I just heard that "Freezer" has died.

Hammersmith

I just heard from a friend that has informed me that Art Parr aka "Freezer" has died - he didn't have any other details. Of course Freezer recorded at least 3 Led Zeppelin shows ('73, '75, & '77) from Baton Rouge and I believe the '77 show is still uncirculated. He was a legendary audience taper (as well as a controversial forum poster!). Cheers Mr. Freezer.

Freezer was a fucking legend. Love him or hate him, the man knew how to tape a show. I prefer his stuff even to the sainted Mike Millard (who, of course, Freezer hung with back in the old days) Hope they're up there in the great beyond trading taping stories right about now.

R.I.P.

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/announcements/r-i-p-mr-freezer/

I really hate to be the one to ask this, but don't get me wrong I have complete respect for this man, but since he's passed away, does this mean we either will finally get his Baton Rouge '77 tape, or does it mean that now we never will? Again, I'm deeply sorry to those who knew him, I'm sure that they are going through a very tough time right now, I'm just curious.

Jeez, that's terrible. Why would he throw away something so highly wanted by others? That's like a big middle fingers to fans.

Because it was his and most likely to prevent some arse wipe bootleg company from making money from something they would have got for nothing. As legendary as his recordings were nobody has one that is less than 4th or 5th generation from the master. It was his money that bought his concert tickets, his money that bought his recording gear.....Thus he could do whatever he liked wih HIS tapes.

Because it was his and most likely to prevent some arse wipe bootleg company from making money from something they would have got for nothing. As legendary as his recordings were nobody has one that is less than 4th or 5th generation from the master. It was his money that bought his concert tickets, his money that bought his recording gear.....Thus he could do whatever he liked wih HIS tapes.

True, but why not do what Millard did and mark his tapes?

In a way he did mark his tapes. That link said he was throwing them out, but whose to say that's what happened? Sure, it'd be great to have them but the problem is that the tapes aren't mine or yours. They were Freezer's and he could do whatever he wanted with them. I don't quite understand the feeling of entitlement that I have seen all over the net since his passing. What makes us entitled to his personal recordings? Not even a week since his passing and I have seen numerous people starting rumors and pleading for the tapes.

As I have posted elsewhere I didn't know much about Freezer other than what I have read at TTD. I was always fascinated by him and found it intriguing that all of his posts seemed to become legendary. I have thoroughly enjoyed his tapes and am grateful that I have had the chance. I am saddened by his passing, and only around the age of 60.

I have thoroughly enjoyed his tapes and am grateful that I have had the chance. I am saddened by his passing, and only around the age of 60.

That's it mate. You've hit the nail right on the head !

I laughed so hard at some of his posts at TTD, I nearly shat myself. A true master of the genre. RIP.

Indeed...hopefully he didn't call St Peter a wall eyed apple knocking pigfucker when he got up to the pearly gates :lol:

Now I'm convinced that when the Apocalypse comes it won't be Gabriel's trumpet we'll be hearing but rather Freezer's whistle!

I gave up on TTD when they banned Freezer...that was a total spite job on the part of the moderators responsible. Fucking place is just a sewer now...

I really hate to be the one to ask this, but don't get me wrong I have complete respect for this man, but since he's passed away, does this mean we either will finally get his Baton Rouge '77 tape, or does it mean that now we never will? Again, I'm deeply sorry to those who knew him, I'm sure that they are going through a very tough time right now, I'm just curious.

No offense, bam, but IMO it's rather poor taste to bring the 'gimme gimme entitlement issues' (as Freezer would put it) into this discussion. Either we'll see more of his recordings in time or we won't. If we don't, I'd say the man gave enough during his lifetime as it is.

True, but why not do what Millard did and mark his tapes?

Freezer did mark his tapes...whaddya think the whistle blasts (among other assorted noisemakers) were?

No offense, bam, but IMO it's rather poor taste to bring the 'gimme gimme entitlement issues' (as Freezer would put it) into this discussion. Either we'll see more of his recordings in time or we won't. If we don't, I'd say the man gave enough during his lifetime as it is.

Freezer did mark his tapes...whaddya think the whistle blasts (among other assorted noisemakers) were?

Haven't heard them, so I didn't know. Also, like I said, I felt awful asking to begin with, because I knew exactly how selfish it sounded before I even typed it, but I never talked to the guy, so I didn't know him at all, (and had only read his name in passing on another thread), but I never meant to give off a "gimme gimme" vibe, (and as lowly second-hand fan who thrives off of mp3's, I certainly don't feel entitled in the least) I was simply curious, and knew that if I didn't ask then, I wouldn't remember to do it until long after this thread had cooled off. As a matter of fact I've been listening to his recordings for the first time in honor of him, and everything people say about his wonderful recordings is true. I have complete respect for this good man and am truely sorry about his passing and can only offer my deepest condolences to anyone who knew him.

My condolences to Mr Parr/Freezer's family and friends if they happen to read this. The Great Jam In the Sky has just got one soul better (and the boots are gonna sound *fab*!). The guy was a legend in this peculiar strata that is 21st Century uber music fandom & vibrant trading circles, brought forth into clarity by the internet. I only heard about Freezer in recent years, when he'd been more radio silent. So, to me, Freezer was like Keyser Soze, man. In a good way, ok? :)

As an aside to some of the above posts about his remaining archive, from the little I know of Freezer's demeanour, I'd like to imagine him laughing his head off knowing that he's taking unreleased tapes to the grave. "That'll piss off those little greedy pricks forever! A-ha ha ha!" Or something similar. Maybe there's a message in it, like in a Bill Hicks cruel-but-right kinda way. "They'll drive themselves insane, unable to bear the loss of knowing about the lost tapes!" That alone will bear his name onwards, perhaps making a new phrasal verb: "He did a Freezer".

RIP

Forgive the newbie-type question, but I never had any first-hand interaction or dealings with 'Freezer', just heard about him second- or third-hand: How did he get the nickname 'Freezer'? Was it bestowed upon him by someone else or was it self-administered? What does it mean?

Forgive the newbie-type question, but I never had any first-hand interaction or dealings with 'Freezer', just heard about him second- or third-hand: How did he get the nickname 'Freezer'? Was it bestowed upon him by someone else or was it self-administered? What does it mean?

He claimed that when he first got back into taping and whatnot back in the late nineties he felt like a man who'd just gotten out of chyrogenic (sp?) storage, things had changed so much as far as music trading went...hence the nickname. At least that was the reason he gave in one of the epic battle/discussions he took part in over at the Den.

Archived