"Last shows in the UK for some considerable time"

mckjuana

Sorry if this has been asked before, but on the 25th Earls Court recording (which I dont have imediately to hand so I cant quote word for word) RP states that these Earls Court shows would be the last in the UK for a considerable amount of time.

Based on the fact that he hadnt had the car crash yet and also that the EC gigs themselves had been the the first in a considerable amount of time (since early 73), can anyone advise why this was the case?

What were their original touring plans of 1975 and onwards, and why no planned return to the UK?

Does this link into their 1 year away in tax exile - which I seem to recall reading somewhere?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but on the 25th Earls Court recording (which I dont have imediately to hand so I cant quote word for word) RP states that these Earls Court shows would be the last in the UK for a considerable amount of time.

Based on the fact that he hadnt had the car crash yet and also that the EC gigs themselves had been the the first in a considerable amount of time (since early 73), can anyone advise why this was the case?

What were their original touring plans of 1975 and onwards, and why no planned return to the UK?

Does this link into their 1 year away in tax exile - which I seem to recall reading somewhere?

Maintaining tax exile status was directly responsible. In fact, the auto accident itself nearly jeapordized it when Robert briefly returned to England to receive medical treatment. He was flown back out of the country just in time. There were 33 North American dates planned for Aug/Sep '75 that were cancelled. Peter Grant also intended to have the band return to Scandanavia for a tour (only the Uusi Messuhalli in Helsinki, Finland on Nov 5th has been confirmed) and was also giving some level of consideration to touring South America. Of course, Robert's auto accident put an abrupt end to all such plans.

Maintaining tax exile status was directly responsible. In fact, the auto accident itself nearly jeapordized it when Robert briefly returned to England to receive medical treatment. He was flown back out of the country just in time. There were 33 North American dates planned for Aug/Sep '75 that were cancelled. Peter Grant also intended to have the band return to Scandanavia for a tour (only the Uusi Messuhalli in Helsinki, Finland on Nov 5th has been confirmed) and was also giving some level of consideration to touring South America. Of course, Robert's auto accident put an abrupt end to all such plans.

That would have been their first tour of South America. Unfortunately, it never happened.

Steve, would it be possible for you to provide a listing of those 33 canceled North American dates and venues if it's not too much trouble? Thanks! :)

thanks for the info. Makes sense. I'm just doing some cursory research about tax exile in the 70s and it appears that they weren't alone, due to some exorbitant tax rates. I found a blog about their time in Jersey and around that era which is fairly interesting, though obviously I cant vouch for accuracy.

http://ledzeppelinjersey.blogspot.com/

There's also reference to an amusing comment ar Earls Court about "If you see Dennis Healey, tell him we've gone" at one of the Earls Court gigs, which I missed, or it wasnt on my bootleg.

Steve, would it be possible for you to provide a listing of those 33 canceled North American dates and venues if it's not too much trouble? Thanks!

I wish I could but for me the full itinerary of 33 dates, cities and venues actually remains unconfirmed. I have substantiated/confirmed the following:

August 10-20 1975...roughly ten days of tour rehearsals planned to be held in France on August 10th onwards were cancelled (according to Jimmy)

August 23 1975 Oakland, CA Coliseum

August 24 1975 Oakland, CA Coliseum

September 6, 1975 Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl

and these cities presented here in no particular order...Kansas City...Louisville...New Orleans...Tempe...Denver...Tampa...Atlanta...Pittsburgh

-------------

Dennis Healey became Chancellor of the Exchequer in March 1974 after Labour's narrow election victory. His tenure is divided into Healey Mark I and Healey Mark II. The divide is marked by his decision, taken with Prime Minister James Callaghan, to seek an International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan and submit the British economy to the IMF supervision. The loan was negotiated and agreed in November and December 1976 and announced in Parliament on 15 December 1976. Within some parts of the Labour Party the transition from Healey Mark I (which had seen a proposal for a wealth tax) to Healey Mark II (associated with a government specified wage control) was regarded as betrayal. Healey's policy of increasing benefits for the poor meant those earning over £4,000 per year would be taxed more heavily.

I found a blog about their time in Jersey and around that era which is fairly interesting, though obviously I cant vouch for accuracy.

I'd say that blog is 99% accurate. The outrageous stories concerning Bonham and his Rolls Royce have been atttibuted to other locales and told in different ways, essentially becoming folklore. I've got to visit Devil's Hole and see that statue one day - way cool!

thanks for the info. Makes sense. I'm just doing some cursory research about tax exile in the 70s and it appears that they weren't alone, due to some exorbitant tax rates. I found a blog about their time in Jersey and around that era which is fairly interesting, though obviously I cant vouch for accuracy.

There's also reference to an amusing comment ar Earls Court about "If you see Dennis Healey, tell him we've gone" at one of the Earls Court gigs, which I missed, or it wasnt on my bootleg.

Great blog!

I also know that oneoff gig in early 1976 were planned but also cancelled due to the accident at the Rose Bowl, Psasadena, California on January 24th, 1976.

Here are the gigs that were cancelled, with dates and everything: (taken from the Led Zeppelin database):

AUGUST 23 - THE DAY ON THE GREEN, ALAMEDA COUNTY COLISEUM, OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA (cancelled due to Plant's car accident) (SATURDAY, START HAD BEEN PLANNING AT 10am)

Support from Joe Walsh and The Pretty Things. Both groups not performed.

