JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

What a fascinating look at JP's former studio - thanks, Stairway. Correct me if I'm wrong but this was previously owned by the great Gus Dudgeon, R.I.P.

The soundboard looks very complicated. The glass chandelier is a surprising feature, one doesn't usually see that in a studio.

UPDATE: That soundboard has been restored and is now at Thames Valley University:

http://www.audiocour...-print-476.html

Stuart Epps now owns The Sol. In this 2009 interview, he speaks about working w/ JP:

"Gus sold it to Jimmy Page in 1980 and then Jimmy wanted to keep me on at the studio. I wasn’t a big Zeppelin fan, I mean, I obviously liked them and I knew all about them. Jimmy was quite a strange person; I didn’t actually meet him for three months when I was working with him. It’s like working for Howard Hughes a bit, you know, he really was eccentric and a very strange guy, but I became his engineer and we recorded, we mixed, the last Zeppelin album. Then, because of his connection with heavy rock, I then started producing artists for Atlantic Records, which were Twisted Sister, Vandenberg ... that was all a very good period as well."

I came across more detail from Stuart Epps on his time working with JPP. The first is from an online magazine; the other is from the blog of a Brazilian group who were working with Stuart in Brazil. It is translated from Portuguese hence the stilted prose.

Source:-http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/apr94/chrisrea.html

GREMLINS

Over the years at The Mill, Epps has witnessed some outrageous examples of studio life, as befits the personae of many of the musical giants he has worked with."There were some strange happenings during the period when Jimmy Page owned the studio." [Page bought The Mill from Gus Dudgeon around 1979 and quickly turned it into a lucrative commercial business.] "I remember working with Paul Rodgers here. In the middle of one night, while we were asleep, Paul was woken by the sound of drums coming from Studio 2. He got up and investigated but there was no one there. Paul wasn't the only person to experience this weirdness. Black crows were also seen flying, kamikaze-style, into windows, and I actually saw the remains of one bird all over the outside of Studio 2's window one morning. Horrible! I suppose that may have had something to do with Jimmy's reported dabblings in the occult. Nothing like that ever happened again after he sold up. Things are very pleasant these days and it's an absolute pleasure to work here."

Source:- http://janicedoll.wordpress.com

Text free translation from: Correio Braziliense (19/10/2007)

Producer of names such as Led Zeppelin and Elton John records album of the Janice Doll band in Brasilia, Brazil

Stuart Epps talks about: Jimmy Page & Led Zeppelin

When I worked with Led, the band already was walking to the end. Jimmy purchased The Mill House studio, and I’d be the engineer. I wasn’t particularly fan of Led. Jimmy is shy, but he had a great strength, talent and great intelligence, beyond his musical ability. A band needs it. It is not enough to learn how to play. I was there for few weeks and Led would make a great tour on Europe and would have a rehearsal in that place. Soon after, John Bonham was found dead at Jimmy’s the house (on September 24, 1980), which was shocking. They decided to pay a tribute to John Bonham called Coda, which has become my first project with them. It was laborious because Jimmy is difficult, eccentric and other things that I can’t tell, but he is nice and loving.” (Stuart worked with Jimmy Page for four years, also in the band The Firm).

05/02/2012

02 May 1977

5277.jpg

..Tks AEN...The Word "Intense" says it all for the Mysterious Musician herein...

So far Jimmy acknowledged two visits to Cairo... First visit 2nd May, 1977 today; on 8th April 2004;

Mid Tour Break: Last Concert Pontiac Mich. April 30th, 1977....Resume Tour Birmingham May 18, 1977

http://www.ledzeppel...m/timeline/1977

Here is another visit discussed from 1977 in the Mystery Section Link: Page 74....

"mid-tour break from 6/28 thru 7/14, when everyone went

back to England, except for Jimmy and Mick Hinton who went to Cairo, Egypt. "

http://forums.ledzep...__1#entry287801

http://forums.ledzep.../page__st__2260

...I searched the This Day Archive herein/elsewhere, I don't recall this visit to Cairo ?

...apologies if I missed info...at this point just how many times has Page visited Cairo so far? Publicly at least...

tks...

They decided to pay a tribute to John Bonham called Coda, which has become my first project with them.

The band owed Atlantic Records an album to fulfull the terms of their recording contract and for that alone it was put together.

The band owed Atlantic Records an album to fulfull the terms of their recording contract and for that alone it was put together.

I had in fact quoted the interview with Mr Epps because of his repeated opinion that Jimmy was 'eccentric' and then, in the interview in Brasil, he goes on to describe him as 'difficult'. I wish that he had expanded on these sentiments in order to substantiate why he felt that way about his recording experience with JPP.

Here is another visit discussed from 1977 in the Mystery Section Link: Page 74....

...I searched the This Day Archive herein/elsewhere, I don't recall this visit to Cairo ?

...apologies if I missed info...at this point just how many times has Page visited Cairo so far? Publicly at least...

Jimmy has completed at least three visits to Cairo thus far:

I can tell you his first trip to Cairo was taken sometime between May 2-11 1977 while on mid-tour break and apparently it was just for four days. The passport stamps Jimmy recently shared for On This Day substantiates this. Prior to accessing the passport stamps we had to rely upon recollections which erroneously placed this trip during the mid-tour break from 6/28 thru 7/14.

I show a second confirmed trip to Cairo began and ended in March 1996. His return flight to Heathrow landed March 16, 1996.

April 8, 2004 he visited the Cairo Museum again on the centenary anniversary of Crowley's channelling from the Stele of Revealing.

I had in fact quoted the interview with Mr Epps because of his repeated opinion that Jimmy was 'eccentric' and then, in the interview in Brasil, he goes on to describe him as 'difficult'. I wish that he had expanded on these sentiments in order to substantiate why he felt that way about his recording experience with JPP.

