts" (from the HOTH album) as we referred to them, but TSRTS shows.

Well, nice to be back indeed, especially for this "On This Day" gem, featuring one of Jimmy's dear friends, the rightfully acclaimed, yet under-appreciated Roy Harper.

Once again, we are treated to Jimmy's sheer love of music, artistry, and songwriting, and in this particular case how he conceives his role in texturing washes of electric light over Harper's deeply honest, searching and poignant lyrics. For a little context, David Gilmour had recorded this song on his first solo album in 1978, exposing it to a much larger audience than it had known before. It's a standout track on that album. Gilmour is also a pal of Harper, and on his 1984 About Face Tour, featured him on this very song, which you can view here:

http://youtu.be/ofqS2Az4Z7Y

In this next video Mr Harper, some ten years gone after this (i.e., around 1990), performs it solo, with a very revealing and meaningful introduction:

http://youtu.be/hiEEfSgzYyk

As for the guitar work, I feel assured it is Jimmy. Notice how he captures the same 'feel' as on Clarksdale's 'When I Was A Boy', or on No Quarter's 'Wonderful One'. Beautiful, haunting, yet always with a keen edge.

Thank you Jimmy for such luminous moments as these...

Funny, it's back on "robbery" for me too. I can assure you there was Stephen Stills at 7:00 on the dot though...

My Iphone still has the robbery.... even after emptying the cache and cookies.

But my laptop has the Stephen Stills story.

Who knows??

Peace!

1227.gif

My Iphone still has the robbery.... even after emptying the cache and cookies.

But my laptop has the Stephen Stills story.

Who knows??

Peace!

1227.gif

Everything is right in the world of Page for me now! :)

All browsers and platforms showing the Stills post.

Peace!

1227.gif

Archived