AUGUST 24 - THE DAY ON THE GREEN, ALAMEDA COUNTY COLISEUM, OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA (cancelled due to Plant's car accident) (SUNDAY, START HAD BEEN PLANNING AT 10am)

Support from Joe Walsh and The Pretty Things. Both groups not performed.

AUGUST 27 - TEMPE STADIUM, TEMPE, ARIZONA (cancelled due to Plant's car accident) (WEDNESDAY)

Some reports saying Sun Devil Stadium.

AUGUST 29 - ARROWHEAD STADIUM, KANSAS CITY, KANSAS (cancelled due to Plant's car accident) (FRIDAY)

AUGUST 31 - FULTON COUNTY STADIUM, ATLANTA, GEORGIA (cancelled due to Plant's car accident) (SUNDAY)

SEPTEMBER 2 - KENTUCKY EXPOSITION AND FAIRGROUNDS STADIUM, LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY (cancelled due to Plant's car accident) (TUESDAY)

SEPTEMBER 6 - THE ROSE BOWL, PASADENA, CALIFORNIA (cancelled due to Plant's car accident) (SATURDAY)

SEPTEMBER 9 - LLOYD NOBLE CENTER, NORMAN, OKLAHOMA (cancelled due to Plant's car accident) (TUESDAY)

Other planning dates were also cancelled: Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City (Missouri); Louisville (Kentucky); Superdome, New Orleans (Louisiana); Folsom Field, University Of Colorado, Denver (most likely Boulder) (Colorado). There are some reports saying Tampa, Florida was also planned. All these dates were postponed indefinitely as well as planning trip to South America and Spring 1976 both U.K. and Europe tours.

And the final Europe date cancelled:

NOVEMBER 5 - UUSI MESSEHALII, HELSINKI, FINLAND (cancelled due to Plant's car accident) (WEDNESDAY)

Then, there was that December 10th concert with Plant in the wheelchair.

just a quick note

"tax exile status" is my middle name

created america.......still leaves a Bad Taste in my mouth

we have no respect for britts here

and if you think we do

ur clearly mistaken

queensize.gif

Hi Beetleron,

You have gone right over my head with your comments mate, and what is your mum mimeing? :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

My "what if" guess is that there probabley would have been another break after the PG touring(although obviously a letter one) even without Plants accident, thats afterall the pattern alot of the 70's supergroups seemed to get into.

I posted the scheduled dates above, they had to have been doing that US tour.

Can you clarify or further substantiate the one-off California date for January 1976? Do you show it was planned prior to the accident? It doesn't make sense that they would fly all the way to the west coast for a one-off unless it was tied into something else.

I don't know exactly, I took it from the LZ database. It was performed at the rose bowl, and I think it was the first gig of 1976 if Plant didn't get into the accident. I would guess other things would be tied in unless Zeppelin planned a whole US tour. Weren't they going to tour a bit in the Spring part of 1976?

I don't know exactly, I took it from the LZ database. It was performed at the rose bowl, and I think it was the first gig of 1976 if Plant didn't get into the accident. I would guess other things would be tied in unless Zeppelin planned a whole US tour. Weren't they going to tour a bit in the Spring part of 1976?

Which database? It's possible if not probable they would have toured the US in Spring 1976, but I've never seen any evidence to suggest such a notion reached the planning stage and generated confirmed date(s).

The argenteum astrum one. If Zeppelin had any plans to tour in 1976, I would figure this show would be a warm up, but likely that a tour wasn't planned before Plant's accident.

The Rose Bowl venue is far too big for a warm-up date. I'll ask him where he got this information from as I agree there was no USA '76 tour planned.

I wish I could but for me the full itinerary of 33 dates, cities and venues actually remains unconfirmed. I have substantiated/confirmed the following:

August 10-20 1975...roughly ten days of tour rehearsals planned to be held in France on August 10th onwards were cancelled (according to Jimmy)

August 23 1975 Oakland, CA Coliseum

August 24 1975 Oakland, CA Coliseum

September 6, 1975 Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl

and these cities presented here in no particular order...Kansas City...Louisville...New Orleans...Tempe...Denver...Tampa...Atlanta...Pittsburgh

-------------

Thanks Steve and LedZepFilm for the info. Although the listing is incomplete it's probably all that was confirmed at the time due to Robert's accident unless someone else can supply more dates from good sources. Possibly, someone who was close to the band may be able to provide more.

Which database? It's possible if not probable they would have toured the US in Spring 1976, but I've never seen any evidence to suggest such a notion reached the planning stage and generated confirmed date(s).

He may mean this: http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/forumpage.aspx

Does anyone know the planned location of the cancelled 10 rehearsals in France?

Jimmy said roughly ten days of rehearsals in France from August 10th onwards (their first US date was August 23rd). So presumably in Paris or perhaps the south of France. I'll see if I can get confirmation of the location and venue/studio.

I'd say that blog is 99% accurate. The outrageous stories concerning Bonham and his Rolls Royce have been atttibuted to other locales and told in different ways, essentially becoming folklore. I've got to visit Devil's Hole and see that statue one day - way cool!

Hey Steve

I've been to Devils Hole a few times and it is well scary. If i remember you go through a small gate with a ses pit green pool on the right with a statue of something in it. i think it's a massive devil.

Then you walk to the hole itself, which is a cave a very long way down. It was 30 odd years ago though and i was probably stoned.

Wouldn't go there at night and certainly not tripping !!

Archived