Zeppelin Led

By the way, does anyone know what happened to nutrocker? (the poster, not what Jonesy played during NQ on a few occasions.)

He hasn't been active since may apparently according to his profile. I miss that guy, He was like a bootleg mentor.

Ah, so good to be loved! :lol:

Sorry, folks...been a little busy, finishing a few jobs, going on a well deserved holiday. Add to that my missus had a bit of a cancer scare in September (the docs got it, thank Christ)...yeah, it's been pretty hectic lately. Had to sorta readjust our priorities, if you can dig it.

I see some things never change, though...still debating the merits of the Landover shows, huh? I'm with Tom; the 26th and 28th generally blew IMO...the 25th and the 30th are the real keepers of that run. I actually prefer the 25th, as shitty as the recording is...

JimmyPageZoso56 said:

"Fort Worth 22/5/77 Have it.

Cleveland 28/4/77

Birmingham 18/5/77

Chicago 10/4/77 Have it, sound quality is shit.

Cincinnati 20/4/77 Have it.

Cincinnati 19/4/77

Atlanta 23-4-77 (If you can handle the quality or lack thereof of the recording)

Landover 30-5-77 (One of the best shows of the whole tour imo, and a great audience recording)

All of the LA shows Have 6/21, 6/23, 6/27

All of the MSG shows (Again,if you can handle the quality of the recordings that is although there is now a soundboard out of the first night and the 11th June show is a very good audience recording) Have 6/7, 6/11, 6/13. 6/13 sound is distant, hard to hear in places."

Jimmy...seriously, dude, if you have not heard April 28th or May 18 you gotta have 'em...two of the best '77 shows!

• 1 month later...

The only thing that disgusts me is they didn't drop SIBLY and play TF1

I agree completely, I was actually just thinking the same thing the other day. The '77 tour has to be my favorite hands down. I loved the look ( Jimmy's white suit FTW), the solos (especially the noise solo which was an awesome prelude to Achilles' Last Stand, which is my #1 favorite LZ song) I loved the addition of the "The Rover" intro to Sick Again, the additions of TYG, and TBoEM, and BCW+B-Y-A S, and to me, as long as the playing is solid enough, the longer the concert the better. It's honestly my greatest wish to someday see the Pontiac (which I hope they find a better source for; preferably a soundboard)and Houston footage released somehow and to finally get to watch them both.

I agree completely, I was actually just thinking the same thing the other day. The '77 tour has to be my favorite hands down. I loved the look ( Jimmy's white suit FTW), the solos (especially the noise solo which was an awesome prelude to Achilles' Last Stand, which is my #1 favorite LZ song) I loved the addition of the "The Rover" intro to Sick Again, the additions of TYG, and TBoEM, and BCW+B-Y-A S, and to me, as long as the playing is solid enough, the longer the concert the better. It's honestly my greatest wish to someday see the Pontiac (which I hope they find a better source for; preferably a soundboard)and Houston footage released somehow and to finally get to watch them both.

Emphasis mine...

Very rare these days that I have time for a full '77 show; I did throw on June 10 (New York) the other night and listened to the whole thing. Wow. Fuckin' excellent performance. The effect is akin to being bludgeoned over the head with Maxwell's Silver Hammer by show's end, but in a good way. IMO although they are by and large longer performances, the '77 shows lack the tedium of the 1975 concerts. I've only made it through a full 1975 show a handful of times, and have actually dozed off more than once during those fourty minute "Dazed And Confused"'s. 1977 kicks ass, and always will!

• 2 weeks later...

There was an 18 month wait between Houses of the Holy and Physical Grafitti. A very impatient wait for us Zeppelin faithfull back then. Many were wondering when the next album by this super group would come? How is it possible Kashmir was played in 1975? I have to hear some explaining on that one. I did not think it was written until after Houses of the Holy. If it was played live in 75 then why is it not on TSRTS? I must disagree

There was an 18 month wait between Houses of the Holy and Physical Grafitti. A very impatient wait for us Zeppelin faithfull back then. Many were wondering when the next album by this super group would come? How is it possible Kashmir was played in 1975? I have to hear some explaining on that one. I did not think it was written until after Houses of the Holy. If it was played live in 75 then why is it not on TSRTS? I must disagree

Kashmir was played in 1975. So wasn't Trampled Underfoot, IMTOD, and Sick Again.

The Song Remains The Same was footage from their 1973 tour.. not 1975.

Was certain Houses of the Holy came out in 1975 and then PG in 1976. I have never heard this before. So Kashmir was written before Dyer Maker for instance?

