Band of Joy Artists Den Coming to DVD and Blu-ray

sam_webmaster

Sorry about that. I didn't see this original post. I was just excited about it being released finally. I caught the first night here in Nashville. The second night was a crazy snow storm but it added to the overall story of them filming the show. The snow storm kind of shut down parts of the city. It says a lot of how loyal his fans are to brave getting to and from the show. I had a couple of friends text me as they were en route to the show asking if the show was worth it due to traffic, etc. I told them if they could make it, they should do it!:)

You know you would get a lot more traffic to your site if you were just a regular poster around here. Just put a link as your signature and then mingle.

Sorry about that. I didn't see this original post. I was just excited about it being released finally. I caught the first night here in Nashville. The second night was a crazy snow storm but it added to the overall story of them filming the show. The snow storm kind of shut down parts of the city. It says a lot of how loyal his fans are to brave getting to and from the show. I had a couple of friends text me as they were en route to the show asking if the show was worth it due to traffic, etc. I told them if they could make it, they should do it! :)

Thanks for chiming in. I believe this is the first time I've seen you post without providing a link to your site. Still, not sure how you couldn't see the original post...even if you didn't, it's right there in the title of the thread.

• Administrators

DVD Review: Robert Plant and the Band of Joy

In a show at the Artists Den in Nashville, singer assembles his best live band since Led Zeppelin

Robert Plant & the Band of Joy. “Live From the Artists Den” DVD (Universal)

4 Stars

Bands take time to find themselves. At first, they’re strangers in search of a sound — a signature that says more about them together than any individual player’s style could alone. If they don’t find it, they’ll end up as just hired hands, punching the clock for the pushiest player’s vision.

Band of Joy learned that the hard way. In 2010, leader Robert Plant gathered some well-seasoned musicians in Nashville for a project meant to follow up a wildly successful band he’d formed with Alison Krauss. Raising expectations even higher, Plant named his new fivesome after the band he played in with drummer John Bonham, just before the two got tapped for some group named Led Zeppelin.

Unfortunately, the studio CD Band of Joy concocted ended up sounding like a pale and constipated sequel to the Krauss project. Only after they went on tour did the tentative new group find itself as a band — in the most stirring sense of the term, no less.

Proof lies in a new DVD, “Live From the Artists Den,” which captures Band of Joy’s date in Nashville (where they recorded their stodgy studio work). The DVD mirrors my memory of the Beacon show from the same tour in January 2011, a performance which ranks among the most electrifying I’ve seen Plant give. And, yes, that includes the Zeppelin dates I saw in the ’70s.

Only on the road did Band of Joy learn to play in intimate synch. The rhythm section of bassist Byron House and drummer Marco Giovino lay down a deep and warming foundation for the rest to play away on. Giovino sits way back in the beat, leaving lots of room for the high-flying solos of pedal steel player Darrell Scott and ax-man Buddy Miller. Miller emerges as a full-fledged guitar hero in the flamboyant ’60s fashion.

If Miller adds the strongest rock influence, the others bring in tricked-out elements of country, folk and blues.

Zeppelin touchstones like “Black Dog” hew closer to swamp blues, oozing with voodoo beats that come straight from the bayou. Zep’s “Tangerine” exaggerates its original country twang, while “Houses of the Holy” moves from psychedelia to a roots-rock swing.

Besides the six Zeppelin songs, Band of Joy offer cuts from their studio album, but with far more grease, along with a Plant solo song (“In the Mood”) and some gospel and folk pieces. The latter cuts allow the other singers to show their mettle, including the churchy shouts of Patty Griffin on “Move Up,” and the caring moans of Darrell Scott and Miller on their leads.

Plant himself pares down his vocals from his Golden God role to become a credible country raconteur. Perhaps the only letdown is the take on Zep’s “Rock ’n’ Roll,” which returns it to rote rockabilly — exactly what the 1971 original subverted.

Luckily, in the rest, Joy wind up idealizing the very notion of a live band — one that seems both ruthlessly tight and utterly free all at once.

