CLINT EASTWOOD is THE MAN!

Strider

Funny what the author of the article Strider posted observed last year ...

How do I love Clint Eastwood? Let me count the ways...

One of the ways is the fact that you can't pigeonhole him...either artistically or politically.

One of the last true GIANTS left in Hollywood. I always see his movies, no matter what. Even though I was disappointed with "Hereafter", I still look forward to see the new one, "J. Edgar" with relish. I've been hearing great things about it for some time. When I do(Antonioni, AFI Film Fest, concerts, book events have been keeping me busy), I'll let you know what I think.

In the meantime, here's a nice little piece that appeared in this past weekend's LA Times:

Clint Eastwood talks politics: Who's the Democrat he voted for?

By Patrick Goldstein November 7, 2011

Clint Eastwood is such a passionate fiscal conservative that when he married his second wife, Dina Ruiz, in 1996, he included her finances in his own personal deficit-reduction campaign. “My wedding present to her was paying off her credit cards,” he told me the other day, using his bungalow on the Warner Bros. lot as a staging area for interviews touting “J. Edgar,” his new film about longtime FBI chief J. Edgar Hoover. When I asked if he’d made any similar offers as, well, an anniversary gift, Eastwood said with a laugh, “No, I told her it was a one-time deal.”

[...]

When it comes to the current crop of Republican presidential candidates, if Eastwood is enthusiastic about anyone, it’s Herman Cain. “I love Cain’s story,” he says. “He’s a guy who came from nowhere and did well, obviously against heavy odds. He’s a doer and a straight-talker, which I don’t see enough of from either party.”

He’s not as bullish on Mitt Romney. As a film icon, Eastwood has been fiercely protective of his image, but he’s not especially enamored by that attitude in a politician. When Eastwood was in Massachusetts in 2002, filming “Mystic River,” Romney was running for governor there. “I saw a lot of him and you have to admit — he looks like a president,” Eastwood recalled with a tone that you’d have to describe as being slyly sarcastic. “I mean, if you were casting a movie where you needed someone to play president, you’d definitely pick him.”

He sounded equally skeptical about Rick Perry. When I suggested that Perry, as a rugged, gun-toting Texan, would probably crave a photo op with Eastwood even more than with Donald Trump, Eastwood said with a shrug, “If he wanted to meet me, he might be a little disappointed.”

[...]

Copyright Los Angeles Times 2011

Clint has a new movie coming out on the 21st. He is a baseball manager I believe? It looks good in the previews. I will go to see it for sure. I hope Clint makes alot more movies and I hope he is with us a long long time.

I think I'll go see this one in the theater.

• 5 years later...
On 6/1/2018 at 1:10 AM, redrum said:

Had to watch this again of the classic, foggy pull away shot.

Funny to think Sinatra was originally cast as Dirty Harry, they even filmed several scenes with him before he quit the role. Also, he could not hold the Model 29 Eastwood brandishes in the movie as it was too heavy for Sinatra.

Damn, old Blue Eye's as Sinatra...NAH.

Edited by IpMan

6 hours ago, IpMan said:

Funny to think Sinatra was originally cast as Dirty Harry, they even filmed several scenes with him before he quit the role. Also, he could not hold the Model 29 Eastwood brandishes in the movie as it was too heavy for Sinatra.

Damn, old Blue Eye's as Sinatra...NAH.

I didn't know that. Too much gun for Frank. Yeah, a snubby would be more his style. I always liked when Scorpio tells Harry to show the gun and he says: My.....That's a big one!' 😄

14 hours ago, redrum said:

I didn't know that. Too much gun for Frank. Yeah, a snubby would be more his style. I always liked when Scorpio tells Harry to show the gun and he says: My.....That's a big one!' 😄

The character actor who played Scorpio also played Garak on Deep Space Nine and was one of, if not thee best actor of the whole series.

9 hours ago, IpMan said:

The character actor who played Scorpio also played Garak on Deep Space Nine and was one of, if not thee best actor of the whole series.

Andy Robinson. He was great in 'Charlie Varrick' too. Directed by Don Siegel.

• 1 year later...