Ten "desert island" Zeppelin shows

wilsoncb420

This topic started at Royal Orleans by "Weedwacker" and I found it to be very interesting.

ALL Zeppelin, of course. Post your 10 recordings you would choose if that was all you had for the rest of your life.

1. Royal Albert Hall 1970! --DUH IDIOTS! This and September 19, 1970, evening, are my favorite zeppelin shows. I am leaving the other out to make room for more variety. I just like this one better because I feel like it is tighter and a better representation of what Zeppelin was trying to do. I would have the 1st half of Heartbreaker and maybe before I get stranded on a desert island, the recordings of Thank You and Since I've Been Loving You will surface. Jimmy said that they accidently didn't multi-track the organ and bass on those two songs, but listen to the two parts of the Royal Albert Hall "Thank You" from the two menu sections on the DVD. Both multi-track audio. Possibly Zeppelins best show, along with the Madison Square Garden shows at the end of 1970.

2. "Blueberry Hill" 1970 (2 source combo) --This is the recording I play for all my friends, girlfriends who think i am crazy, and family. The SIBLY, Bring it on Home, Heartbreaker, Out on the Tiles, and acoustic tunes in almost BETTER than SBD quality. TIGHT.

3. Montreux 1970 "Intimidator" release with 3rd disc of sbd. --This show has a party atmosphere to me. I love it. The way Page's guitar gets out of tune on a few songs makes it better for me, because they aren't trying to be perfect because they know that no matter what happens, they are the best there is. Heartbreaker and SIBLY do it. The crowd reactions make it better.

4. Orlando 1971 sbd --Thank You is Jimmy's finest performance on any song/solo to me, always has been, always will be! Of course, 71 is awesome. Heartbreaker, mind blowing, SIBLY, breathtaking.

5. Trentham Gardens, Stoke, U.K. sbd --Tight, great sound, great band and vocals, awesome. Over the Hills and Far Away makes me get up and dance EVERY TIME.

6. LA June 21st, 1977 --Can you say POWER? Heartbreaker is a slap in the face. And its by REQUEST! Hands down one of my most listened to since I 1st knew how to play a CD. I think this is Millard's best sounding recording of the band from 1977.

7. March 19th, 1975 sbd --Great sounding boot, great set, great jamming, vibe. Favorite of 1975.

8. February 12th, 1975 sbd --GREAT sound, tight, powerful, great set, at the Garden. High energy. Sounds officially released. Trampled Underfoot is tight.

9. March 17th, 1975 sbd --Great sound, jamming, DAZED, Seattle, LONG , unique No Quarter. Long Stairway to Heaven!!!

10. July 17, 1973 Seattle --I shouldn't have to explain should I? I love it. Dazed, No Quarter, everything. I wish I had room for some early US 73 shows and Salt Lake City.

and HTWWW would be hidden behind my belt-line as I swim to shore and get on dry land and then i will hide it while i set up camp.

if i could take one more, it would be August 4th, 1979. I would totally be sorry I left it at home after a day or two, but the list is final.

• 6 years later...

Bumping this topic since it's a pretty cool idea. Narrowing it down to 10 is difficult, not to mention my favorites change all the time. As of right now, though, here's my picks:

1/26/69 - IMO the first truly great Zeppelin show. Whether it lasted 4 hours or just 90 minutes doesn't matter. This is a devastating assault from beginning to end. Even Bonham's drum solo is spectacular. No wasted moments here! This is as good as it gets for 69, as far as I'm concerned.

4/27/69 - a no-brainer of course due to As Long As I Have You and HMMT. Superb sound quality is just the icing on the cake.

3/7/70 - RAH on steroids. Enough said.

9/19/70 (evening) - I've come to the conclusion that this is probably their single greatest concert as a whole unit. Sure, you can find individual performances from the band members that are better elsewhere, but the band as a collective whole was probably never in better shape health-wise than they were here. The last hour from Whole Lotta Love onwards is essential to any fan of live rock music.

