David Bowie thought Pagey put a curse on him in 1975.

Wolfman

Lol! Better than solo page, yeah okay. I just sampled a bit of it on youtube, the musicianship is definitely dull. I understand the catchy aspect of it though Mel. That kind of 'music' gets forgotten about in time. Same with kanye, coldplay, & all the gaga's. Sorry.

...Sorry, but Outrider left much to be desired - nothing else since. Meanwhile, Bowie has grown and changed over time. Not really an argument on that front...our differing musical tastes are subjective.

Don't you love how someone can be so definitive about major, successful, artists as "easily forgotten" and "rubbish" when their own music remains the proverbial tree falling in the woods....:rolleyes:

Actually its worse because the Monkees made decent pop singles...Bowie made his share of not great albums too but in the overall picture a Gaga comparison is stinging ...Bowie a true legend...except the video of dancing in the Streets...thats when I feel like Bowie and Jagger are cursing us...all of us...that was just painful to watch. If Jimmy's "curse" did that ..well yeah maybe it happened. Makes me want to jump out a window.

I love Bowie. I would kill to see a big collaboration between him and Page - I think it would be pretty fascinating.

Interestingly; it is alleged that Bowie actually learned the main chord progression for 'Space Oddity' (including the Fmaj7) from Page during a session.

He 'stole' it and pretended it was his - harmlessly of course.

Also, Page is actually quite a fan of Bowie (and vice versa I think...).

Jimmy worked as session guitarist on at least one Bowie Single in the 1960's.

so this is a tune Davy Jones (later David Bowie) and The Mannish Boys recorded with session guitar player "little" Jimmy Page ca. 1965. Bowie was and is a big Yardbirds fan, his choice of Mick Ronson as guitar player in the early 70s owes a hellofalot to this guy being able to pull off some Jeff Beck style pyromantics. but don't hold your breath too high for that song, it's not too explosive, rather bluesy:

.Bowie a true legend...except the video of dancing in the Streets...

I so disagree with so much of the above debate that I don't really want to join in it.

Except to say that watching the Dancing in the Streets video for the first time was sheer joy : all that competitive showmanship and a great reversioning of a wonderful song .. there is nothing to match two musical male egos calling a truce( just about) for 3 minutes, and collaborating on that. Just wonderful.

(edited): Now I have just viewed it back and it's delightful in a very 80s way... who was the director and what story must they have to tell ?

Maybe my 80's recollection of it saw it a different way No matter Bowie is a legend and other than some eye shadow occasionally bears no resemblance to Gaga, etc. Maybe that was an attempt at humor but maybe Pagey will be playing on the new Kids reunion tour :)

LOL at your comment, ksgemini! :hysterical: The "Dancing in the Streets" video is pure 80's cheese. Not really sure why they chose to re-make that particular song anyway. I like a lot of David Bowie's stuff from the 70's (the Ziggy Stardust album is amazing, in my opinion), but I will always love Led Zeppelin more!

Actually its worse because the Monkees made decent pop singles...Bowie made his share of not great albums too but in the overall picture a Gaga comparison is stinging ...Bowie a true legend...except the video of dancing in the Streets...thats when I feel like Bowie and Jagger are cursing us...all of us...that was just painful to watch. If Jimmy's "curse" did that ..well yeah maybe it happened. Makes me want to jump out a window.

Actually I just saw it again and it was nice to see people just having fun like that-some cartoon on unintentionally in the background showed it right in the middle of the show the other day-...I can appreciate older disco but get nothing from Rihanna or Beyonce...their "illuminati" slut/princess thing just makes me laugh. I am waiting for the remade SRTS sequence and the man with lantern is...Jay Z(sarcasm) Popular music and I have frifted so far apart...Celebration day was probably the only thing I have bought that charted in years..that and Robert's last couple...looking forward to Patty Griffin's american Kid. OnTopic Bowie is a brilliant performer..thats for sure. I dont pay too much attention doesit have any kind of chart success?

This is a Playboy interview from 1976.

It's from Cameron Crows site-

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/david-bowie-playboy-magazine/

PLAYBOY: Do you remember the first time you got stoned?

BOWIE: On grass? I’d done a lot of pills ever since I was a kid. Thirteen or fourteen. But the first time I got stoned on grass was with John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin many, many years ago, when he was still a bass player on Herman’s Hermits records. We’d been talking to Ramblin’ Jack Elliott somewhere and Jonesy said to me, “Come over and I’ll turn you on to grass.” I thought about it and said, “Sure, I’ll give it a whirl.” We went over to his flat–he had a huge room, with nothing in it except this huge vast Hammond organ, right next door to the police department.

