VAN HALEN!

Toronto Zeppelin

So EVH said he doesn't like the way DLR does not act his age and tries to act "young", but I think it's cool the way he (DLR) does that and this will be my first time seeing Van Halen with DLR on vocals so I'm stoked.

Edited by luvlz2

Man the dysfunctionality in that band is just amazing....

The inability of the four original Van Halen guys to make peace upsets me more than whatever friction has surfaced over the years between the three surviving Led Zeppelin members.

Led Zeppelin endured a lot over the course of their existence...accidents, deaths, bloody fights, drug addictions, divorces, out-of-control behavior all-around...especially from Robert's perspective. So I can understand why it is hard for those guys to get on the same page and act like it is the 1970s all over again, particularly when an important member of the band has been deceased for 35 years.

But Van Halen has no such excuse...all of them are still alive and it's only their petty egos that are getting in the way. They spent 20 years beefing with David Lee Roth and then when they finally make peace with Roth, all of a sudden it's Michael Anthony that's out of favour with Eddie Van Halen. What the fuck, fellas?!?

At this point, it is almost too late even if somehow EVH wakes up and gets Michael Anthony back in the fold. Because DLR's voice is shot beyond belief. The 2008 tour was actually pretty good vocally for Roth. But everything I have heard from the latest tour is just painful to listen to. Which is a shame when I think what a force of nature this band used to be in concert from 1977 to 1982. They even had moments in 1983 and 1984, although the cheese (and the friction) was beginning to smell.

There was no other band, then or now, that gave a concert quite like Van Halen in their prime, simply because the band was on fire and there was no wasted motion...no longueurs...and DLR was an unparalleled master-of-ceremonies. Yeah, he borrowed from earlier front men like Black Oak Arkansas' Big Jim Dandy and Mick Jagger, but he perfected and supercharged everything with his blond Californian athleticism and swagger. No, he didn't have the vocal chops of a Robert Plant or Ann Wilson, but he was good enough for rock and roll...he had a nice warm, bluesy growl. And he could howl and scream like crazy..."On Fire" being a great example. It peeled your ears back.

Alas, that Dave is long gone.

There was no other band, then or now, that gave a concert quite like Van Halen in their prime, simply because the band was on fire and there was no wasted motion...no longueurs...and DLR was an unparalleled master-of-ceremonies. Yeah, he borrowed from earlier front men like Black Oak Arkansas' Big Jim Dandy and Mick Jagger, but he perfected and supercharged everything with his blond Californian athleticism and swagger. No, he didn't have the vocal chops of a Robert Plant or Ann Wilson, but he was good enough for rock and roll...he had a nice warm, bluesy growl. And he could howl and scream like crazy..."On Fire" being a great example. It peeled your ears back.

Alas, that Dave is long gone.

Van Halen in their prime were great, but I'd rate Kiss or Guns n' Roses in theirs as equally great, if not better. Absolutely agree about DLR...his voice is long gone.

It's quite amazing how much David's voice has gone. He has almost no range left.

It's also amazing that out of so many famous Rock singers, Robert Plant's went very soon, but he learned and adapted his voice (eg if a song required to sing in higher pitch, he would sing in lower pitch).

David is trying to hit his old range, but just sounds out of breath most of the time.

Van Halen plays in London Ontario in August at the Western Fair District ..The Fair is not on but the management is trying to start a concert series...

The show will be held rain or shine..The tickets are fairly expensive..if I can sit in the grandstand to watch the show I may go...I will not make the decision till the day of the show..I will not travel to London if it's raining and/or hot and humid...

Even though there's a comment that David's voice is not the same..I would still like to hear him and the band...

Juliet with fingers crossed for good weather and one ticket left on the day of the show!!!! :fan:

Van Halen plays in London Ontario in August at the Western Fair District ..The Fair is not on but the management is trying to start a concert series...

The show will be held rain or shine..The tickets are fairly expensive..if I can sit in the grandstand to watch the show I may go...I will not make the decision till the day of the show..I will not travel to London if it's raining and/or hot and humid...

Even though there's a comment that David's voice is not the same..I would still like to hear him and the band...

Juliet with fingers crossed for good weather and one ticket left on the day of the show!!!! :fan:

I wish you luck, Juliet.

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite amazing how much David's voice has gone. He has almost no range left.

It's also amazing that out of so many famous Rock singers, Robert Plant's went very soon, but he learned and adapted his voice (eg if a song required to sing in higher pitch, he would sing in lower pitch).

David is trying to hit his old range, but just sounds out of breath most of the time.

I agree. I posted earlier that he seems to always be out of breath, from the opening song to the last.

Eddie on the other hand, seems to have matured like a fine wine. I am not sure I have ever heard him sound better, play better, or more inventive. Keep going EVH!

Review of the KC show:

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/back-to-rockville/article28391317.html

Shameless and Voiceless Roth kind of summarizes it.