Houses was released in 1973... March I believe

PG - Feb 1975

Presence - April 1976

Kashmir was written and recorded in 1974

Houses was released in 1973... March I believe

PG - Feb 1975

Presence - April 1976

Kashmir was written and recorded in 1974

Chase, LedZepFan77 is either winding you up or is an extreme newbie...or maybe just hammered on New Year's Eve. ;)

Strider, I happened to be around back then and bought the albums as soon as they hit the stores. So are you telling me I am a newbie how? I am 54 yrs old, saw them in 77 and I thought that Houses of the Holy came out in 75. If I am wrong about the year tell me? I thought Grafitti came out 18 months later in 76? You are telling me Kashmir was recorded before Houses of the Holy? If so that is news to me.

OK I looked it up and it was released earlier than I thought. 73. I know the order of the albums but its tough to remember dates from way back. But I am surprised to hear it was played on the 75 tour

I see Presence was released in 76. So my dates are messed up. Shoot me

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the 1975 tour as the Physical Graffiti tour, and '77 as the Presence tour. Those were, after all, the respective albums they were promoting on those tours. Hell, they started the '75 tour even before PG came out, and the album was fairly represented at those shows (even moreso before they dropped "The Wanton Song" after Indianapolis- which should have stayed in IMO, along with "When The Levee Breaks" and "How Many More Times" in place of "Dazed And Confused" ala the January 20th Chicago show)

I know SIBLY was a favourite performance piece of the band's, but in '77 they really should have played "Tea For One" in its place...shit, some nights I think Jimmy was so out of it he thought they were playing TF1 :lol: ...a lot of the '77 SIBLY's guitar wise really are a fusion of the two.

• 2 weeks later...

I met a lady yesterday that was at the Atlanta show on April 23 1977 at the Omni. I sent her the timeline link. I saw them a month later in Landover MD. I will have to check out that show a bit. she was lucky to get tickets. Won them as the tenth caller on a radio station. It was very tough to get tickets to see them in those days.

New york 6/7/77 has one of the worst versions of Kashmir I heard. It's strong at first then just gets so messy; they haven't played the song any different than they did prior dates or the previous tour. Jimmy and Jonesy must get mixed up somehow because Bonzo does some crazy fills then Jonesy plays the descent riff (I think it's actually the bridge of the song) and Jimmy plays the main riff. Then Jimmy doesnt realize they are playing the descent riff and continues the main riff. Then they play the descent again and Jimmy plays it twice no realizing it's played once. Just a disaster. Robert was probably thinking "wtf are you guys doing?" However, it shows they are human.

Sorry if I confused you; just listen to it. you'll hear what I mean.

• 5 weeks later...

New york 6/7/77 has one of the worst versions of Kashmir I heard. It's strong at first then just gets so messy; they haven't played the song any different than they did prior dates or the previous tour. Jimmy and Jonesy must get mixed up somehow because Bonzo does some crazy fills then Jonesy plays the descent riff (I think it's actually the bridge of the song) and Jimmy plays the main riff. Then Jimmy doesnt realize they are playing the descent riff and continues the main riff. Then they play the descent again and Jimmy plays it twice no realizing it's played once. Just a disaster. Robert was probably thinking "wtf are you guys doing?" However, it shows they are human.

Sorry if I confused you; just listen to it. you'll hear what I mean.

They fucked up "Kashmir" more often than not from '77 onward (didn't seem to have as many issues with it in '75 I notice)...look at Zurich '80 where they seriously screw it up, and when they get back on track Plant actually says, "That's better!" LOL. I can't imagine what he must have been thinking, but it probably wasn't good...

One thing I've been meaning to try is to "fix" Kashmir from 6-23-77. Since they practically play it twice, I figure I might be able to remove the mistake portion, and create a new, improved, perfect version...

I seem to recall somebody doing something like that with the Zurich '80 show (I've never heard that version, though). Still, though I understand yer rationale for creating a 'new, improved' version of "Kashmir" for the Badgeholder's show, IMO it does sorta cheat the idea that a bootleg captures the performance exactly as it was on the night. So, they screwed up "Kashmir"...so what? They're human, and shit happens. It's part of the show, and they probably had a good laugh about it afterwards. Also, making a Frankenstein 6-23-77 "Kashmir" would sort of betray the context of Plant's "I'll give that an eight out of ten" comment at song's end.

Sorry...I just find the idea of rewriting history on a bootleg recording amusing. I mean, if someone was gonna start editing mistakes on Zeppelin shows, they've got a lotta editing to do LOL...

Archived