• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/24/2018 at 6:05 AM, anniemouse said:

Can someone explain how important Cream magazine is/was.

In the US in the  70s Creem was the cool, hip, goofy alternative to the more mainstream Circus magazine.  Rolling Stone was "serious" and was very critical of the bands that younger kids liked.  Circus was just straightforward fan stuff.  Creem covered the bands teenagers liked and was positive about the music, but in an irreverant, funny style.  They did not take themselves or the music too seriously.  It was fun to read - they poked fun at the bands and the fashions while celebrating the music.  If you liked Mad magazine or Cracked you probably liked Creem.  I wish I had saved my copies.  I think I had every issue from 1973-1977 (through high school).  We all looked forward to each new copy showing up on the newstand.  

Thank you for that. When I was about 12 we had the inkies (NME, Melody Maker) and the pop magazine Smash Hits. I read all three. Smash Hits was by far the funniest and covered all genres of music but also had the ability to take on a more serious tone. Everything from the rise of the video and the indie labels to the rise of censorship in music. All with great photographs and interviews and all done with a daft grin on its face and not taking itself too seriously. It sounds a lot like cream.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...