Zeppelin Led

1st leg: April 1st - April 30th. The band is on on the later half of this leg, but for the opening shows they are rusty and unrehearsed.

2nd leg: May 18th - June 27th. This leg brings on the most powerful shows of this tour, expecially the Garden shows and the LA forum shows.

3rd leg: July 17th, July 20th, July 23rd - 24th. Seattle opens this leg. The band is energetic, it's not the best performance but Stairway is awesome. Tempe follows. The worst show out of them all. The band is slow, tired, missing cues, and still. The oakland series closes the tour before Robert gets that dredded phone call. Those shows are not the best, but the band is happy to be there and a rare for 1977 Black Dog closes the first date.

Plants banter between the songs is I'd say part of what gives the tour character, he largely drops the more hippish talk and just goes for humour instead.

I feel the same way about 77 as 75 personally, its not really a tour I want to listen to every show given the inconsistancey of performance and the late of variety in the setlists but the best few shows are very listenable. The Millard LA/San Deigo shows and the second night in Cleveland are in my CD player pretty often but the rest I rarely listen to and indeed havent bothered to pickup much of it.

I am certainly no expert, nor have I dessceted every performance from 77'. I have done my fair share of reading and following the band throughout the years and fortunate enough to see Zeppelin perform 3 times in Seattle 73', 75' and 77'. Looking back, each show declined a bit likely due to extra curricular activities; namely drugs. The 77' tour was very erratic; performences often lacking, rambling and as Jonsey once said "We just forgot about the music" I believe the tour would have been much better if they had done what they did in 1980; that is scaling down the set. 77 would have worked much better without the 30+ minute drum, piano and guitar solos. I remember the 77 Kingdome show when Page was scrating his guitar for 45 minutes there were a ton of fans out in the concourse bs'ing , taking a leak and seemingly just waiting for the music to begin again. Just my opinion. It was what it was and I am just thankful I discovered this band back in the earlly early 70's. I do believe their best years! Just remember the good times and the joy the music has brought to you and try not to take it all too serious.

The only thing that disgusts me is they didn't drop SIBLY and play TF1

That's a bit of a harsh word to describe that don't you think? Even though '77 is my favourite tour as well I'm not so sure I would like to hear a '77 era Jimmy trying to play Tea For One...

The only thing that disgusts me is they didn't drop SIBLY and play TF1

Disgust is one of the basic emotions and is typically associated with things that are regarded as unclean, inedible, infectious, gory or otherwise offensive. In The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals, Charles Darwin wrote that disgust refers to something revolting. Disgust is experienced primarily in relation to the sense of taste (either perceived or imagined), and secondarily to anything which causes a similar feeling by sense of smell, touch, or vision. Musically sensitive people may even be disgusted by the cacophony of inharmonious sounds. Disgust is one of the basic emotions of Robert Plutchik's theory of emotions. It invokes a characteristic facial expression, one of Paul Ekman's six universal facial expressions of emotion. Unlike the emotions of fear, anger, and sadness, disgust is associated with a decrease in heart rate.

the 77 SIBLY is quite good........i tend to get a bit bored with the tune........but i love the destroyer version.........which is quite underated

I'm a fan of '77 SIBLY also, the 28/5 version is pretty awesome. Can't say the same for the rest of that show though unfortunately.

Well, since the 77 tour was only 34 yahrens ago we have to live with what we got, a lot of bootlegs without numbers they did not play.

So far for temporal vortexes and wishful thinking.

Personally I like the way they played SIBLY on that tour, the great versions of NQ, the amazing Percy-tells-us-some-inspired-bullshit comments ......hell, I even like Jimmy's theremin freak escapades !!!

I'm a fan of '77 SIBLY also, the 28/5 version is pretty awesome. Can't say the same for the rest of that show though unfortunately.

dunno Tom.....i'm kinda ..old school so maybe that makes me a bit biased.............of 77 shows.............man...........destroyer hits me with the best IMTOD ...trampled.............and Sibly

i'm also quite partial to the entire acoustic set.............upright bass n all.......:D

One thing I love about '77 is Jonesy's bass it has a really twangy sound.

Ugh, that is one of my least favourite aspects of post-75 Zeppelin: Jones switching to all those twangy Alembic 4 and 8 string basses. Who did he think he was, Greg Lake?

At the actual concerts, especially in a venue like the Forum, everything was so loud and boomy you didn't really notice it right away unless you paid specific attention, or were sitting right in front of Jonesey's bass rig. But for whatever reason, the way those Alembic basses recorded comes across as being thin and twangy with no bottom end. Whether it is a soundboard or an audience tape, the bass is severely lacking, especially compared to the robust bass tones of 1975.

As for the 1977 tour, I'm pretty sure this topic has been hashed out extensively before...it's not that hard to do a thread search.

But then, Jahfin and I seem to be the only ones who care about this.

Someone mentioned 77 SIBLY's...I'm pretty ambivalent about them. I would have preferred to hear Tea For One definitely. Smacked out or not, I think Jimmy could have handled it...in fact, the challenge of learning to play a new song might have invigorated him. He certainly rose to the challenge of playing Achilles, Nobody's Fault and Ten Years Gone.

The problem I had with the 77 SIBLY's is that they messed up the crucial part of the song right after the solo. This is when the band should be tightening the screws and ratcheting up the tension during the "Open my front door hear my back door slam" part. Instead, Jimmy gets lazy and doesn't play the arpeggios all the way through, Bonzo gets lazy with the beat and all tension and air is let out of the song and it just dissipates to an unsatisfactory conclusion.

Oh, and whoever had the Seattle Kingdome memory...at the LA Forum shows(and I'd wager, the other 77 shows, too), the same thing happened: people leaving in droves during the drum and guitar/noise solos. Bad judgment on the part of the band, one year into the punk-era, not to see the writing on the wall and realize audience tolerance for stand-alone instrument solos was short. You wanna jam on No Quarter or do an extended solo during OTHAFA or Stairway? Fine, that's a band jam and in the context of the song. But by 1977, watching drum solos for 30 minutes and then guitar screeches for another 15 or 30 minutes was self-indulgent bullshit.

All momentum built up by the first 2 hours of the show, climaxing with the stupendous Kashmir was lost and the band often struggled to regain that energy and excitement in the last hour of the show.

It might seem sacrilege to some, but you often would see empty seats during Stairway to Heaven. Some people, especially those who had to work, obviously got tired of waiting through the drum and guitar solos, and as the clock approached the midnight hour, said fuck it and went home.

As that guy on the Listen to This, Eddie bootleg says: WE'VE HAD THE GUITAR LESSON...PLAY SOME MUSIC!

Ugh, that is one of my least favourite aspects of post-75 Zeppelin: Jones switching to all those twangy Alembic 4 and 8 string basses. Who did he think he was, Greg Lake?

At the actual concerts, especially in a venue like the Forum, everything was so loud and boomy you didn't really notice it right away unless you paid specific attention, or were sitting right in front of Jonesey's bass rig. But for whatever reason, the way those Alembic basses recorded comes across as being thin and twangy with no bottom end. Whether it is a soundboard or an audience tape, the bass is severely lacking, especially compared to the robust bass tones of 1975.

As for the 1977 tour, I'm pretty sure this topic has been hashed out extensively before...it's not that hard to do a thread search.

But then, Jahfin and I seem to be the only ones who care about this.

Someone mentioned 77 SIBLY's...I'm pretty ambivalent about them. I would have preferred to hear Tea For One definitely. Smacked out or not, I think Jimmy could have handled it...in fact, the challenge of learning to play a new song might have invigorated him. He certainly rose to the challenge of playing Achilles, Nobody's Fault and Ten Years Gone.

The problem I had with the 77 SIBLY's is that they messed up the crucial part of the song right after the solo. This is when the band should be tightening the screws and ratcheting up the tension during the "Open my front door hear my back door slam" part. Instead, Jimmy gets lazy and doesn't play the arpeggios all the way through, Bonzo gets lazy with the beat and all tension and air is let out of the song and it just dissipates to an unsatisfactory conclusion.

Oh, and whoever had the Seattle Kingdome memory...at the LA Forum shows(and I'd wager, the other 77 shows, too), the same thing happened: people leaving in droves during the drum and guitar/noise solos. Bad judgment on the part of the band, one year into the punk-era, not to see the writing on the wall and realize audience tolerance for stand-alone instrument solos was short. You wanna jam on No Quarter or do an extended solo during OTHAFA or Stairway? Fine, that's a band jam and in the context of the song. But by 1977, watching drum solos for 30 minutes and then guitar screeches for another 15 or 30 minutes was self-indulgent bullshit.

All momentum built up by the first 2 hours of the show, climaxing with the stupendous Kashmir was lost and the band often struggled to regain that energy and excitement in the last hour of the show.

It might seem sacrilege to some, but you often would see empty seats during Stairway to Heaven. Some people, especially those who had to work, obviously got tired of waiting through the drum and guitar solos, and as the clock approached the midnight hour, said fuck it and went home.

As that guy on the Listen to This, Eddie bootleg says: WE'VE HAD THE GUITAR LESSON...PLAY SOME MUSIC!

I love the Guitar solo/Drum Solo/Keyboard Solos

Btw What song and when does A guy say 'WE'VE HAD THE GUITAR LESSON...PLAY SOME MUSIC'

skip to 3'20

the definitive statement to date is the only official release of any 1977 tour recordings for financial gains is the bootleg clip on the Led Zeppelin DVD(and that was somewhat buried in the menu section).

^^^Nice. Those Japanese shows are some of my favourites of the Page & Plant era.

I love the Guitar solo/Drum Solo/Keyboard Solos

Btw What song and when does A guy say 'WE'VE HAD THE GUITAR LESSON...PLAY SOME MUSIC'?

It's during Jimmy's guitar/noise solo...don't have the disc at hand, but I believe it is around the part where Jimmy goes into the section that sounds like Eddie Van Halen's "Cathedral". It's pretty funny...and since it sounds like Mike recorded this close to the stage(you hear one guy shout "Hi Plant!" during the show), you wonder if Jimmy heard the guy.

^^^Nice. Those Japanese shows are some of my favourites of the Page & Plant era.

It's during Jimmy's guitar/noise solo...don't have the disc at hand, but I believe it is around the part where Jimmy goes into the section that sounds like Eddie Van Halen's "Cathedral". It's pretty funny...and since it sounds like Mike recorded this close to the stage(you hear one guy shout "Hi Plant!" during the show), you wonder if Jimmy heard the guy.

Haha I just heard it.

Page should've done this during nq alongside jonesy keyboards

• 2 weeks later...

can´t share the jokes.can´t go along with it.i love all the solos of the second badges records even more than most of the songs.

instrumentals just inspire my fantasy and it is often like hearing a classic concert,it is not just a ´see how fast i can play thing´.violinbowparts breaks musical lines...

Archived