Watching Eddie play, he is becoming Jeff Beck. Very business like, not a lot of running and jumping and flash, but MAN can he play!

Van Halen in their prime were great, but I'd rate Kiss or Guns n' Roses in theirs as equally great, if not better. Absolutely agree about DLR...his voice is long gone.

Sorry man, to mention Kiss in the same breath as GNR or VH is sacrilegious. The talent level in Kiss, on a scale of 1 to 10 is prob 3. Put on a great visual show, but the musicianship is at best, very mediocre.

Slash in GNR was pretty amazing when they first arrived on the scene. The drums in Paradise City are some of the most "Bonham-like" for power that were on the radio in that time frame. All in my opinion, of course! I was a Kiss fan back in the day, they were def huge.

Was anyone in G n R known for their musicianship? I don't think so. Is anyone in Van Halen not named Eddie known for their musicianship? I don't think so. BUT as a live act and a rock n' roll phenomena in their prime I rate them all at least an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. We don't have to agree.

Hi Steve:-)

Just my two cents but when I saw VH live back in the day. EVH on guitar on a scale of 1-10...TOTALLY a 10. I was front row at a few concerts and EVH was beyond amazing! :guitar_mood:

Kiss to me was a lot of flare, but live maybe a 4 out of 10. Like you said we don't have to agree as music is a personal experience. :peace:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone:

Well ..today's the day..I'm setting off for London to see Van Halen..I called Western Fair District and there were still tickets available (as of yesterday)

My one concern is it's a bit windy..I don't think it's bad enough to blow any stage stuff over

Juliet :rollin:

Good Morning:

I enjoyed the concert....it would have been nice if there had been big screens.

Juliet

That's nice. I guess the wind died down? Were you pretty far back? Still debating going to Hollywood Bowl show or not...my little nephew is into Van Halen and AC/DC and has expressed interest in going. Goldstar has Van Halen tickets for less than face value and the Bowl has four big video screens situated around the venue.

Steve: Thanks for your posts/videos...

Strider, Steve and all: It was an absolutely beautiful summer evening in London Ontario I had a general admission ticket. I started out by standing at the back while Kenny Wayne Shepard (opening act) played.I was able to move closer to the stage when VH started. I don't really like being boxed in so I walked closer to the right side of the stage ( my right..stage left)..I saw David Lee, Eddie and Wolfgang very well..I could not see Alex at this time..I heard a few songs. David seemed in top form as did Eddie and Wolfgang.Some of Eddie's solos were amazing. Alex did a solo also.

I walked back to an area where I could see the whole stage. By this time it was getting a bit cold.I was looking for a coffee booth...none available...I did buy a souvenir...a guitar pic necklace...that I will treasure forever

Here's the Western fair District FB page with great pics http://www.facebook.com/westernfairdistrict/

Juliet :wave:

Edited by Juliet

I watched those videos and eddie van halen is playing great. One of the things that was interesting was during unchained, the person w the camera turned back to the crowd and wow did they seem subdued...for unchained too. I saw robert plant last summer and the crowd seemed quiet also. Idk, from the 80s and 90s, i remember crowds being much more raucous. I know people are taking their kids to rock shows more these days...but the mediocre crowd responses make me think we are seeing the last great dinosaurs of hard rock bands.

In fact with hip hop, rap and country music...and country hybrid, hard rock/hip hop pop....i do not even know where hard rock is, in the culture these days.

With the video response of sammy hagar, van halen wins the wrestling mentality of rock band drama. Its like they are 2 bands and can have their 2 different reunion status's. How can ya not remember the serious tone of eddie and alex addressing the time when dlr took the mic from beck at an awards show. Its funny, its like marketing and everyone from, sabbath, zep, aerosmith etc are doing this stuff with the rock media. A few months ago, i saw an interview with joe perry promoting his book and he was voicing annoyance or so called anger with steven tyler singing with page, jones and jason back in 08. With simple reality tv show drama, they are keeping people buying rock magazines interested on that level. Much easier than stories of drug abuse and worshipping the devil i suppose.

This kind of stuff is priceless to me and I am more pumped about seeing them next month than I have been for any concet in a while. I don't care if his voice is not as good as it used to be, and I love the ad lib stuff that DLR does.

Edited by luvlz2

i'm a new fan to the band, and this might be common knowledge, but is there a particular reason why Eddie doesn't use his striped guitars anymore? I know one of them is buried with Dimebag Darrell, not sure about the other ones though.

Also Van Halen is coming to Rock band 4.

Some of them are literally falling apart.

Eddie custom built a (striped) guitar for each of Van Halen's American tour a few years back. He would play the guitar then auction off each guitar on ebay after each show (w/photos of him playing the guitar). His main guitar for quite a few years now is the Wolfgang model he designed for Fender.

Edited by sixpense