Interesting notes about Bonzo and Buddy Rich.

I seem to remember a quote from a drum magazine some years back to the effect that, while Rich was careful never to really knock rock drummers, he didn't feel that what they did was in the same league as his big band work. Somebody played him a Zeppelin song, Rich sat down at his drums and copied the technique perfectly - "Anyone can do that," I believe he said.

Then he probably cursed the person out and fired him or her.

post-12775-0-34310200-1336996132.gif

post-12775-0-67571700-1336996142.gif

I have the Buddy Rich DVD, in which he makes a comment that " their is no individualism in Rock drummers these days, they all sound the same" I'm not positive (without watching it again) when the interview/comment was taped, but it was in the early 70's I believe. He did come off as sort of an arrogant guy and I think he felt he himself was the best. I read the link you posted Wolfman and found a few quotes interesting. I saw the comment posted about someone asking him what he thought of Bonham and Rich gave the kid a smart ass look/stare and proceeded to nail 10 seconds of Moby Dick to precision.

That doesn't really impress me. Any good drummer, guitar player, bass player, etc, etc. can give you a dead on example of someone elses playing/a lick/style, what have you (if it's listened to or familiarized with)

There are multitudes of musicians who can mimic a persons playing, so by Rich doing that says nothing besides that he knew of Bonhams style/technique and his various chops.

The one thing I can be certain of saying is that, as great as Rich was-noboby could touch Bonhams right foot ability to that level. And that was one of Bonham's signature trademarks.

Buddy Rich was without a doubt the best and most influential Jazz / Big Band Drummer of all time..

Nobody even comes close.

I saw him twice in the early 80's.

He was absolutely unreal...even in his mid-to late 60's..

It sucks that he would be-little John Bonham's drumming because Bonham was such a huge fan of his.

Typical Jazz snobbery.. it's a shame.

http://www.drummerwo...hp?t=693&page=3

Scroll down a little and there are some cool quotes (ex/ Rich's daughter took him to see Zep at MSG in 1973).

I love that those posts are from 7 years ago and just now making their way here. Buddy Rich was awesome, I have quite a bit of his music. I think he dismissed too many rock drummers because of their technique. A lot of them can play really well even though they don't hold the sticks properly.

Would love to hear his take on Neil Peart's performances at the BR Tribute shows.

It is truly ashame that many of the greats seem to suffer from extreme lack of self-esteem. Just because someone is one of the best at what they do does not give them license to treat others like shit. People like Buddy Rich, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker to name a few can kiss my ass. Talent is no excuse for bad attitude.

It is truly ashame that many of the greats seem to suffer from extreme lack of self-esteem. Just because someone is one of the best at what they do does not give them license to treat others like shit. People like Buddy Rich, Jack Bruce, and Ginger Baker to name a few can kiss my ass. Talent is no excuse for bad attitude.

Agree 100% -

I don't agree with his opinion on matched grip either ..

of course they aren't copying in correctly....

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=hq684tmvd1A

edit: Rock Historian is right on about Bonham's right foot ...

Most Jazz Drumming revolves around the upper kit ... the hands and the high hat ....

The Bass Drum is usually there for just color or accents in Jazz..

John Bonham's sound was built from the bottom up..

I'd put his bass drum work up against anyone...

• 4 weeks later...

The biggest problem Buddy Rich had was never mastering his own ego. Rich, Krupa, Bonham. The three best ever to draw breath on this planet and only one of them played Rock. Too bad Buddy couldnt give credit to someone so influential. Rich hated the fact that Rock was bigger than Jazz or Big Band ever was, so he liked expressing his disdain for that by not recognizing anyone outside of those genres. I personally hate jazz and big band, but as a musician, I can recognize and give kudos to someone elses talent.

Archived