The Journey Thread!

3 hours ago, The Rover 75 said:

They don't appeal to me either, I saw Van Halen open for them during VH's fist tour, we did not stay for the end of Journey's set, there was no point to it.

Well after VH ripped it up, who would stay?!?  Awesome that you saw them (VH) that early on! ✌?️

On 4/25/2012 at 8:43 PM, Mudslider said:

Yeah, the first LP.....good.....then crap and more crap..and selling out to 80's girly rock scene.

I agree. Their first couple of albums were very good and better than anything they put out with Perry (although Journey with Steve Perry is a guilty pleasure of mine). It's a shame they changed their style to get more sales. Their early stuff was intense:

They did try to go back into prog one last time with Perry. It's a shame they just went back to pop rock:

Yes, Journey could be a bit cheesy at times but, sometimes I want cheese.  I attended one of their concerts back in 1983.  Steve Perry's singing was on point and he was backed by a solid, and tight band.  Together they put on a damn fine show.   What more could I ask?     

On 12/21/2016 at 6:59 PM, Walter said:

Well after VH ripped it up, who would stay?!?  Awesome that you saw them (VH) that early on! ✌?️

Yeah it was, to top it off it was a general admission show, so we ran to the side where Eddie would be & parked ourselves right there. B)

In all fairness to Journey, they were very popular at the time, it was just a poor choice to have VH open for them.

Similar to bands that had the mighty Zep open for them.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow 😳 

Two members (drummer Steve Smith and bassist Ross vallory) from Journey have been terminated from the group this week (Tuesday) due. to attempting to take the band name / coup. The three remaining members are seeking replacements touring musicians for this summer as they hit the road w The Pretenders. People are wondering if Deen Castronova (former drummer) will return. 

R😎

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Strider said:

Good. They'll be too busy in courtrooms to pollute the world with their pussy rock.

:hysterical:

Please tell us how you really feel 😉

I really like their first three albums without Perry, really strong prog rock without becoming too pretentious like Yes or ELP. Judas Priest would be seriously influenced by both early Journey & early Styx believe it or not. Sad Wings of Destiny & Sin After Sin lift heavily from early Journey and the Styx Equinox album.

Perry is one of the top 5 rock singers hands down and he is a truly nice guy. I liked their stuff up to Departure and they had some good tunes on Escape, Frontiers, and Raised on Radio but they are the tunes that never got airplay. Mother Father off of Escape is a really good tune and Back Talk off of Frontiers is wacky fun.

• 2 years later...