I had done cocaine before but never grass. I don’t know why it should have happened in that order, probably because I knew a couple of merchant seamen who used to bring it back from the docks. I had been doing it with them. And they loathed grass. So I watched in wonder while Jonesy rolled these three fat joints. And we got stoned on all of them. I became incredibly high and it turned into an in-fucking-credible hunger. I ate two loaves of bread. Then the telephone rang. Jonesy said, “Go and answer that for me, will you?” So I went downstairs to answer the phone and kept on walking right out into the street. I never went back. I just got intensely fascinated with the cracks in the pavement.

So JPJ turned Bowie onto pot? And this was long before Zep. I've always said that JPJ was far more interesting back then than rock writers credited him.

Is it true or rumour that Jimmy and Bowie were involved sexually for a while in the late 70's. Not tobe confused with Jagger and Bowies' escapades. I heard that was also invloved with Iggy. Was Jimmy Bi?

Well I guess we can never know everything but I have never heard that one and I thought I'd heard every rock rumor of the 70's...I cant say for sure but I get the impression that was one Crowleyan road jimmy didnt take...altho really its none of my business anyway... as long as the music was there, I never gave things like that much thought.

Is it true or rumour that Jimmy and Bowie were involved sexually for a while in the late 70's. Not tobe confused with Jagger and Bowies' escapades. I heard that was also invloved with Iggy. Was Jimmy Bi?

Whoa! Never heard that one before. Not even from the redneck guys at my high school who routinely sneered at any guy who seemed "soft" or effeminate back then. Now that I think about it, it's interesting that Page and Plant got a pass from these teenage homophobes when you consider their hairstyles, stage clothing and Plant's stage mannerisms. But then, a lot of these guys were Zep fans. Stephen Davis mentioned that Iggy Pop was Page's heroin connection during the 1975 tour in his book "LZ '75".

I Love Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin because of the Great and Timeless Music that They gave to Me and the rest of the world. I could care less about Their Sexuality that was is and has never been any of my business. We all know that all that these Four Great Musicians were and always have been considered "Ladies Men" or "Lady Killers".

However, I do remember one "Plantation" that Robert Plant said after a 25+ minute version of "Moby Dick" (I cannot recall the actual gig) but Robert did make a comment that I will never forget. After Bonzo's solo Robert came back on stage and said that He appreciated the "BlowJob" he received during the break. What surprised me was that He said that the "blowjob" was from Peter Grant.

Whether he was joking or not, I, obviously do not know.

I Love Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin because of the Great and Timeless Music that They gave to Me and the rest of the world. I could care less about Their Sexuality that was is and has never been any of my business. We all know that all that these Four Great Musicians were and always have been considered "Ladies Men" or "Lady Killers".

However, I do remember one "Plantation" that Robert Plant said after a 25+ minute version of "Moby Dick" (I cannot recall the actual gig) but Robert did make a comment that I will never forget. After Bonzo's solo Robert came back on stage and said that He appreciated the "BlowJob" he received during the break. What surprised me was that He said that the "blowjob" was from Peter Grant.

Whether he was joking or not, I, obviously do not know.

Me thinks Plant was both "testing" the audience (Let's see if anyone is actually paying attention to what I say?) AND cranking up the rumor mill to get fans talking. I've always assumed he snogged Peter Grant in public (there's a photo circulating about the Internet) for the same reasons. I also think Plant deliberately played with gender roles as part of his public persona.

Plant was also hanging out with Elton John quite a bit during the mid-70's. Uh oh, you all know what that means? Not a god damn thing!

Who knows if one or more were bi or gay, though that blouse Plant wore + the mannerisms in TSRTS would probably classify him as a transvestite. All I care about is the music. Rock and Roll can get a bit, fuzzy, at times if ya know what I mean. There is that famous Jim Morrison quote where some journalist asked him if he ever had sex with a man, Morrison's reply was something along the lines of, "...who wants to live their life with one arm tied behind their back?" Later it was all but confirmed from several independent sources Morrison was indeed bisexual.

Now if Bonzo turned out to be bi, well that would be some scary shit! Imagine him going all Village People on some poor dude...the scourge of the cruising scene!

Seriously, you don't know if he was kidding?

Btw, it was Vancouver '75....

How could I know if Robert was kidding or not. I was not backstage at this concert so I can't say whether this is true or not. I am only stating what I heard him say after "Moby Dick".

How can you say that He was kidding? Were you backstage at this concert? I really want to believe that Robert was joking, but I can't say that he was or wasn't. Doesn't matter to me anyway. I Love Robert Plant in the most non-sexual way a man can Love another man.

Edited to add: I also Love Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and the late, great John Bonham in the same fashion.

Archived