YOUR FIRST CONCERT

Strider

Aerosmith, Foghat, Ted Nugent, and the Outlaws at the Pontiac Silverdome in the Spring of '76. Aerosmith was disappointing to me, and I never saw them again.

I also saw Leslie West at a small place in Detroit called the Ramona Theatre at right around the same time.

Well, technically, the very first concert I went to was when my dad took me to see Boots Randolph when I was about 10 or 11 (I played saxophone back then).

But as for the first real rock concert?

Tampa, Florida.

June 3, 1977.

The band only played 3 songs because of a massive thunderstorm.

Such is life.

I've written about it a number of times here.

Here's one. Here's another. And one more for good measure.

As I often say, it's still 3 more songs than many people have ever seen.

My dad took me to see the Monkees when I was in fourth or fifth grade. Peter Tork had left the band by then. Lots of screaming girls, but I had a great time.

I just watched their movie 'HEAD' (1968)

Really off the wall and a lot of fun. Some spectacular color effects too and lots of star cameos. It was hilarious when Mickey cold cocked Carol (The Perfect 36) Doda in the boxing ring. :^)

Thanks for all the replies, folks. It's been enjoyable reading all of your responses and the striking thing is that so far, nobody's first concert has been embarrassing. No New Kids on the Block or Loverboy concerts.

I was 17 when my parents finally let me go to concerts. My boyfriend and I got tickets to got the The California Jam on April 6, 1974 at the old Ontario Motor Speedway. That anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks for me. The speedway is no longer there but I have some of the memories of that day. A couple of my girlfriends from high school and my boyfriends brother also went.

Were you the redhead girl in Mickey Mouse ears?

My Big Brother took me to Cal Jam '74. Ontario Motor Speedway may have been a great race track, but it was a terrible place for a concert. And my god, you are right...it was HOT HOT HOT!

My memories of Cal Jam are mostly similar to yours, with a few variations...didn't care for Deep Purple's set all that much, and I remember the Eagles while it is Seals and Crofts that I always forget about, haha. The spinning piano during ELP was simultaneously amazing and ridiculous. I kept hoping that it was secured and wouldn't go flying off and crashing into the audience.

I've always thought the need for Punk arose from this day alone.

My first (and best) concert was Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers at the Shephard's Bush Empire, April 19th, 1999. I was about two feet away from Tom. It was a great first concert and nothing has topped it since. I just wish I could find some footage, but I guess this was before everyone had a phone camera.

My first concert was a rather strange one. I was in the 4th grade and I experienced my first concert in school at the daily school assembly. It was a pretty normal morning with the usual morning prayers, announcements and so on. And then, the principle introduced 4 suprise guests. They were none other than Boney M. The "concert" lasted for about half an hour (from what I can recall). My mom couldn't believe it when I told her about this. She is a massive Boney M fan and it meant a lot to her. I was actually pretty blase about it at the time and quite frankly, I still am! :P I like a couple of Boney M songs like "Rasputin", but that's about it. This happened when I was still living in India before moving to New Zealand. It was a cool experience though! B)

i think the first band i ever saw was sebastion hardie, reggie is probably the only one on here who knows who the hell they are, lol!

but the first band of note that i saw was the amazing ac/dc.

saw them at my little home town hall when they had only just released 2 songs ( i think ), can i sit next to you girl, and baby, please don't go. the crowd was just a few dozen, but they were amazing.

and i got to go backstage and talked to them all, and tried on angus's hat!

great memory.

• 1 month later...

My 1st concert was the Beach Boys in 1981 ?-i think, @ the Westbury Music Fair ( Long Island ) It was a rare show with all original members even, Brian Wilson sitting at a grand piano. Its a small venue about 1100 seats. Great show-all the hits,but sadly the could'nt hit the high notes anymore & left that for the backup singers to do. They could'nt have been more than 40 or so at the time. I walked out into the summer night with a huge buzzing in my ears & a great memory! Hoping to see them next month @ Jones Beach!

Led Zeppelin - Liverpool Stadium November 29 1971

You're a lucky man...I always wished I could have been old enough to see the 1971 tour as that is one of my favourite years of Led Zeppelin. They seemed to be "ON" every night that year...and "Celebration Day" always floors me the way they played it that year, with Jimmy using the double-neck and Jones and Bonham going berserk on the rhythm.

Plus, I believe Liverpool is one of the few times Led Zeppelin played the "Theme from Shaft" during "Dazed and Confused"...am I right? I wish they would have kept the "Shaft" jam a little longer...at least through 1972, so that I could have heard it, hehe.

Yes at the Forum in March of '74. Possibly the "Yessongs" tour? They had the full Roger Dean stage show with all the pods and stuff. Then the next month I too went to the California Jam in Ontario (along with LedZepfvr & Strider) We were late to arrive and I remember being in a crush of people at the gate and hearing Earth Wind and Fire playing "Shining Star" and thinking 'Oh man I wanted to see these guys!'. But my main mission was to fight my way up close and witness Sabbath and Purple back-to-back. I left during ELP, never liked them. Had to witness the spinning piano bit later on 'In Concert'.

Stones at Citrus Bowl, Oct. 25, 1981 with opening acts Joan Jett and Van Halen.

Shidoobee.

Of course you know, the back cover picture on the VH album Diver Down was taken at that show at the Citrus Bowl.

• 7 months later...

"Technically", the first time I ever saw a live performance in person was at a school talent show in...9th grade I believe. Some hardcore drums DSSHHHHHHHH and roaring ARGHHHHHHHHHHH vocals shit, never saw the appeal in hardcore. But my first real concert, bought a ticket for and at an actual venue, was Robert Plant & The Band Of Joy. I remember checking the Brady Theater website at school during 10th grade, me and my friend were pondering about going, and we decided too. Tickets weren't too bad. $70 all together with the base and the fees. While it wasn't really a "rock" concert (I mean it was kinda, but you know what I mean) it really blew me away. And getting to hear the lead singer from my favorite band, sing my favorite bands songs? Fucking awesome. I have some footage that I posted in a separate thread, but the video got taken down for whatever reason. I'm in the process of putting the footage back together and then will repost it. Still need to get that snippet my friend recorded too. Although I may not have the entire concert, I got all of Thank You and Rock And Roll on video, and a few other song snippets. I am very grateful for that, always have that forever. My friend also took a lot of pictures, I'll have to get those too.

I had been to several Rodeo concerts at the Astrodome in Houston, TX ever since about age 5 or 6. Saw Kenny Rogers, Crystal Gayle, and Charley Pride several times, etc.

But my first true rock concert was The Stray Cats with the Bus Boys as the opening act.The concert was played on March 5, 1983. It was at the old Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston, TX- which is where Zep played in '73 and '75- the buildingit was demolished in 1998. I still have my t-shirt and my ticket stub.

Here is a link with details about the venue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Houston_Coliseum

Here are some actual pics from the show.

010667scan4455aaa.jpg

010669scan4447.jpg

010668scan4449aa.jpg

Crap! I have to tell the truth....Journey with Greg Kihn, 1982 (I think) Maple Leaf Gardens Toronto....

It was a buddy of mine who wanted to go so I went with him................................................ I know I just made the story even worse....

Crap! I have to tell the truth....Journey with Greg Kihn, 1982 (I think) Maple Leaf Gardens Toronto....

It was a buddy of mine who wanted to go so I went with him................................................ I know I just made the story even worse....

What is wrong with Journey and Steve Perry? Great band

Archived