In Through The Out Door

In Through The Out Door is my second favorite Zep album after Houses of the Holy. I don't know if I can put into words why I love it so much but here goes. The one word I remember hearing about ITTOD before I ever bought it was how "different" it was compared to other Zep albums. ITTOD is indeed "different" compared to the heavy bluesness of the first two albums or even the untitled fourth album, but what I came to appreciate about Zeppelin over time was how "different" alot of their latter days output was compared to their earlier work.

Frankly, I don't think Zeppelin would've been as great as they were if every album sounded the same. As for ITTOD, I love the much carped about use of synthesizers/keyboards/piano that's prevalent throught the record. To me it adds a dimension that was lacking from their previous album Presence, not that I'm knocking Presence, it's a great album in its own right, just a little one dimensional imo.

From the opening of In The Evening, to the closing moments of I'm Gonna Crawl and that blistering solo by Page, ITTOD proves to be a very worthy entry in the Zep catalog. And for me, Carouselambra is in my top five as far as Zep songs go. Thinking about it, if I had to make one change, I probably would swap South Bound Saurez for Darlene. Not that I don't like SBS, but to me it's my least favorite track of the album. I'll just wrap this up by saying I think ITTOD is a masterpiece and shows that times change and so do many great artists over the course of their careers. Led Zeppelin was no different.

Paul, great write up! I totally agree and feel the same way overall about the album...maybe not quite as strong as you do, but I do like it for the same reasons. I'm glad to see a few people shedding their honesty and likeness particularly to Carouselambra, because there is a lot of negativity towards this song floating around, and I never quite understood why. Obviously, we feel the opposite. I guess it's one of those - love it or hate it.

Same here.

Carouselambra is an absolute blistering masterpiece! Both this song and 'In the Evening' I would place in my top 10 Zep favorites.

Though I do have to wonder that had tragedy not stuck, if they had probably just one more great album in them to make before the goofiness of the 80's changing style of music would have ruined them. Like what happened to RUSH because of those synthesizers.

Also I like to wonder just how more awesome 'In Through the Out Door' would have been had it been combined with 'Coda' to make their 2nd studio double album.

I think they would have had a bunch more great albums. If we examine Page's work on Coverdale&Page for example with Robert's stuff - clearly working together with Jones they would have made more great music together. They most likely would have spaced the time between albums though maybe every 3 to 5 years between albums.

I don't care what anybody says...That is a KILLER song...even though it might drag on a little too long, the three transitions of each section are so different from one another. I've written about this gem several times within this thread I created. Being a musician, I can appreciate this song and even though Page has minimal input, those two chords he hits at 4:21 and 4:25 (repeated throughout that section) send me chills. The bass playing is some of JPJ's finest work, and Plant's lyrics are some of the deepest. (where was your helping, where was your bow....) I'll go have another listen.............. :stereo:

In Through The Out Door is my second favorite Zep album after Houses of the Holy. I don't know if I can put into words why I love it so much but here goes. The one word I remember hearing about ITTOD before I ever bought it was how "different" it was compared to other Zep albums. ITTOD is indeed "different" compared to the heavy bluesness of the first two albums or even the untitled fourth album, but what I came to appreciate about Zeppelin over time was how "different" alot of their latter days output was compared to their earlier work.

Frankly, I don't think Zeppelin would've been as great as they were if every album sounded the same. As for ITTOD, I love the much carped about use of synthesizers/keyboards/piano that's prevalent throught the record. To me it adds a dimension that was lacking from their previous album Presence, not that I'm knocking Presence, it's a great album in its own right, just a little one dimensional imo.

From the opening of In The Evening, to the closing moments of I'm Gonna Crawl and that blistering solo by Page, ITTOD proves to be a very worthy entry in the Zep catalog. And for me, Carouselambra is in my top five as far as Zep songs go. Thinking about it, if I had to make one change, I probably would swap South Bound Saurez for Darlene. Not that I don't like SBS, but to me it's my least favorite track of the album. I'll just wrap this up by saying I think ITTOD is a masterpiece and shows that times change and so do many great artists over the course of their careers. Led Zeppelin was no different.

