Led Zeppelin guitar tabs thread

icantquityoubabe

I don't always find tabs very useful. I have a hard time reading them when the get into bends and hammer ons and pull offs... and I get annoyed trying to read it all

I like playing by ear better but it doesn't always work so sometimes I just have to resort to finding a tab or a video on youtube explaining how to play it... the latter choice I like better

My point is, don't go straight to tabs. If you've really kicked your own ass trying to figure out the song, then use them. And as for chords, if you know any music theory, you'd know typical chord progressions (such as the 3-chord theory). If you really can't find out what the chord is ( possibly due to extreme distortion?), it's better to get actual sheet music or look up what chords they are. Tabs make a close-minded music-player, not a musician.

one of my friends is attempting to learn guitar but he has no musical theory and the three chord theory makes no sense to him. He's a fan of AC/DC so I told him all he needed to know was the E, A, D, and G chords and he'll have the basis of most of their songs. He can't figure that out by ear though he needs the tabs for it

He should be able to figure out "Back in Black" quite easily. Only 3 chords. If anyone reads this that has ever played In My Time of Dying, I still have a bit of a problem with this. A guy years ago showed my how to play it on slide and I always thought it was correct-sounded great. (CGCGCE). But someone here says its EAEAC#E. He knows his music. But I just played it in that tuning. It is in sync but not sure if its better. I have to get the cd out and compare. dont have access to it now however. (want to know what tuning Page uses on the studio version)

Well mate I know that with the tabs/music I have seen it suggests the EAEAC#E, also I have looked on Wikipedia, it says it is played in open A chord which is the tunning above !! But at the end of the day if your ears say its better with the version you played years ago from a mate then either its because you are just use to it or it is better !!

Hope you get to find out which tunning Page does use for it!!

Why not just watch Jimmy play it and learn from there?

Tough to follow video. They show the guitar here and there but it isnt going to help with what tuning he is in. Only the listening and playing at the same time. ie matching the key, will tell for sure. The one Im most interested in is In My Time of Dying. There are several tunings used playing Zepp. Stones use the "drop D" alot. But Page uses several. If I had his money I could have 5 guitars and leave them all tuned differantly. But I dont, and when you keep changing the tunings its not great on the strings. I love to play but I hate stringing guitars.

Tough to follow video. They show the guitar here and there but it isnt going to help with what tuning he is in. Only the listening and playing at the same time. ie matching the key, will tell for sure. The one Im most interested in is In My Time of Dying. There are several tunings used playing Zepp. Stones use the "drop D" alot. But Page uses several. If I had his money I could have 5 guitars and leave them all tuned differantly. But I dont, and when you keep changing the tunings its not great on the strings. I love to play but I hate stringing guitars.

Page uses dadgad for that. Also, everytime he uses his danelectro it is always in dadgad. And if you can get the tuning its easy to go from there by watching the videos or tabbing it our yourself, and Page likes to use the same licks all the time so a lot of the time you can tell what he is doing. Page also uses open G tuning a lot and then there is the Rain Song tuning, which I forgot, but I know how to tune to.

After picking up my electric and listening to O2 version of IMTOD, I say you are correct Leddy! But I havent checked the studio version yet. So you get an A my friend across the Pond!

Cool thanks !! I will get around to actually playing it one day !! or at least tring too :) hows the neck/back ???

EAEAC#E is used according to Leddy (see post above). Sounds good but it also sounds good in C tuning. Who knows. Have the cd in my car but non player downstairs where I have the electic guitar set up. One of these days Ill solve this and post my findings. (bet you all cant wait-lol) Anyway, he does play Kashmir in the tuning you just posted. It sounds great. Just got done playing some Rolling Stones in open G. Wish I were rich like Jimmy and had 5 guitars so I could tune each one differant. Thanks for the post.

His danelectro is always tuned to dadgad. I'm not sure bout the O2 but in Earl's Court it is at dadgad. Just about everything in the 02 was halfstep down though but I'm not sure. :blink:

His danelectro is always tuned to dadgad. I'm not sure bout the O2 but in Earl's Court it is at dadgad. Just about everything in the 02 was halfstep down though but I'm not sure. :blink:

When you say that its always tuned to that do you know that as fact or just speculation ??

Thanks Leddy. Now I know Ive played it in the wrong key for many years. Oh well. I am playing a bit today. day after tomorrow I go under the knife so I dont know when the next time Ill get to play after that. Ill probably have some more guitar questions for you down the road. By the way, I have been checking out that tab site you posted. It is nice to have. There used to be a real good one called Olga.net but they still have a post up about being in a legal situation so they had to shut down. I dont know what the big deal is. all it is is musicians posting their own interpretations of guitar tabs of many famous bands. Talk to you later

Hope it all goes to plan in Hospital !! :)

I've been using PowerTabs for a while now, and I highly suggest using it, you can get the tabs, play along with them, and slow down the song to learn it (by making all the notes into quarter notes if they're eight notes, or just decreasing the tempo marking). I really love powertabs because you can tab your own stuff on it too and hear what it will sound like, I cant imagine using regular tabs now.

No, i was not endorsed by them >.>

Archived