I understand you were quoting Stuart Epps. I did not mean to infer otherwise. I imagine he found Jimmy to be difficult on that project simply because scraping enough material together for Coda was a pain in the ass and something he would otherwise not have done.

Then there's poor Robert being called upon to record vocals for that album in the midst of establishing his solo career.

I understand you were quoting Stuart Epps. I did not mean to infer otherwise. I imagine he found Jimmy to be difficult on that project simply because scraping enough material together for Coda was a pain in the ass and something he would otherwise not have done.

Then there's poor Robert being called upon to record vocals for that album in the midst of establishing his solo career.

Thanks saj for that. I think we also have to sadly take into account JP's 'health issues' at this time.

..Tks AEN...The Word "Intense" says it all for the Mysterious Musician herein...

So far Jimmy acknowledged two visits to Cairo... First visit 2nd May, 1977 today; on 8th April 2004;

Mid Tour Break: Last Concert Pontiac Mich. April 30th, 1977....Resume Tour Birmingham May 18, 1977

http://www.ledzeppel...m/timeline/1977

tks...

Thanks, Aen, for capturing Jimmy's OTD and for the photo from his book. I've saved his photo of the antique French postcard.

PlanetPage, I am very curious to know if Jimmy left Cairo and traveled to Luxor and the Valley of the Kings...and to the Queen Valley and Abu Simbel to visit the tombs and temples in those places. I can't remember if he's ever spoken about those places and what impressions they had on him. Surely he had to have traveled there, given his interests. I have an image in my mind of the Dark Lord walking slowly and quietly through the darkened temple studying the image of the Goddess Nut (Nuit) stretched across the ceiling, surrounded by the signs of the zodiac carved into the wall.

1hquyg.jpg

Jimmy has completed at least three visits to Cairo thus far:

I can tell you his first trip to Cairo was taken sometime between May 2-11 1977 while on mid-tour break and apparently it was just for four days. The passport stamps Jimmy recently shared for On This Day substantiates this. Prior to accessing the passport stamps we had to rely upon recollections which erroneously placed this trip during the mid-tour break from 6/28 thru 7/14.

I show a second confirmed trip to Cairo began and ended in March 1996. His return flight to Heathrow landed March 16, 1996.

April 8, 2004 he visited the Cairo Museum again on the centenary anniversary of Crowley's channelling from the Stele of Revealing.

Tks. Saj for the additional details '96 March; - Jimmy does not have passport confirmation in his Official Autobio, and similiarly none for April 8, 2004

However, on Page 371 of his Official Autio bio there is another confirmed visit to Egypt....Visa Stamp dated March 24, 1982 and subsequent travel airport arrival/departure stamps (not very clear for dates to stand out)...

I will scan later...

Thanks, Aen, for capturing Jimmy's OTD and for the photo from his book. I've saved his photo of the antique French postcard.

PlanetPage, I am very curious to know if Jimmy left Cairo and traveled to Luxor and the Valley of the Kings...and to the Queen Valley and Abu Simbel to visit the tombs and temples in those places. I can't remember if he's ever spoken about those places and what impressions they had on him. Surely he had to have traveled there, given his interests. I have an image in my mind of the Dark Lord walking slowly and quietly through the darkened temple studying the image of the Goddess Nut (Nuit) stretched across the ceiling, surrounded by the signs of the zodiac carved into the wall.

1hquyg.jpg

MSG, Jimmy remains quite short on words here, I looked through some mag interviews and books, no particular reference to details of Egypt...yet he visited so many times thereafter 1977...

I wonder if Passport Stamps possibly could reveal any travel details...

Tks. Saj for the additional details '96 March; - Jimmy does not have passport confirmation in his Official Autobio, and similiarly none for April 8, 2004

However, on Page 371 of his Official Autio bio there is another confirmed visit to Egypt....Visa Stamp dated March 24, 1982 and subsequent travel airport arrival/departure stamps (not very clear for dates to stand out)...

I will scan later...

Great eye for detail concerning a fourth visit to Egypt (in March 1982). Jimmy & Robert met with 'Tight But Loose' fanzine's Dave Lewis that same month to review photos for the 'CODA' sleeve. I'll ask Dave if he recalls Jimmy having mentioned anything about his travel intentions at the time. It could be that he hadn't gone just yet, or he may have recently returned from there and shared an anecdote or two.

I don't have passport stamps for his visit in March 1996, but I do have a personal candid photograph of him arriving at Heathrow from Cairo on March 16,1996. Jimmy's April 2004 visit to Cairo was confirmed by Kevin Shirley, who met with Jimmy in New York on April 11, 2004. I believe Jimmy himself eluded to visiting Cairo Museum on April 8, 2004 for the centennial celebration.

I will scan later...

egypt2.jpg

I wanted to say a heartfelt thanks to PlanetPage, Aen27, MadScreamingGallery, and SAJ for the contribution they make to this thread. They, and some others, are taking the basic facts provided in the OTD feature, and making it better through their contributions!!!

I wanted to say a heartfelt thanks to PlanetPage, Aen27, MadScreamingGallery, and SAJ for the contribution they make to this thread. They, and some others, are taking the basic facts provided in the OTD feature, and making it better through their contributions!!!

....and Kenog thanks you for posting very informative posts on this Forum...you are always up to date!!!

....here is link to all the additional photos...according to Richard Cole, the price tage of this party was $10,000 back then...

..."three bands were signed Bad Company, Maggie Bell, and Pretty things and was looking for other talent to bring into the company"...Richard Cole STH Page 231

http://dark-elf-page.piczo.com/?g=39741106&cr=3

.. no further details for the Late April Lawton/Ramatam to be present at the Party...perhaps as a guest appearance or possibly to sign...

Archived