By Jim Farber / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1104970

• Administrators

rp_artistden.jpg

30 second TV spot: https://vimeo.com/44816665

“In the Mood” 30 second web exclusive: https://vimeo.com/44804571

“Ramble On” 30 second web exclusive: https://vimeo.com/44804711

90 second Trailer: https://vimeo.com/44535318

Pre-order the limited edition DVD and Blu-ray lives at:

http://bit.ly/LFADPlant

I like your optimism. I guarantee it's coming eventually and I hope it is released as a CD also.

Like your optimism as well, even though the comment is unfounded. I also "hope" it comes out not so much for the concert; we've all seen it a million times by now on youtube. Sure Blue ray would improve sound and clarity, but I am looking for some good extras like backstage and rehearsal footage.....a pipe dream, but nothing to lose by hoping. I guarantee I'll hope!

I like your optimism. I guarantee it's coming eventually and I hope it is released as a CD also.

You will have visited Mars for vacation before the O2 show comes out.

I really believe after it is officially the last Led Zeppelin concert ever they will release it. As long as Page, Jones and Plant are still alive and able to play there is still technically a chance of one more show. I think after one of them passes away or Page loses use of one of his arms or something then they will release it as the final concert. I think that's a reasonable way to go considering how many bands have played final shows that turned out to be a brief pause in their touring. I think maybe we could get it without something terrible happening but that's how I really believe we'll wind up with an official release.

• Administrators

NY Daily News - Jim Farber’s Top Ten in music for the week of July 8, 2012

Robert Plant, Rebecca & Fiona, Jerry Douglas, Ed Sheeran, Rodriguez...

1) Robert Plant & The Band of Joy “Live From the Artists Den” This glorious DVD captures the Golden God’s most organic live band since Led Zeppelin. No lie!

2) Violens “True” Brooklyn’s Violens make soft-focus pop frescos, with songs both catchy and airy.

3) Rebecca & Fiona “I Love You Man” Synth-dance-pop from Stockholm with baby doll vocals that suggest Betty Boop at a rave.

4) Jerry Douglas “Traveler” Union Station’s wily dobro player explores deep blues and fluid folk on his new solo CD — with help from Paul Simon, Mumford & Sons and more.

5) Ed Sheeran “+” The British pop-folkie sings in a slippery voice that cascades around melodies as delicate as fleece.

6) Rodriguez “Searching for Sugar Man” The soundtrack to a movie about a “lost” ’60s rocker makes an ironclad case for the guy as a folk-rocker of righteous power.

7) The Mickey Finns “Prayers and Idle Chatter” New York Celtic-rock, rich with rollicking charm.

8) With Lions “Equipo” Cinematic rock you can see.

9) Glen Hansard “Rhythm & Repose” The man behind “Once” turns his solo debut into a beautifully hushed reverie.

10) Giant Sand “Tu cson” The world’s first “country-rock opera” makes theater out of desolation and dust.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1107873

Watched the DVD. I also saw them live. This DVD is a great view. I am already a fan of Zeppelin's acoustic music, RP &SS and of roots music in general so for me this Band is an easy fit. In watching this DVD I think it's easy to see why Robert is so excited about this Band and so am I. I think there are a lot of highlights. Ramble On is inspiring.

I'm watching the DVD now. I also noticed that the credits in the booklet give writing credits to James Page and John Baldwin. How ritzy sounding!

do you mean ritzy as a bad thing ?

Nah...I think you're being too hard on them

I know they've used John Baldwin for credits before but I don't recall when (WTLB P/P remix?).

I don't recall seeing credits given to James Page before... I am curious to know the reason why the name change?

One thing that surprised me is that the credits to Gallows Pole is not listed at all as as traditional it only says James Page/ Robert Plant.

• 6 months later...

the tag and outro on Rock & Roll is so well done it's ridiculous...

The talent pool on that stage is so wide and deep jiminy Christmas and its nice that the leash wasn't so tight such that it stayed away from Led Zeppelin karaoke by BOJ. Great show. Now I have to go watch Please Read the Letter....

Archived