The quit smoking thread.

reswati

Good luck to you april_lynn the fact that you went 5 1/2 months should be a walk in the Park this time..Keep us posted..

Thank you very much! I hope so, before then I could only make it a day or so, so I guess I know now I don't really need it, it's just hard when I'm driving anywhere. Thanks again, I will! :)

• 4 months later...

It's time for me to quit smoking, been doing it for too long, since 93'. The next time it's time to buy cigarettes I plan on getting e-cigs. I really don't like opening up about this kind of stuff but I can't screw around anymore.

Edited by luvlz2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
5 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Just gave away a full carton of cigarettes because I'm quitting today for good.

I gave up ciggies 14yrs ago now. Took me about 7 years to finally quit and I only could quit as we started trying for kids - and I wasn't going to be the dad who smokes. Fuck that.

I'll tell you what helped me quit though.....

I used to work for an absolute cancerous, poisonous bitch. She was my supervisor and sometimes I'd practically go home in tears. She would absolutely verbally hammer me like a maniac - full screaming (she had "personal issues" - complaints to our manager were met with sympathy, but deal with it). So, in order to help myself I made a bet with her.

'I'll give you $100 if I have another smoke." She gleefully accepted thinking I'd cave. I never did. Fucked if I ever was going to give that mole a red cent. It made quitting heaps easier as even if I really felt like one and I was out clubbing (back in the day) I knew I'd be forking a cool hungie over to her. I really was never tempted (as I absolutely would have honoured the bet).
So motivation - I quit not to be "that Dad" - as well as consequence - worked for me.

The good news is, after 6 months or so (and time FLIES these days) even the second hand smell of smokes is enough to make you think eeew - never again. It really does smell like a chemical plant once you stop.

Best of luck my friend. Keep yourself busy, boredom can lead to cravings.

Edited by rm2551

On 6/29/2018 at 12:34 AM, rm2551 said:

I gave up ciggies 14yrs ago now. Took me about 7 years to finally quit and I only could quit as we started trying for kids - and I wasn't going to be the dad who smokes. Fuck that.

I'll tell you what helped me quit though.....

I used to work for an absolute cancerous, poisonous bitch. She was my supervisor and sometimes I'd practically go home in tears. She would absolutely verbally hammer me like a maniac - full screaming (she had "personal issues" - complaints to our manager were met with sympathy, but deal with it). So, in order to help myself I made a bet with her.

'I'll give you $100 if I have another smoke." She gleefully accepted thinking I'd cave. I never did. Fucked if I ever was going to give that mole a red cent. It made quitting heaps easier as even if I really felt like one and I was out clubbing (back in the day) I knew I'd be forking a cool hungie over to her. I really was never tempted (as I absolutely would have honoured the bet).
So motivation - I quit not to be "that Dad" - as well as consequence - worked for me.

The good news is, after 6 months or so (and time FLIES these days) even the second hand smell of smokes is enough to make you think eeew - never again. It really does smell like a chemical plant once you stop.

Best of luck my friend. Keep yourself busy, boredom can lead to cravings.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Today marks the first full week of me quitting cigarettes with no patches, sprays, gum, mints or anything, just quit cold turkey. So I think I will celebrate with a cold turkey sandwich!

Edited by luvlz2

12 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Today marks the first full week of me quitting cigarettes with no patches, sprays, gum, mints or anything, just quit cold turkey. So I think I will celebrate with a cold turkey sandwich!

Good stuff mate. Hold on to why you quit and how potent that is/was to you. Remember when you next put a ciggy to your lips what it really means. Then you'll be fine.

Be honest with yourself.

Go for a jog.

Go for a drive and put on a mad Zep boot.

Just give yourself space to choose "option B"

Edited by rm2551

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Though I still have cravings, haven't touched a cigarette since June 28, 2018.

It will get less and less. And if you're anything like me, eventually the smell of ciggy smoke will make you think how the hell did I ever like that shit. Then you pretty much don't look back.

Good luck to you sir!

I used to smoke a bit while in college but I somehow, never got addicted or anything. Max: 2 to 3 cigarettes a week, just to keep a friend company. Smoking was alright but I would much rather relax with a beer or two. The habit ceased the moment I left college. That friend used to smoke quite a bit but he has now given up the habit, ever since his son was born.

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

• 5 months later...