Sky Watch

betteremily

I'm not sure if meteor showers count but the Perseids are coming up on August 11th.

The Perseids are a good show. My wife and I once counted 130 in a 45 min span....it wasnt like The Day of the Triffids, but it was cool never the less

Edited by zepscoda

Night before last I was outside having a smoke. While I was out there, I saw a faint looking start scooting across the sky past other stars and then disappearing. A few moments later I saw what looked like a meteor fly what looked like up, into the sky. It had a very bright fire trail which only lasted a second.

When I first found out about them, it was during a meteor shower I experienced back in the 70's. A friend alerted me to them when one passed what seemed like what was just over our heads, leaving a green vapor trail. I've never seen anything like that since but I try my best not to miss them every August.

[i have a very odd recurring dream where a dark black military-type helicopter hovers over my home and shines spotlights all around... for whatever reason i am terrified of it]

[other than that, i've seen quite a few shooting stars and sattelites across the sky]. [i used to reside in the open country in northern michigan where the skies are always clear].

[i believe in other worlds and always look for them, but i never seem to find anything]

[i have a very odd recurring dream where a dark black military-type helicopter hovers over my home and shines spotlights all around... for whatever reason i am terrified of it]

[other than that, i've seen quite a few shooting stars and sattelites across the sky]. [i used to reside in the open country in northern michigan where the skies are always clear].

[i believe in other worlds and always look for them, but i never seem to find anything]

I have heard something before about a black military helicopter of extraterrestrials. Somewhere on YouTube...

The Mars Mission Curiosity is a success!!!! NASA had a cool "live" program that simulated the mission/landing. I was able to move the rover and it's relationship to the stars. I took these screen shots as it was happening live. What a trip that was!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.flickr.co...s/78764955@N06/

that must have been fun!

• 4 weeks later...

I had to look up blue moon to remind myself exactly what it is all about. They don't come often, the next one isn't until May of 2016. I found a clip that explained it for anyone curious and interested in these kind of events. And to my surprise, yes the moon really can be blue! :) Missy

I'm stepping outside now to have a look.....

It is even more beautiful in the country (:

You are so right about that! There's nothing like being far enough away from the light pollution the human species has littered our skys with. Seeing the night sky, the wisdom of the milky way as it seems to flow between the glimering points of light of our solar systems past.

here is a good light pollution map:

USlpsmall_neg.jpg

Edited by zepscoda

You are so right about that! There's nothing like being far enough away from the light pollution the human species has littered our skys with. Seeing the night sky, the wisdom of the milky way as it seems to flow between the glimering points of light of our solar systems past.

here is a good light pollution map:

Wow! I have never seen one of those! Thank you so much!

try this app for your phone....it's the balls.....

http://www.google.com/mobile/skymap/

we had fun watching mars and jupiter lately.......you just stand there with your phone and the app shows all the constellations/ stars/ planets in the sky both day and night from your location......stargazing has never been easier

and it's free

:banana: