Sky Watch

betteremily

^ Hi Sean!

I am getting up at 4:30AM so I can watch this:-) No lights in the area I live in plus no moonlight and a clear sky should make for great viewing. The local news stated we should have a good view. :)

Luckily we are having great weather here. Perfect to have coffee on the deck and watch this:-)

On my deck with coffee. Clear skies. I see lots of stars but no meteor shower, whatup?

But the fish are jumping out of the water like crazy! May be the only show I see tonight!

Edit: The meteor show started around 4:30am CST, with the most frequent and brightest activity just after 5:00. Cool stuff! :)

Edited by Ddladner

From a satellite view from outer space of the USA you can see a part of northwest Texas that is dark compared to the rest of the country. This is not by chance. They have taken strides and laws included to reduce light so that astronomers can go there and have an area free from light to get a view of the stars that one may have seen over a hundred years ago before technology and big cities took over. Where I live its a terrible place to be an astronomer. I have always had interest but I do not have a good environment to go out and buy good equipment. I will rely on the Hubble to do the work for me. No comets will bear my name

When we drove near Marfa, Texas at night I stopped and I have never seen so many stars in my life from horizon to horizon. I will never forget that.

The Perseids was a good show too here in Washington.

When we drove near Marfa, Texas at night I stopped and I have never seen so many stars in my life from horizon to horizon. I will never forget that.

The Perseids was a good show too here in Washington.

I haven't been over to Marfa yet. I hear there's a cool art seen going down out there....while stargazing did you see the Marfa Lights? Edited by zepscoda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live in the Los Angeles area and on a clear night from the hill by my house I can see the lights of aircraft lined up for final approach to Los Angeles international airport.  The "final approach" pattern begins well beyond the California - Arizona border and as the aircraft near Los Angeles airport the spacing of the aircraft are about 2 minutes apart---- on a clear night you can see the aircraft lined up for miles and miles.

Now just out of curiosity I started timing the spacing of these aircraft using a far off hill with a tower as a marker.  What I  have discovered is that at certain times there are "other aircraft" that join the pattern for a few minutes but then just disappear later.  I don't think commercial aircraft would be turning their lights off, and I'm sure that a normal aircraft would be picked up on radar; these just don't seem to be normal aircraft.

A few years ago I read an article written by a retired commercial airline pilot (forced to retire at age 45) that he and other pilots for years have seen mysterious aircraft near most of the major world airports.  This pilot went so far as to file an official sighting with the Air Force only to be reprimanded and then later assigned to smaller airline route out of spite for being a whistle blower.  According to this and many other pilots, there is this "rule" about not mentioning these frequent sightings as it is not good for business and any commercial airline who has not attempted to silence their pilots gets a lot of harassment from the FAA.  The pilot went on to say that he had seen these mysterious aircraft shoot a beam of light at the commercial aircraft in what he speculated was some type of scanner or something. Once just as an experiment this pilot brought on board a small radiation detector like workers in nuclear plants wear on their uniforms to detect leaks.  What the pilot discovered was that after the mysterious beam of light this detector showed a spike in radiation similar to what an xray would detect. Clearly aircraft are being scanned.

Now the only question is are these government aircraft or possibly alien aircraft that are hovering around our major world airports?  I tend to think they are alien aircraft because there is no other logical explanation. The only other explanation could be that I'm just nuts and maybe seeing things, but that would be hard to prove because who really knows when somebody is just making things up?

Wow, I was waiting for the punchline...... You don't believe in intelligent aliens, yet you think these lights are just that?

Could you film them and post here?  

swamp gas.   :)

I don't know what that could be.... is that the sun behind the cloud? If not, .?????

It looks pretty cool..must be the sun behind the clouds. Not sure whats giving off the colors? Maybe a plane dropped some fuel...its pretty far out looking for sure.

Edited by zepscoda