Yes. :thumbsup:

Not much I can add to either post, except to say that I wouldn't swap "Southbound Saurez" for "Darlene". "Southbound" has a swinging groove that is infectious and a short, sharp, punk-inflected guitar solo. And I swoon at the "sha la la la las" at the end.

The only ITTOD outtake on Coda that is worthy of inclusion, in my opinion, is "Wearing and Tearing".

Frankly, ITTOD is fine the way it is...but that doesn't stop me from salivating at the thought of the expanded edition Jimmy has planned for us next year.

Not much I can add to either post, except to say that I wouldn't swap "Southbound Saurez" for "Darlene". "Southbound" has a swinging groove that is infectious and a short, sharp, punk-inflected guitar solo. And I swoon at the "sha la la la las" at the end.

Frankly, ITTOD is fine the way it is...but that doesn't stop me from salivating at the thought of the expanded edition Jimmy has planned for us next year.

+1 on both of these comments!!!!

The only comment I will add to this great thread covering a GREAT Zep album is: I never understood why I'm Gonna Crawl:

1. wasn't rehearsed and played at the four 1979 shows

2. wasn't rehearsed and played on the 1980 European tour

3. wasn't included in the O2 reunion as at the very least, a single representation of ITTOD for that concert (I would have added this and ITE)

Bonzo was right, this might be one of Robert's best vocal recordings for Zep. This song was played fantastically when I saw Jason's JBLZE on the initial US tour. And for me personally, I rank this higher than Tea For One off Presence, as the successor to SIBLY.

Long time reader, first time poster here.

ITTOD is actually my second favorite Zep album after Physical Graffiti. I love both albums for the same reason: Variety. Both albums cover the waterfront when it comes to styles. Zeppelin open with the classic heavy rock stomp of In The Evening, tackles latin rhythms on South Bound Saurez, pop on Fool in the Rain, rockabilly on Hot Dog, Prog Rock on Carouselambra, then there is a ballad with All My Love and, of course, blues on I'm Gonna Crawl.

I've always thought that Page's playing on this album was brilliant! The solo on In The Evening is terse and ominous and then Bonham's scattershot drumming and JPJ's propulsive piano supports a great Page riff and solo. Fool In the Rain has one of my all time favorite Page solos and Hot Dog, while not the most serious recording the band ever made, has some tasty licks from Jimmy.

Carouselambra has all of those thunderous chords and I love Page's slashing chord work over that Bonzo slam on the outro. Then there is the lovely classical guitar on All My Love and that gut wrenching, emotional solo on I'm Gonna Crawl to close out the record. Is Jimmy's guitar in your face as it had been in the past? Nope. But if you listen, there is plenty to love about what he brings to the record.

I bought this in 1979. 16 years old and had discoverd Zep about a year prior to that with IV. They've been my favorite band since. I don't listen to them as much as I once did as I've discovered lots of other artists (too many probably) but there is still not much that can match the power, mystery and Hammer of the Gods mayhem that Zeppelin has.

Bill

I've always thought ITTOD was underrated. I LOVE Fool in the Rain, All of My Love and I'm Gonna Crawl. I really like In the Evening, Southbound Suarez and Hot Dog. Carouselambra... that one is ok but just doesn't have a timeless sound to it. The keyboards are annoying and repetitive and It sounds like its stuck in 1978. I wish Wearing and Tearing would've been on the album in its stead.

Its unfortunate that they didn't play one song from this album on Celebration Day. I thought for sure they'd at least have In the Evening. Every other album was covered.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

First post here folks. About me: 48 years old. A huge Zeppelin fan for 35 years. Massive LZ collection, and a music enthusiast. I've met Jimmy Page, and Robert Plant; in fact I hung out with Jimmy for an hour, and we spoke one on one. He is a kind and humble man.

