Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Armani

Led Zeppelin's best live performance

12 minutes ago, AchillesLastBand said:

CliffIO,

Yes- 5/3/71 in Copenhagen.

I'm new to the forum but fairly well-versed in live Zep, official and bootleg. I just discovered this show today, and I've never heard Plant sing this well!! Not only does he tear up the "IV" material (and all the older material), hitting all the album high notes, he actually sings HIGHER vocal lines in parts of some songs (e.g., "Rock And Roll" ). 

Are there any other recordings of shows including "IV" material where he sings so well?

ALB

Welcome to the forum ALB! I like your username! :) 

In addition to 5/3/71 Copenhagen, shows where Plant sings the IV material very well include 3/5/71 Belfast (Best. Black. Dog. Ever), 8/7/71 Montreux, and 8/21/71 Los Angeles. Sadly, the latter show is often considered to be the point where Plant's vocal decline began. You can hear him tearing his vocal cords up and pushing his voice to the limit on nearly every song. Nonetheless, he kicks ass on Rock and Roll in particular.

None of the shows mentioned above have great recordings, but if you can stomach them, they're great shows overall.

Cheers!

Listening to 3/5/71 Belfast. Great so far- actually I can hear all the instruments better than Copenhagen.

I haven't checked out Montreux yet, but as you said, at the Forum you can hear Plant straining and it just doesn't sound as good to me. Copenhagen and Belfast (so far) have been a revelation :-) .

ALB