LZ songs just you don't like...

DragonTelecaster

Five I don't like at all

bring it on home / ozone baby / hots on for nowhere / walter's walk / can't quit you baby (bbc)

three I only listen to now as instrumentals

going to california / ramble on / over the hills and far away

three more I prefer alternate versions over the studio release

dancing days / houses of the holy / what is and what should never be

On 4/2/2018 at 1:54 AM, frederic said:

Hats off to Harper is a fantastic track, after SIBLY the best track on that record. Its right out of a time machine from 1930.

Thank You. Although I'd put Gallows Pole second.

On 4/2/2018 at 12:03 PM, EaglesOfOneNest said:

The only song I really don't like is "Tea for One". Everything else is gold for me

I think I can officially say this is my least favorite. I know this because I'd rather listen to all the ITTOD outtakes on Coda than Tea For One. I've never been in a mood in 25 years where I could tolerate it. 

On 4/1/2018 at 2:35 PM, Bozoso73 said:

Hats Off

Candy Store Rock

and my least favorite. . Trampled Underfoot

All the rest are playable over and over. . 

Feck me. Trampled Underfoot is storming. I'm in shock! Hey, I remember when it was first played on The Old Grey Whistle Test back in 75. Someone, perhaps Whistling Bob had created a video for it using footage of of some Busby Berkley type film from the early 30's (or late 20's). Man it was a gas. I guess you really had to be there as they say. Actually I think it's on YouTube. One of the best music videos I've ever seen (not counting 'One' from Metallica).

On 4/6/2018 at 8:13 AM, Brigante said:

This!

You are not wrong. Reading about how Jimmy went in to the studio one evening on his own and just layered lick after lick on it. A true guitar symphony. :-)

In My Time Of Dying. It is a decent song but 2-3 minutes too long. Live Robert does his "Jesus" thing and it gets old too quick. As an aside I wished they'd stuck with When The Levee Breaks in concert, a much more entertaining 'delta' song.

On 3/30/2016 at 1:09 AM, sk8rat said:

I understand how someone could dislike most of those but how could you not like gallows pole, sound bound saurez and all of my love? :huh: south bound has jimmy pages most ripping solo ever.

I like hats off but I think "feel so bad" would have probably been more well received had they used it instead.

also there is a version of moby dick without the drum solo on the new remasters.

I had never heard that song, loved it, thanks for sharing!

On 4/9/2012 at 11:57 PM, DragonTelecaster said:

...C'mon, we all have some that you just don't like or won't listen to. I know we're all LZ fans here, but there has to be a few songs on your list.

Here's my list, as much as I hate to admit it:

In no particular order...

• Hot Dog
  • Carouselambra
  • Celebration Day
  • South Bound Suarez (Saurez; mis-spelled on the record label)
  • Tea For One
  • White Summer (can only listen to it a few times before I'm ready to move on to the next song)
  • Out On The Tiles

I know this may rub a few LZ fans raw, but I have to be honest. I love LZ's music, but those are just a few songs of theirs that I just can't listen to. Believe it or not, even D'yer Mak'er doesn't float my boat sometimes.

Fire away!

DT

There are definitely a few that I do not like, including some listed above, as well as some others. But what I love is how I somehow end up liking these tracks too.

I used to just "not get" Hats off to Roy Harper and skipped it for years as a kid (20's). I gave it a listen after skipping it for so long to see if I really should give it a go and absolutely loved it. It's a damn great track and I wonder why the hell I didn't like it previously.

Tea for one I can take it or leave it. I don't dislike it, it just does not move me much. I'll listen to it if listening to the whole of Presence, but it's not what I would call a great album closer. I love it at the start, but it's too long for mine.

your time will come...

the mooching noise behind the music on their tropical hit dyer maker

the extended interlude in whole lotta love

some of the singing on physical grafitti although theres nothing wrong with the music

the nasty gutteral greasy tones on in through the out door sounds like the prelude to a runny dump

On 4/10/2012 at 9:42 AM, Pagesbow said:

I could probably live without The Crunge & D'yer Mak'er, but then again, the drums are so huge that I still listen for that reason...I like some versions more than others, eg The Ocean from Madison Square Garden over the album version; which doesn't quite do it for me. Ditto, Celebration Day from TSRTS over LZ 3.

Everything in their canon has some merit to it, for me. Whereas say, The Beatles, I only really like their post Rubber Soul work...I can appreciate the songcraft of their early work but I don't want to listen to it....

Gosh, I don't know what to say... I like The Crunge and I FREAKIN' LOVE Dyer Maker!

There is one LZ song that most love and I don't care for. I am a bit timid in mentioning it 

I have no great adoration for Hot Dog.  But its meant to be taken with a few grains of salt, and maybe a few shots of whisky.    Think of it like the Rolling Stones' Far Away Eyes.  You have to have a sense of humor about it.  I don't listen to it much, but I don't dislike it.  It has that Texas swing sound to it, and kind of a 50s vibe that LZ obviously enjoyed as evidenced by many of their live reocrdings

Least favorite song from each album:

You Shook Me (seems to last forever, just a lumbering I-IV-V blues)

Moby Dick (cool riff, but drum solos are just not "songs")

Hats Off (almost a required pick for III ☺️)

Four Sticks (although I usually skip Stairway!)

The Crunge

Night Flight (have always hated this song from day one)

Candy Store Rock

Hot Dog

Coda: I Can't Quit You Baby tied with Bonzo's Montreux

On 5/4/2018 at 12:12 PM, Zepfan2001 said:

your time will come...

the mooching noise behind the music on their tropical hit dyer maker

the extended interlude in whole lotta love

some of the singing on physical grafitti although theres nothing wrong with the music

the nasty gutteral greasy tones on in through the out door sounds like the prelude to a runny dump

I've never gotten the widespread dislike for "Your Time Is Gonna Come." It's probably in my top 15. What's weird is that when I got the first album on cassette in 1987, sides one and two were reversed (unbeknownst to me at the time). So to this day I think of "Your Time Is Gonna Come" as the first song on the album. It's still weird to me to pop in the CD and hear "Good Times Bad Times" first!

Archived