I just wanted to comment on ITTOD, from my perspective. I was around when this album was released, and I can say that it was an amazing time for Zeppelin fans, after so much uncertainty. The music scene was going through a massive upheaval, and this album managed to make Led Zeppelin relevant, without selling out, as it were. It was fresh, clean, appropriate, and current, and it grabbed me right away. Some people speak about this album as though it is dated, but it is an artifact of an era, and it was very in keeping with the times. That late 1970's, early 1980's sound has fallen from vogue, but in a few years it too will experience a re-birth, as do all eras of music.

There have been many, many comments about the lyrics of Carouselambra, and how they pertain to Jimmy Page, and others, and I concur, but I have never seen an explanation of the line, "take of the fruit, but guard the seed". In my opinion, that line speaks to friendship. You can take it for granted, but you must always remember to hold it sacred, and guard it. It appears that Robert felt that his friendship had been forsaken in his hour of need, and especially when Karac passed away. By the way, Carouselambra is an epic song, in my humble opinion.

A little something from my personal collection:

001b_zps5d70d6d0.jpg

First post here folks. About me: 48 years old. A huge Zeppelin fan for 35 years. Massive LZ collection, and a music enthusiast. I've met Jimmy Page, and Robert Plant; in fact I hung out with Jimmy for an hour, and we spoke one on one. He is a kind and humble man.

I just wanted to comment on ITTOD, from my perspective. I was around when this album was released, and I can say that it was an amazing time for Zeppelin fans, after so much uncertainty. The music scene was going through a massive upheaval, and this album managed to make Led Zeppelin relevant, without selling out, as it were. It was fresh, clean, appropriate, and current, and it grabbed me right away. Some people speak about this album as though it is dated, but it is an artifact of an era, and it was very in keeping with the times. That late 1970's, early 1980's sound has fallen from vogue, but in a few years it too will experience a re-birth, as do all eras of music.

There have been many, many comments about the lyrics of Carouselambra, and how they pertain to Jimmy Page, and others, and I concur, but I have never seen an explanation of the line, "take of the fruit, but guard the seed". In my opinion, that line speaks to friendship. You can take it for granted, but you must always remember to hold it sacred, and guard it. It appears that Robert felt that his friendship had been forsaken in his hour of need, and especially when Karac passed away. By the way, Carouselambra is an epic song, in my humble opinion.

A little something from my personal collection:

001b_zps5d70d6d0.jpg

Well written and an excellent observation.

I always felt like the the album should of ended with the full version AML. It would have been the perfect goodbye song (even though they didn't know it at the time). I like IGC but it's downer to end a good album.

• 1 month later...

In The Evening - GREAT!

South Bound Saurez - Also good

Fool In The Rain - OK

Hot Dog - Fun but not a great track

Carouselambra - It rocks!

All My Love - A beautiful ballad

I'm Gonna Crawl - A dignified way to bow out. A great track

What I don't understand is why they didn't replace SBS, FITR and HD with Darlene, Ozone Baby and Wearing and Tearing. SBS, FITR and HD seem more like outtakes than the CODA tracks.

• 2 months later...

I always felt like the the album should of ended with the full version AML. It would have been the perfect goodbye song (even though they didn't know it at the time). I like IGC but it's downer to end a good album.

what FULL VERSION of "all of my love " do you speak of?

is their more of it ? ANYONE?

I think they would have had a bunch more great albums. If we examine Page's work on Coverdale&Page for example with Robert's stuff - clearly working together with Jones they would have made more great music together. They most likely would have spaced the time between albums though maybe every 3 to 5 years between albums.

great post ! all true

what FULL VERSION of "all of my love " do you speak of?

is their more of it ? ANYONE?

You can find it on youtube. It has an extended ending and runs on for an additional minute. I like the novelty of an extended version, but I think it really detracts from the song, and I think they got it right on the money when they faded the song out at the end, rather than letting it run on.

Archived