Jimmy Page and Roy Harper

Rumpeller

Yes - in a very emotional and personal 70th birthday concert, Roy was joined first by his son Nick , then by Joanna Newsom ... and then in the penultimate song, Jimmy arrived to play acoustic with him on The Same Old Rock.

IMO have always found that song one of his most significant non-Zep recordings, and to see him play it live and do it such justice was priceless. The atmosphere there was already intense and euphoric .. Jimmy's contribution raised the emotional levels even further.

Just as notable was his gracious and low-key exit - in spite of a rapturous standing ovation .. leaving Roy to end the concert.

Absolutely agree with the hope that it surfaces on YouTube because until I can see it again I'll be pinching myself !

On the way into the auditorium there was a poster / notice with the times for the support and for Roy Harper (I picked one up on the way out). It says "This event is being filmed and photographed. By entering the auditorium you are consenting to be filmed and photographed.". It was definitely being audio recorded.

Just as Truth and beauty said, Jimmy's appearance really raised the level, which was already intense. Joanna Newsom was a bit of a star too. Never seen her before, but I'm glad she just sang with her beautiful voice ... and didn't bring her harp with her.

Happy days. :)

JP-RH-2-MRAE-0511111-1024x768.jpg

Jimmy Page on stage with Roy Harper -Royal Festival Hall London Saturday November 5th 2011. Photo by Michael Rae for TBL.

Roy Harper was joined by Jimmy Page for his 70th birthday concert at the Royal Festival Hall in London last night. They performed a superb version of Same Old Rock

HE LOOKS LIKE A GOD.

Archived