Professionally filmed Led Zeppelin concerts

Geezer

haven't visited that site in years... thank you Badgeholder. It wasn't so long ago that a few of these were just wishful thinking with no evidence...

For Houston and Zurich the cameras would not be in pictures unless someone was taking pictures of the walls or up above. My heart skipped a beat and I remember where I was when I heard that Earl's Court was out.

Dallas Knebs, Zurich has no proven evidence. Again, it's just a rumor. Houston is a more wide known rumor, but people AT THE SHOW said the video screens were not in action. Have you seen photos from Pontiac? They clearly have crew members on the stage. Same with Atlanta 1973, which hasn't surfaced yet. I'd love to see a properly filmed 1973 show.

Dallas Knebs, Zurich has no proven evidence. Again, it's just a rumor. Houston is a more wide known rumor, but people AT THE SHOW said the video screens were not in action. Have you seen photos from Pontiac? They clearly have crew members on the stage. Same with Atlanta 1973, which hasn't surfaced yet. I'd love to see a properly filmed 1973 show.

Maybe with pontiac they wanted to release a live dvd performance and felt the need to use camera man for better shots... It's very possible that the houston show was also recorded through cameras from the upper wings that would not be available to the audience.

Would be really cool to have a properly recorded 1973 show indeed. I always thought that Zepp should just take the fantasies out and release a three DVD set with the three MSG shows from 1973.

Edited by magerogue

It's very possible that the houston show was also recorded through cameras from the upper wings that would not be available to the audience.

I've been saying this for months, but nobody has been listening to me as far as I can see. Have a look at this video:

The same venue. Filmed from the upper left wing.

Edited by Geezer

As far as closed circuit footage goes, it's a matter of backtracking to who worked video at the arena. I wouldn't be surprised if Richard Cole had clipped cables before the show. A lot of CCTV footage was secretly recorded in the late 70s-early 80s, and all they could do was hope the tour manager turned a blind eye to it going on.

I think the problem of more footage not coming out has to do with people worried Led Zep's lawyers are going to come after them and just take them, or they're asking for way too much money, so some people are just going to sit on what they have. I just think if someone has something that good, they should just circulate clips from the concert..

I think Page has tried to find every possible existing piece of footage for his archives, and he probably has no idea what else could be out there.

Maybe with pontiac they wanted to release a live dvd performance and felt the need to use camera man for better shots... It's very possible that the houston show was also recorded through cameras from the upper wings that would not be available to the audience.

Would be really cool to have a properly recorded 1973 show indeed. I always thought that Zepp should just take the fantasies out and release a three DVD set with the three MSG shows from 1973.

The whole idea of the fantasies was to fill the gaps in the live footage. The camera crew was rather baked at MSG.

Geezer, yes, but two years ago. The Rover, a member here who was actually at the Houston show, said that the screens were NOT in use.

Pontiac was used only for the people who couldn't see in the back. Seattle, Earls Court, and Knebworth were shot the same way.

Edited by ledzepfilm

Definitely. Sorting and syncing the footage they shot is an absolute nightmare.

Which is why it would never see the light of day (officially). Regular fans would have no desire to watch choppy incomplete footage. Perhaps in some sort of mega boxset.

Geezer, yes, but two years ago. The Rover, a member here who was actually at the Houston show, said that the screens were NOT in use.

I remember someone saying that the CCTV monitors in the lobby/concession area may have been in use. I don't remember if it was in reference to a Zeppelin show or if it was said about another show at the Summit. I think it's in the Houston thread.

Which is why it would never see the light of day (officially). Regular fans would have no desire to watch choppy incomplete footage. Perhaps in some sort of mega boxset.

You haven't watched that 1975 Who DVD, have you? It looks like shit, it sounds like it, and, hell, it's choppy all over the place - it was released to masses.

There might have been some things in the Bill Graham vaults. They had a one camera video used for the Hendrix Band of Gypsys shows. There was video shot for the 1977 Day on the Green, and the Frampton/Skynyrd show was the only thing they've released.

I did see this recently though,it's mostly audience footage with some stage shots of LZ, but it's pretty clear footage.

There's a show from the Houston Summit that Elvis fans were trying to track down from '76 because it was a flat out trainwreck. I'm sure whoever has the mythic Led Zep video also has the Elvis one.

The only evidence that is proof enough is when there is a video in my hand.