9/23/71 - Sure the 9/29 Osaka show may be slightly better, but I hate the sound of the tape for that show. This recording is much more atmospheric and the performance is tight as ever. Maybe, just maybe, the greatest Whole Lotta Love medley of all time. No wonder the crowd went nuts!

6/25/72 - another no-brainer. Don't really need to explain this one.

3/24/73 - the instrumental peak of the band, especially Page. Really any show from the European run would be great, but this one has that "X factor" that pushes it over the top for me.

3/21/75 - never been a huge 75 fan, but with the new SBD/AUD matrix, this has quickly become one of my favorite shows. Epic show which doesn't really drag at any point. Page and Plant are probably in the best shape they would be for 75.

6/21/77 - the show that made me fall in love with live Zeppelin. Outstanding sound quality mixed with an outstanding performance. What more can you say?

7/24/79 - their last perfect concert IMO. The setlist covers pretty much their entire discography, and with Page playing his ass off in particular, this is an excellent summary of Zeppelin's career.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:39 PM, ZepHead315 said:

Bumping this topic since it's a pretty cool idea. Narrowing it down to 10 is difficult, not to mention my favorites change all the time. As of right now, though, here's my picks:

1/26/69 - IMO the first truly great Zeppelin show. Whether it lasted 4 hours or just 90 minutes doesn't matter. This is a devastating assault from beginning to end. Even Bonham's drum solo is spectacular. No wasted moments here! This is as good as it gets for 69, as far as I'm concerned.

4/27/69 - a no-brainer of course due to As Long As I Have You and HMMT. Superb sound quality is just the icing on the cake.

3/7/70 - RAH on steroids. Enough said.

9/19/70 (evening) - I've come to the conclusion that this is probably their single greatest concert as a whole unit. Sure, you can find individual performances from the band members that are better elsewhere, but the band as a collective whole was probably never in better shape health-wise than they were here. The last hour from Whole Lotta Love onwards is essential to any fan of live rock music.

9/23/71 - Sure the 9/29 Osaka show may be slightly better, but I hate the sound of the tape for that show. This recording is much more atmospheric and the performance is tight as ever. Maybe, just maybe, the greatest Whole Lotta Love medley of all time. No wonder the crowd went nuts!

6/25/72 - another no-brainer. Don't really need to explain this one.

3/24/73 - the instrumental peak of the band, especially Page. Really any show from the European run would be great, but this one has that "X factor" that pushes it over the top for me.

3/21/75 - never been a huge 75 fan, but with the new SBD/AUD matrix, this has quickly become one of my favorite shows. Epic show which doesn't really drag at any point. Page and Plant are probably in the best shape they would be for 75.

6/21/77 - the show that made me fall in love with live Zeppelin. Outstanding sound quality mixed with an outstanding performance. What more can you say?

7/24/79 - their last perfect concert IMO. The setlist covers pretty much their entire discography, and with Page playing his ass off in particular, this is an excellent summary of Zeppelin's career.

Now, if only an official version (box set) were to be released of these for their 50th Anniversary. One can Dream.

R😎

Ouch, what a hard choice. But i will choose my favorites, by years.

1969.01.23 (Boston)  Only 5 songs (Train kept a rollin',  i can't quit you baby, as long as i have you, dazed and confused, you shook me) but WHAT A SHOW ! 

1970.01.09 (London) Easy choice,epic concert.

1971.09.29 (Osaka)  Excellent show... this moby dick version is my favorite,  its the  "military version"

1972.06.28 (Tucson) Bad sound quality, but great show 

1973.05.19 (Fort Worth) Nothing to say. Just great. 

1975.05.24 (London) Excellent show... it was hard to choose,  march 1975 and may 1975 are both excellents imo.

1977.06.26 (Inglewood) wilson you are so cruel.. here too, too many good shows in 1977 

1979.08.04 (Knewborth) My regret was to see not a lot Bonham on the film, everytime Jimmy and Plant.. but i can understand that.

1980.07.07 (Berlin)  Not because it's the last one.   Its an excellent show.

that's 9. .  for 10th i will choose  1975/03/12 (Long Beach)  

Archived