Favorite Cities...

lzzoso

This seems to be a rather simple question with, probably, alot of different answers from different people around the world. What would be the cities that you would like to someday visit (or re-visit) and why?

Off the top of my head, I would say:

London (for obvious reasons, however, maybe not at this very tumultuous time)

Vancouver (I did a report on Vancouver back in the 6th grade and was fascinated by what I reported)

Rio de Janeiro (for the Carnival festivities)...

If you choose to reply, you can choose one city or ten cities. I will name a few more after I read a few other replies.

Paris, for the overall experience and culture

Rome, because I missed a few things the first time

Florence, to see the museums

London, lots to see

Nashville, lots to see there

Denver, Red Rocks and the geography of the area

NYC, haven't been yet

Charleston, the history and charm

That's all for now; not quite 10 though :unsure:

My favorite city is New York. I'd live there in a heartbeat...if I had all the money in the world! As it is, I visit 2 or 3 times a year.

Also could live in San Francisco, London or Chicago.

Love visiting Florence, Rome, Boston, Amsterdam

Enjoyed spending time in Paris, Seattle, San Diego, Toronto, Philadelphia.

At some point, I'll visit my SIL in Brisbane and take in Sydney (and some wine country!) while there.

Oh, and how could I forget my home town and the place where I live now - Baltimore and Washingon DC - both fabulous places to be!!

My favorite city is New York. I'd live there in a heartbeat...if I had all the money in the world! As it is, I visit 2 or 3 times a year.

Also could live in San Francisco, London or Chicago.

Love visiting Florence, Rome, Boston, Amsterdam

Enjoyed spending time in Paris, Seattle, San Diego, Toronto, Philadelphia.

At some point, I'll visit my SIL in Brisbane and take in Sydney (and some wine country!) while there.

Oh, and how could I forget my home town and the place where I live now - Baltimore and Washingon DC - both fabulous places to be!!

come say hi if you do! :)

I've travelled extensively thus far (480+ cities in 30+ countries) but these remain cities I fully intend to visit within the next ten years:

Shanghai

Beijing

Hanoi

Ankor Wat

Cairo

Rio de Janiero

Buenos Aires

Mexico City

Managua

Sydney

So I am assuming that the fear of flying is not a problem for you. wink.gif

I love to visit London(when not engulfed in riots and chaos), Chicago, Austin, Singapore, and Los Angeles.

**Oops! I misread the subtopic. Where I would like to go to. slapface.gif D'oh!!

Well....

*NY

*Paris

*Moscow

*Tahiti

*San Fransisco

*Sedona, Arizona

*Tokyo

*Spain

*Portland

*Vancouver

and many others.

Great question! Travel has always been a great lifelong and overriding passion and hobby for my husband and me - and we interact frequently with friends and acquaintances who share our love of WT. Before I joined the old LZ board, I used to write regularly for a travel forum, giving destination information, advice, hints and tips and my friends and I frequently share our travel intelligence and photos. My husband and I have traveled extensively throughout the world (over 50 countries) since our early 20s, when we first met. We're fortunate that the kind of travel we most enjoy hasn't cost a tremendous amount of money. We've also lived overseas and have flexible careers - and those things allow us to escape for months at a time (as opposed to doing the one or two week middle-aged tourist junket). We have returned to many of the cities/countries/regions we've been to in the past - but, in the same way you can never step twice into the same river, all of these places continue to change. Some cities that we haven't visited but would like to go to one day: Rangoon, Mandalay, Kandy, Awassa, Asmara, Thimpu, Lhasa, Pyonyang, Chittagong, Ushuaia.

Great question! Travel has always been a great lifelong and overriding passion and hobby for my husband and me - and we interact frequently with friends and acquaintances who share our love of WT. Before I joined the old LZ board, I used to write regularly for a travel forum, giving destination information, advice, hints and tips and my friends and I frequently share our travel intelligence and photos. My husband and I have traveled extensively throughout the world (over 50 countries) since our early 20s, when we first met. We're fortunate that the kind of travel we most enjoy hasn't cost a tremendous amount of money. We've also lived overseas and have flexible careers - and those things allow us to escape for months at a time (as opposed to doing the one or two week middle-aged tourist junket). We have returned to many of the cities/countries/regions we've been to in the past - but, in the same way you can never step twice into the same river, all of these places continue to change. Some cities that we haven't visited but would like to go to one day: Rangoon, Mandalay, Kandy, Awassa, Asmara, Thimpu, Lhasa, Pyonyang, Chittagong, Ushuaia.

I LOVE to read opinions on this from people who have actually traveled and know what they're talking about. Good stuff MSG :D

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Every place I have visited has it's own charm. Sometimes it hits you right in the face or sometimes you have to go there many times to fall in love. Love at first sight for me: New York City, Berlin, St Petersburg (Russia). Sometimes you don't get the hype (Amsterdam) or you are sad, in a bad mood or in totally wrong company (not the city's fault...)

Last time I was really enjoying myself was last week actually, when I travelled in an old, squeaky train from Gdansk to Sopot (these are in northern Poland) and I had an amazing lunch on the beach followed by a massage in an oldfashioned spa.

Berlin is not a beautiful city. The charm lies in it's energy and style, past and present can be seen side by side and different parts of the city has their own charm. It is a very cheap place to visit compared to many other European capital, in Berlin you can eat out and rent an apartment and still have some money left. I've been there five times and am going again before Christmas. Before that it's Paris and Rome :-)

I've travelled extensively thus far (480+ cities in 30+ countries) but these remain cities I fully intend to visit within the next ten years:

Shanghai

Beijing

Hanoi

Ankor Wat

Cairo

Rio de Janiero

Buenos Aires

Mexico City

Managua

Sydney

Steve:

I see that this was an old post of yours, but I stumbled across it and just had to comment. I, too am an extensive traveler. I have an extreme case of wanderlust and I find the older I get (currently 55), the more obsessive I get about it. Other than weekends and public holidays, I simply refuse to waste a single day off work for anything other than foreign travel. My particular favorite regions of the world are South East Asia and Latin America. I've grown weary of Western Europe due to the crowds, and in all honesty, I no longer like European culture.

From your list, I particularly note Managua, Buenos Aires, Hanoi, Angkor Wat, and Rio. I loved these places. Managua is considered a real toilet of a place, but I liked the place. Yes, it's dangerous and has no real redeeming value, but I've been back several times and get a real kick out of the dysfunctional chaos. Hanoi is my favorite place in the world, and BA has got me there twice.

I'll be in eastern El Salvador later this year, exploring coffee fincas. I was there briefly a few years ago and vowed to return.

Archived