However, at least for me, I am not comfortable dismissing totally the information that is available. I can tell for others it makes more sense to dismiss the possibility and declare that specific events were not recorded. Completely understandable.

Regarding Houston, the only thing I can offer personally, first hand is a reporter from KHOU who did two live remote news broadcasts from The Summit during the Led Zeppelin concert told me that the TVs in the concession and common areas were on the entire time at The Summit during the Led Zeppelin concert and during one of the live remotes he intentionally placed himself so that one of the monitors was behind him over his shoulder in the background during his remote. Additionally, David McDavid of Irving, Texas told me that he saw the monitors on in The Summit during the Led Zeppelin concert. Also, through the years more than a few people have said they saw a video of the Led Zeppelin concert in Houston, that it was played during a New Year's eve bash each year. A tape of high quality and impressive audio. The guy with the concert tape in Houston is a high profile former athlete and it would not surprise me if he has the Elvis tape as well. He has a lot of things. Also, personally, I have heard audio from a different source than the one that circulates for Houston. It is stereo and multitrack-ish sounding.

Regarding Zurich, the only thing I can offer personally is a collector in Palm Beach told me this past December that a Zurich video may surface soon as he had been contacted as a possible buyer by a private collector in Montreal. On his iPad he had a :30 seconds sample he was sent for consideration, a source different than what circulates for Zurich. It was stereo, impressive and sounds multitrack-ish.

If I had access to them, they would be public. I have no doubt that people who read this forum know more than what they are sharing, wish they would. I have never understood the not sharing mentality.

However, at least for me, I am not comfortable dismissing totally the information that is available. I can tell for others it makes more sense to dismiss the possibility and declare that specific events were not recorded. Completely understandable.

Regarding Houston, the only thing I can offer personally, first hand is a reporter from KHOU who did two live remote news broadcasts from The Summit during the Led Zeppelin concert told me that the TVs in the concession and common areas were on the entire time at The Summit during the Led Zeppelin concert and during one of the live remotes he intentionally placed himself so that one of the monitors was behind him over his shoulder in the background during his remote. Additionally, David McDavid of Irving, Texas told me that he saw the monitors on in The Summit during the Led Zeppelin concert. Also, through the years more than a few people have said they saw a video of the Led Zeppelin concert in Houston, that it was played during a New Year's eve bash each year. A tape of high quality and impressive audio. The guy with the concert tape in Houston is a high profile former athlete and it would not surprise me if he has the Elvis tape as well. He has a lot of things. Also, personally, I have heard audio from a different source than the one that circulates for Houston. It is stereo and multitrack-ish sounding.

Regarding Zurich, the only thing I can offer personally is a collector in Palm Beach told me this past December that a Zurich video may surface soon as he had been contacted as a possible buyer by a private collector in Montreal. On his iPad he had a :30 seconds sample he was sent for consideration, a source different than what circulates for Zurich. It was stereo, impressive and sounds multitrack-ish.

If I had access to them, they would be public. I have no doubt that people who read this forum know more than what they are sharing, wish they would. I have never understood the not sharing mentality.

Just asking.

Are you saying that the David McDavid that sells cars in the D/FW Metroplex went to and saw Led Zeppelin at the Houston Summit in 1977?

WOW! They don't happen to have a news broadcast archive do they?

WOW! They don't happen to have a news broadcast archive do they?

I contacted the media content manager at KHOU a few months ago and he responded with...

Hi Glyn, I am not able to find any footage from that long ago in my archive searches. Not terribly sure of who would have it either. Sorry we could me of no help but good luck with the search.

This recent Oakland footage shows evidence. I don't see large screens and haven't heard they were there from reliable sources, so it could be PROOF i guess.

-on the new footage, look at the guys at the left hand side of the stage behind the stonehenge wall, on the edge of the stage that can be seen. STAGE RIGHT. (7m.17seconds in). ready for this one? look at (around 7m.25seconds in) the guy in front of the stage aiming something with a handle on the back of it. In front of where the wall for the audience is. The pit, if you will.

how is that not good enough? I've thought this for like 10 years. Look at the FRAMPTON "Do You Feel Like I do" footage and TELL ME WHERE THOSE CAMERAMEN ARE LOCATED. Jeez.

Yes, but that was probably shot for Bill Graham, if it even still exists, and would most likely be in the hands of Wolfgang's Vault.

Should probably be added to the list of possible recordings, although it isn't necessarily "pro shot"

Edited by publicenemy3