LZ songs just you don't like...

DragonTelecaster

always look forward to your observations and posts Strider and your comment about Classic Rock Radio I think is precise.

in the era of iTunes and "tracks" listeners come from a place of micro minutia comsumption

in the era of the LP (in which time all the LZ tracks were crafted) it was about the whole LP. Our FM AOR station played side 2 of LZII every night for years. Album Oriented Rock, not iTunes and LimeWire and Napster. Strider, part of the nuance and artisanship of LZ is the ability to build an entire work of an LP. This was delivered to us via the AOR stations. Additionally, most of us who had IV on 8track didn't ff at all, we simple let the thing play. Same with our turn tables. I took this for granted at the time.

To cut and slice and extract a "track" from the whole ?

I know you remember listening to PG or ITTOD the first time. Wasn't part of the anticipation what's next? And what does that title mean? When I got ITTOD I didn't play it once and then pick out IN THE EVENING and just wear it out. Oh no. The turn table was on side 1 repeat for days. Wore it out, replaced the album and oh crap it's different artwork inside !!! Wait... isn't that water color dots ?!?!?!?

These things I took for granted at the time. :beat:

'Classic rock radio' is a scourge.

One of their best I think...

...totally agree, as a part time musician, I know how musically tough that tune would be to pull off perfectly for a lot of rock bands. It's got the funk. Wish they would have done a couple of more like that one...ciao Rich

I love it too

Someone told me that it's the single Led Zeppelin song where it's only Page & Plant, no Bonzo and JPJ on it. Dunno if that's true

I don't know if it is the ONLY track, but "Hat's Off" does only feature Robert and Jimmy.

I am always endeared immediately to people who like "Hat's Off...", "Boogie with Stu", "Hey Hey What Can I Do", "Down by the Seaside" and others of that ilk. The deep cuts. Not just the radio fodder. It shows creativity, sensitivity and an ability to think outside the box.

I find I am much more likely to get along with someone and share more interests with one who likes those songs than one who prefers "Black Dog" and "Rock and Roll".

I love it too

Someone told me that it's the single Led Zeppelin song where it's only Page & Plant, no Bonzo and JPJ on it. Dunno if that's true

I guess we can agree to disagree about Hat's Off, but I do agree with you on the other songs you mentioned and your sentiment about deeper cuts. It's just that one is not my cup of tea.

Since Led Zeppelin is My Favorite Rock and Roll Band, I have to say that, in all Honesty, Led Zeppelin does not have one song that I do not like. I Love them all. Sure, there are Led Zeppelin songs I prefer a little more than others, but none that I can say that I dislike. How can I dislike any songs from My favorite Group? The majority of all Their songs are Page/Plant compositions, however, all Their songs are played and recorded by Page/Plant/Jones/Bonham.

Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham are (in My opinion) the most Talented Musicians of All-Time. How can these most Talented Musicians Ever produce a bad song?

I don't know if it is the ONLY track, but "Hat's Off" does only feature Robert and Jimmy.

I am always endeared immediately to people who like "Hat's Off...", "Boogie with Stu", "Hey Hey What Can I Do", "Down by the Seaside" and others of that ilk. The deep cuts. Not just the radio fodder. It shows creativity, sensitivity and an ability to think outside the box.

I find I am much more likely to get along with someone and share more interests with one who likes those songs than one who prefers "Black Dog" and "Rock and Roll".

All those songs are great

Love I'm gonna Crawl!

That INXS song 'Never Tear Us Apart' always reminds me of 'I’m Gonna Crawl'

1 - Black Mountain Side

2 - Living Loving Maid

3 - Hats Off to Roy Harper

4 - None

HOH - None

PG - Trampled Underfoot (I will probably be shunned for this, but I have never liked this song), Sick Again

Pres - Candy Store Rock

ITTOD - Carouselambra, South Bound Suarez. Footnote - I love the song In The Evening, but the mix and tone of Robert's vocals really agitate me.

CODA - Walter's Walk, Wearing and Tearing

I get a similar reaction about the mix.

