"Black Zeppelin" myth...

jb412

I write for Back Page Magazine, and we just scored a great interview with Bill Ward of Black Sabbath.

In the interview, he discusses the "Black Zeppelin" session that supposedly took place in the 1970s. Zeppelin apparently hung out in the studio with Sabbath, and Bonzo went crazy on the song 'Supernaut'. This has been a rumor for years, as I'm sure you know.

We spoke with Bill Ward and he discussed some pretty detailed accounts of the day's events, shining some light on an otherwise whispered-about dream for most classic rock fans. Apparently, it DID happen, and it sounds remarkable.

Check out our interview here - http://backpagemagazine.com/2011/07/27/the-mystery-of-the-black-zeppelin-sessions-revealed/ and feel free to share the link around! We're excited about the interview, and hope you all enjoy it too. We're all fans, after all.

Thanks!

I write for Back Page Magazine, and we just scored a great interview with Bill Ward of Black Sabbath.

In the interview, he discusses the "Black Zeppelin" session that supposedly took place in the 1970s. Zeppelin apparently hung out in the studio with Sabbath, and Bonzo went crazy on the song 'Supernaut'. This has been a rumor for years, as I'm sure you know.

We spoke with Bill Ward and he discussed some pretty detailed accounts of the day's events, shining some light on an otherwise whispered-about dream for most classic rock fans. Apparently, it DID happen, and it sounds remarkable.

Check out our interview here - http://backpagemagazine.com/2011/07/27/the-mystery-of-the-black-zeppelin-sessions-revealed/ and feel free to share the link around! We're excited about the interview, and hope you all enjoy it too. We're all fans, after all.

Thanks!

First, welcome to the forum. I plan on listening to the interview, thanks for the link! Is there any chance that the session you are referring to, will ever be released? Thanks again!

Coincidentally, "Supernaut" is one of my favourite Black Sabbath songs.

+1. Zappa was quite fond of it too, I believe.

Although simple, the riff has a balanced, kinetic and insistent quality, which is lacking in most of the other bone-crushing and often disjointed songs from their classic period (i.e. up to Sabotage, which happens to be my favourite).

Interesting that Bonzo was yelling 'Supernaut' throughout. Assuming this element of the story was circulating at the time, maybe that's where 1000 Homo DJs got the idea for their version...?

First, welcome to the forum. I plan on listening to the interview, thanks for the link! Is there any chance that the session you are referring to, will ever be released? Thanks again!

Haha, I wish we'd someday be able to hear the recordings...I've actually read a bit on the Web about how bootlegs allegedly exist, but haven't seen/heard anything tangible. =/

I show the Supernaut jam occured at The Record Plant in Los Angeles on June 26, 1972 but it was not recorded.

In 1965, Bill Ward (who was then the drummer for The Rest) first saw John Bonham, who was performing at The Wharf in Worcester. Bill recalls "...he had a pint of bitter at his feet throughout..." Ozzy Osbourne also socialized with Bonham throughout the '70s.

John Bonham was Tony Iommi's best man when Iommi got married. (1st marrige I believe)

Robert Plant and Geezer Butler are also pretty friendly.

both are soccer freaks..

The members of Zeppelin all went to see Black Sabbath when they played their 1st Dio era concert.

but .... John Bonham alledgedly kept busting Ronnie James Dio's chops He sings real good ... for a midget

Tony Iommi was in the audience applauding when Zeppelin were inducted into the UK R and R Hall Of Fame...

Bill Ward thanked "Bonzo" on his WARD ONE solo album...

• 2 weeks later...
Ozzy Osbourne also socialized with Bonham throughout the '70s.

Interesting. I wonder if Ozzy discussed Bonzo much in his autobiography. Must check it out.

OT: 1000 Homo DJs is one of the funniest band names in recent years

Thanks!

Incredible! I love it!! Thanks for posting!

• 2 months later...

Check out our interview here - http://backpagemagaz...sions-revealed/ and feel free to share the link around! We're excited about the interview, and hope you all enjoy it too. We're all fans, after all.

Thanks!

According to Tony Iommi, he has the tape. I read that on this site actually. One of the links from Blabbermouth or something. Will try and find it.

Check out our interview here - http://backpagemagaz...sions-revealed/ and feel free to share the link around! We're excited about the interview, and hope you all enjoy it too. We're all fans, after all.

Thanks!

READ THIS. http://www.blisterin...pidx/1/menuid/1

AND THIS http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tony-iommi-john-bonham-wedding-hijinks/

He claims to have the tapes.

• 2 years later...

I would have Loved to meet and Know John "Bonzo" Bonham. He seems to be the Perfect "Drinking" Partner.

There is a reason that Jimmy, Robert and John Paul refuse to tour as "Led Zeppelin". John Henry Bonham was and will always be the Heart and Soul of the Mighty Led Zeppelin.

I would have Loved to meet and Know John "Bonzo" Bonham. He seems to be the Perfect "Drinking" Partner.

There is a reason that Jimmy, Robert and John Paul refuse to tour as "Led Zeppelin". John Henry Bonham was and will always be the Heart and Soul of the Mighty Led Zeppelin.

To bad his buddies didnt know any better than to lay an extremely drunk person on their back or he might still be here to day. :zzz: .

Archived