Snowblind (3/20/75 Vancouver - Previously Unreleased SB

bluesunday

Based on what I've been able to listen to so far (about half of disc 1 and half of disc 3), IMHO this is a great show. So glad it's out!

Now, that, said, the music might or might not be compressed - in other words, the soft parts might not have been turned up relative to the loud parts. But this sucker definitely is brick walled - in other words, all the music has been turned up, so that the loudest parts get clipped (go above 0dB and therefore become distorted at the digital level).

Here's the first five minutes of Whole Lotta Love - and every other track looks pretty much the same. The red lines are instances of clipping.

7191762006_9b7691fbbe_b.jpg

^^^^

Ouch!

I noticed how LOUD it is as soon as I started listening to it; had to immediately get up and turn the stereo down! Doesn't sound distorted or anything, but methinks someone is going to have clean it up a bit soundwise (and, no, I'm not volunteering, chances are I'll give this soundboard one listen and stick with the audience recording as usual :lol: )

For those who like to do their own tweaking - and who aren't purists about hearing the "raw tape" - I recommend the following two steps:

(1) Attenuate the entire thing by about 3dB. It doesn't undo the clipping of course, but it gives you some "headroom" for the next step.

(2) Apply some tasteful reverb - I use 20%, on the large-hall setting in Audacity. It gives the entire thing more ambience, and really helps out Plant's voice (which even on a good night like this, sounds a bit harsh without the natural hall reverb the audience would've heard). And in the case of a brickwalled source like this, the reverb setting adds some dynamic texture - the post-reverb waveform doesn't have that "flat-top haircut" look to it.

As I say, you can't undo clipping (except with clip-repair software - but there's a hell of a lot to try to repair here). But you can easily make this source sound less "loud" and more naturally ambient.

Just for everyone's edification: Yes, Plant says "pugnant" instead of "pungent" with reference to the vapours heading his way - this is not (as chs over at R-O claims) a mistake; "pugnant" is indeed a word, the OED listing it as a (now rare) adjective meaning "Hostile, conflicting, opposed, repugnant," the last of which it is obviously etymologically related to.

(Nerd alert! I'm not a member over at R-O, so I couldn't defend his choice of words there. :P)

Well Plant obviously meant 'pungent' - do you really think an arch stoner like him would find the smell of grass/hash unpleasant, which is what the extremely unusual & archaic 'pugnant' implies?

I've heard Plant misuse words many times before. In the nicest possible way, he's actually not quite as intelligent as he'd like us to believe.

Assuming he did misspeak, that does not imply lack of intelligence. Depending on what he was on that night, he might have found it upsetting - how are we to know? (My main beef was the fact that chs was talking out of his ass when he said that it "wasn't a word.")

Enjoying the effects of a drug doesn't mean one has to like how it smells...weed can be notoriously gross, after all.

I've heard Robert say 'sweet smell' on a bootleg, can't remember what it is off the top of my head. He would have been meaning pungent, I've smoked a lot of weed and I've yet to meet someone who likes getting baked that doesn't like the smell of it.

I've heard Robert say 'sweet smell' on a bootleg, can't remember what it is off the top of my head. He would have been meaning pungent, I've smoked a lot of weed and I've yet to meet someone who likes getting baked that doesn't like the smell of it.

Robert makes his 'sweet smell' remark on the June 21 '77 show, after "Sick Again".

Even better on this March 20 '75 show is when he admits he was tripping his balls off when they played Van in 1973! The papers claimed it was 'exhaustion' or some such bullshit :lol:

Robert makes his 'sweet smell' remark on the June 21 '77 show, after "Sick Again".

Even better on this March 20 '75 show is when he admits he was tripping his balls off when they played Van in 1973! The papers claimed it was 'exhaustion' or some such bullshit :lol:

I thought it was pretty funny when he threw the person who provided whatever it was under the bus.

Has anyone listened to the "remaster" of 20/03/1975? I can't hear any differences between the new release and Snow Jobs.

(tripmender at R-O: If you're going to poke fun at me, at least be correct - "pugnant" is English, not Latin.)

One of the best Plantations I've ever heard is from the 3/4/75 show when Dazed and Confused is introduced. After a very humourous comment about Bonzo performing in Oh Calcutta on Broadway in New York Plant goes onto say 'I'm sorry if anyones stoned or having a bad trip man 'cause I'm gigglin me 'ead off! This was the first thing we ever got off on together as a group, apart from chicks'. No doubt he had partaken in a few drinks and a fatty and maybe a bit of blow backstage during Moby Dick. Its this kind of candidness that Robert had with the crowd that sets Zeppelin shows apart from other bands in my book.

Even though I haven't heard it yet , I'm glad a soundboard recording of this top notch show has finally emerged. A special night with plenty of "pungent" all about the place :lol: .

Even though I haven't heard it yet , I'm glad a soundboard recording of this top notch show has finally emerged. A special night with plenty of "pungent" all about the place :lol: .

How come you haven't heard it yet? Pretty saturated out there on the net.

How come you haven't heard it yet? Pretty saturated out there on the net.

Just haven't had the time to get to it. I'm very curious though. Having attended both the 19th and 20th, my impression has alway's been that the second night was the better of the two. Maybe it was just that pungent smell :lol: but in all honesty, I was always straight as an arrow at Zeppelin gigs. Didn't need anything

Just haven't had the time to get to it. I'm very curious though. Having attended both the 19th and 20th, my impression has alway's been that the second night was the better of the two. Maybe it was just that pungent smell :lol: but in all honesty, I was always straight as an arrow at Zeppelin gigs. Didn't need anything

Overall the second night is better, IMO. However, I prefer WLL from the 19th. I think JPJ got a little funkier with the bass that night, but the theremin work was about 2 minutes shorter. Heartbreaker is real bad on the 20th, but otherwise a very solid show. If you need a download link, pm me.

Overall the second night is better, IMO. However, I prefer WLL from the 19th. I think JPJ got a little funkier with the bass that night, but the theremin work was about 2 minutes shorter. Heartbreaker is real bad on the 20th, but otherwise a very solid show. If you need a download link, pm me.

Thanks mate :) .

He's from Canada, they have different problems. I can only assume he is referring to people talking out their ass, of which he accused chs at the hotel. An action I find quite repugnant, which by the way is a word found in most American dictionaries. The same cannot be said of pugnant.

He's from Canada, they have different problems.

Hey! :lol: We'll invade yer country armed with sharpened ice skates and flasks of Tim Horton's and burn down the White House like we did in 1812, motherfucker! :lol: :lol: :lol: Torture you Yankees with Anne Murray and Stompin' Tom records and bad CBC TV shows, dammit! We'd elect Don Cherry for president in a landslide...

...As for this 3-20-75 soundboard, now I know what all them 'audiophiles' are going on about when it comes to 'loudness wars' and 'listening fatigue'. IMO EVSD mastered the fucking thing so hot that I could not focus on listening for too long, almost headache inducing (I'm old, gimme a break) Into the recycle bin it went...the audience recording isn't the greatest (though it's not that bad) but as usual it's my preference.

And that "Heartbreaker"...Jesus Christ. Lotta ammo for the "Page is a sloppy guitarist" detractors there. He should have only knocked back a mickey instead of a '26', I'd reckon...

Archived