Don't know what the engineers were going for, they struggled with the drum mics and they even messed with taping the traps on Bonham's snare at a few points they were at a loss. New equipment- some mix done at Plumpton (Jimmy's house) others at Polar. The mix always seems like the frequencies are crowded and competing. Production innovations and post recording ingenuity was way streamlined. Technology and technique at the expense of groove and feel I thought- particularly with the drums and vocals. At least Kevin Shirley didn't get a shot at redoing this one.... yet.

ITTOD - ... the mix and tone of Robert's vocals really agitate me.

This data means absolutely nothing but it's interesting to see the numbers. I counted people who said that they disliked or hated a song. People who said that songs were ok, or just not their favorite were not counted.

Most people do not have their profile completely filled out, so age is not able to be calculated.

Same as above

Post Count

32 users (who were counted in the poll) have less than 100 posts

12 users (who were counted in the poll) have more than 1000 posts

Total Percentage of Disliked songs

62% of Led Zeppelin's catalog is mentioned in this thread

In Through The Out Door was the only album to have each track mentioned

Entire Album Dislikes

4 people said they dislike Coda as a whole

3 people said they dislike In Through the Out Door as a whole

Albums Ranked Most to Least Disliked (total number of dislikes)

Coda - 69 (containing four total dislikes - 12 tracks x 4)

In Through the Out Door - 67 (containing three total dislikes - 7 tracks x 3)

Led Zeppelin III - 22

Houses of the Holy - 21

Presence - 17

Physical Graffiti - 13

Led Zeppelin II - 9

Led Zeppelin I - 6

Led Zeppelin IV - 5

Songs Ranked Most to Least Disliked

13 Hot Dog

13 Hats off to Roy Harper

10 Dyer Maker

10 Carouselambra

8 South Bend Suarez

7 Candy Store Rock

6 Livin' Lovin Maid

6 Fool in the Rain

4 Walters Walk

4 Ozone Baby

4 All My Love

3 Trampled Under foot

3 Tea For One

3 Royal Orleans

3 Rain Song

3 Out on the Tiles

3 I'm Gonna Crawl

3 Hots On For Nowhere

3 Darlene

3 Dancing Days

3 Boogie With Stu

3 Black Mountain Side

2 You Shook Me

2 Wearing and Tearing

2 The Crunge

2 Rock and Roll

2 Poor Tom

2 Moby Dick

2 Misty Mountain Hop

2 In The Evening

2 Friends

2 celebration day

2 Bonzo's Montreux

1 White Summer

1 Traveling Riverside Blues

1 The Wanton Song

1 The Song Remains the Same

1 The Ocean

1 That's The Way

1 Thank You

1 Since I've Been Loving You

1 Over The Hills and Far Away

1 Nobody's Fault But Mine

1 Night Flight

1 Kashmir

1 In The Light

1 I Can't Quit You Baby

1 Houses of the Holy

1 Hey Hey, What Can I Do

1 Down By the Seaside

1 Custard Pie

1 Black Dog

1 Baby Come On Home

After reading every single post on this thread and giving deep thought as to which songs in the Led Zeppelin catalogue I dislike, I can safely say that there is not a single song in that catalogue which I dislike. Every time I listen to songs such as “Hats off To (Roy) Harper” and “Black Mountain Side” (for instance), I am always stunned by Led Zeppelin’s creativity and versatility. Led Zeppelin to me was a band which showcased so many genres and not just hard rock. That’s what made them so special in my book! Strangely enough, songs such as “Hats off To (Roy) Harper”, “Out On The Titles”, “Down By The Seaside”, "In The Light", "Fool In The Rain" “You Shook Me”, “Friends” and “Boogie With Stu” (which some of you have mentioned as the songs you dislike) are just some of the songs from the Zep catalogue which I personally will never ever get tired of listening to! They are just too damn special you know? ;) Works of art, if you ask me! :) These songs (for me personally) are right up there with killer tunes such as “Dazed And Confused”, “Achilles Last Stand” and “The Rain Song”.

D'yer Mak'er, Down By The Seaside, The Crunge ( love it live though ) , South Bound Suarez. Not big on Bonzo's Montreux either. Always thought it was a work in progress that was recorded long before John Bonham wanted it to be recorded

22 dislikes for LZ 3..surprises me I also like Coda with the extra trax more than ITTOD...whoever said it is right It's all good and it's true about what generation one is from... TSRTS and Presence were the first albums I got as new releases...then bought all the others asap

Archived